Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Building New Home- Best place to Install NEMA 14-50 to charge X in Garage????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could someone who owns Model X and or Model S please post a picture or diagram showing best place to build the outlet into a 2 car garage? Wife and I are building new home with 2 car garage and in less than 24 mos we will have need to charge both a Model X along with an S. I plan on using NEMA outlets integrated with 2 Siemens 240V systems and the Tesla provided adapter. I'm just trying to picture where to have our building company place the outlets. I'm thinking my wife will park her Model X in left parking spot, and we can have that outlet placed just to the rear of the left falcon wing door. And for charging my S in the right spot, maybe having the other outlet placed in ceiling at midpoint of garage? Is that even feasible? Again photos and or diagrams are appreciated- Excited to be charging two cars in the near future and from there moving on to SOLAR powered charging!

I've included floor plan of the home if you want to annotate that although our layout will not be identical.

- - - Updated - - -

Just realized I included a floorplan with 3 car garage. Oops.

Attachments

• GLN-112-Floorplan.jpg
    GLN-112-Floorplan.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 264
Depends on how you'll use each.

For instance, we installed two 14-50's on either side of our 2-car garage, roughly in the middle of where the vehicle will be parked. This was done so we could charge with our Model X facing in, or out. That is, whether we entered the garage front ways, or backing in.

However, if you did this, one of the vehicles would have run the charging cable around the back of the vehicle if both were parked forward-in.

So, first decide how you will be parking, and go from there.

Depends on how you'll use each.

For instance, we installed two 14-50's on either side of our 2-car garage, roughly in the middle of where the vehicle will be parked. This was done so we could charge with our Model X facing in, or out. That is, whether we entered the garage front ways, or backing in.

However, if you did this, one of the vehicles would have run the charging cable around the back of the vehicle if both were parked forward-in.

So, first decide how you will be parking, and go from there.

Thank you that's helpful. Never looked at it that way. Also the new SUMMON feature on 7.1 is worth considering. Sounds like I'll have some good discussion over morning coffee tomorrow :)

- - - Updated - - -

As long as all I have to do to enable reverse parking into garage using summon is back up to the garage, I would have no problem at all parking that way if we installed our outlets like you did. Get home from work, back into driveway, get out and go inside after initiating summon auto parking. Can't wait to see neighbor's reactions :)

We just completed building our new home. We have had the MX reserved since 2013, so I designed the garage for the MX as well as the HCWC. I can offer a few bits of advice that will make things a lot easier. 1. Look into the Liftmaster 8500 Jack Screw garage door opener. There are a number of benefits, but the biggest is that it is a side mount unit, so there is no overhead motor and chain. 2. Have your electrician place one of the electrical subpanels in the garage, preferably directly beside where you will place the wall charger. You want the electrical circuit wiring to be as short as possible from the breaker. This is especially true with the higher amperage circuits of 80A or 100A. Attached are images of our setup. From this position in our three car garage, we can reach any of the stalls. We have always backed into our garage, as a matter of safety, so backing in the MX or MS is the way we would park anyway.
Lift.jpg
TeslaCharger.jpg
TeslaCharger2.jpg

I have a similar garage setup to you and always park my S in the single stall so I installed a HPWC on the wall between the two garage doors. Obviously, a HPWC could be substituted for a 14-50. I then threw in another 14-50 on the far left wall, roughly in line with the charge port assuming I pulled forward into the garage (as I normally do). This setup allows for charging in all three garage parking spots as the HPWC can be brought around to the middle spot easily.

Garage Layout.jpg

We just completed building our new home. We have had the MX reserved since 2013, so I designed the garage for the MX as well as the HCWC. I can offer a few bits of advice that will make things a lot easier. 1. Look into the Liftmaster 8500 Jack Screw garage door opener. There are a number of benefits, but the biggest is that it is a side mount unit, so there is no overhead motor and chain. 2. Have your electrician place one of the electrical subpanels in the garage, preferably directly beside where you will place the wall charger. You want the electrical circuit wiring to be as short as possible from the breaker. This is especially true with the higher amperage circuits of 80A or 100A. Attached are images of our setup. From this position in our three car garage, we can reach any of the stalls. We have always backed into our garage, as a matter of safety, so backing in the MX or MS is the way we would park anyway.View attachment 107775View attachment 107776View attachment 107777

This is great. We'll definitely look into that garage door system. Is the benefit of no overhead motor or chain that the falcon doors can open up higher for easier ingress/egress? Also, will you just share the one charger? Do you both work full time? Thx!

- - - Updated - - -

I have a similar garage setup to you and always park my S in the single stall so I installed a HPWC on the wall between the two garage doors. Obviously, a HPWC could be substituted for a 14-50. I then threw in another 14-50 on the far left wall, roughly in line with the charge port assuming I pulled forward into the garage (as I normally do). This setup allows for charging in all three garage parking spots as the HPWC can be brought around to the middle spot easily.

View attachment 107778

- - - Updated - - -

I like that solution. Never considered putting anything on the wall between stalls since I didn't think it would work logistically. Glad I now know differently! I'm guessing they ran wiring through ceiling and then down the wall?

If the space is wide enough, both the cutoff switch and Wall Connector can be mounted between the doors. In this situation there is a one car door on the left and a two car door on the right. The cable can reach to all three locations. The reason for the large loop of cable is to remove and replace the wire in one step to charge the vehicle at the two car side. A small piece of color tape on the cable helps return the wire to the right location each time. The cable runs behind the Model S.

IMG_5120.jpg

The smaller cable coil stays on the cable holder. This was installed before Tesla had shipped their plastic cable holder.

Last edited:
Yes, we plan on sharing. With the 72A charger on the MX and us having a 100A circuit, we could fully charge in a few hours. However, with 250 mile range it is unlikely both cars would run low and need to be charged at the same time on the same day. My guess is we won't need be plugging up everyday, just as we don't top off our gas tanks everyday.

I like that solution. Never considered putting anything on the wall between stalls since I didn't think it would work logistically. Glad I now know differently! I'm guessing they ran wiring through ceiling and then down the wall?

Correct. The wiring (and conduit, if necessary) is run through the ceiling and down the wall. It'll be easy since you're building new. If you opt for a HPWC, one minor item to pay attention to is the size of the emergency cut off switch, as they can be quite bulky and it doesn't appear you have a whole lot of space there. Mark Z has a pretty slick one posted above.

I'd also echo MikeJr74's recommendation of the LiftMaster 8500 series. We went with these because they allow more overhead clearance but they're also incredibly quiet, look nice, and gave us the option for battery backup (which I also have). These also support LiftMaster MyQ, which allows you to control the doors and view their status from their smartphone app, which has come in handy several times. Here's a little photo showing how clean and out of the way they are:

8500.jpg

Last edited:
We always park front-in so we installed the two 14-50 outlets near the garage doors. One is right between the two garage doors and the other is at the back left. Both are 5 feet up because we hang it from the ceiling. I'll attach some photos of our S charging

View attachment 107843View attachment 107846View attachment 107847View attachment 107848

This is fantastic! Again, another method I didn't consider. It helped having some of these answers in my mind tonight while we were meeting with the builder and finalizing plans for the garage. We are still back and forth about upgrading from a two car garage to a three car. I think it makes sense but never really liked the idea of owning 3 cars (even though we currently do). Having 2 ICE is rough... my wife said "well it's nice having the third for when our other car has trouble/ breaks down." I said honey when we both have Teslas we won't need a 3rd car :) Anyways would appreciate advice on whether or not to build 2 or 3 car garage. I'm sure most have you have gone house hunting numerous times - was it a deal breaker? Do a lot of people out there in the 4 bedroom market look for the 3rd car port?

Even though I've only ever had one car (other than a brief period when my daughter had a car and lived with us) I would *kill* for a 3-car garage. One for the car and the other two bays for a workshop. I've spent the last week and a half cleaning out my garage to make room for the X

If you can afford it, ALWAYS build a 3 car garage. For me, a 3 car garage was a MUST. 2 car garage was a relative dealbreaker. I built my house before my second child was born. The third stall is used either for my summer sports car, or when the kids grow up, my kid's car. It's like memory when buying a computer: you can never have too much memory. At some point, it becomes price prohibitive. But other than price, no one ever complains about having too much space in their garage or home....

I'm enjoying seeing everyone's charging installations in their garage. As far as the garage space is concerned, I grew up in a two car garage family, my wife and I just bought our first home and it has a 3 car garage. It was one of the many features that put this house over the top of the rest when we were looking to buy. Best thing ever since we actually own 3 cars and provides amble extra amounts of storage along the wall. You can never have too much storage space! And it's a good point if you have kids, because in our childhood home we would have 5 cars piled up in the driveway when everyone was in town once we got older.

This is fantastic! Again, another method I didn't consider. It helped having some of these answers in my mind tonight while we were meeting with the builder and finalizing plans for the garage. We are still back and forth about upgrading from a two car garage to a three car. I think it makes sense but never really liked the idea of owning 3 cars (even though we currently do). Having 2 ICE is rough... my wife said "well it's nice having the third for when our other car has trouble/ breaks down." I said honey when we both have Teslas we won't need a 3rd car :) Anyways would appreciate advice on whether or not to build 2 or 3 car garage. I'm sure most have you have gone house hunting numerous times - was it a deal breaker? Do a lot of people out there in the 4 bedroom market look for the 3rd car port?

I have a three-car garage attached to the house... definitely a good idea. It's always usable space, whether working space (car area / craft area / shop area) or whether a car is there or whether it's just used for outside-type storage. Warning: it may come with a desire to pick up a classic car... :)

I would say it depends greatly on your situation. If you have children or expect to have children having a third car garage (or at least a storage area like we have--see picture above) is great for bicycles, strollers, etc. If you do a lot of yard work it may be nice to have the third garage for all that stuff without cramping your cars. There are many more reasons too... motorcycle, third car, work area, etc.

We built our home with a 2-car garage and almost immediately regretted it. We added a storage garage which is open to the main garage and has a golf-cart sized door. It houses my motorcycle, tools, bikes and other stuff for the kids.

Backing in is probably optimal for driveway pedestrian/child safety and for ingress/egress to the cars, if you walk between car and house inside. It also minimizes the risk of cables getting entangled in the garage doors. We went with the backing in setup and put two 14-50 on the back wall. One in the middle and one in the left corner, seen from the cars. so that they are always at the charge port corners but don't interfere with unloading right behind the cars. Have had this setup for 9 months now and couldn't have been happier.

In terms of future proofing, the back wall might be easier when you install your summon charge robot

Last edited:
Anyways would appreciate advice on whether or not to build 2 or 3 car garage. I'm sure most have you have gone house hunting numerous times - was it a deal breaker? Do a lot of people out there in the 4 bedroom market look for the 3rd car port?

Not to brag, but I have a 4 car garage (2 attached and 2 detached). For me, it is what sold the home. My wife was less impressed. We have both cars, a boat, and a camper all parked under cover so we don't need to worry about clearing snow. We also keep the riding snow blower in the detached garage. There is plenty of room for workspace, lawn funriture in the off season, and bikes. Always get as much garage as you can so you don't have to park outside while all the useless junk takes up precious room in the garage.