Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want Summon to pull to one side of the garage? Here's how

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have read many people complaining that they wish the Summon feature would put the car all the way to the right side of the garage to leave room between the left side of the car and the other car in the garage for the drivers door to have room to open (not that it matters since you're NOT IN THE CAR!! LOL). The summon feature however, as most have discovered, does its best to center the car between obstacles on the left and right side of the car.

I'm in the same boat and want my car further to the right. So, I parked the car where I wanted it, placed a cardboard box about a foot away from the left front tire. Next time the car pulled in, it avoided the box as and obstruction and turned right as it approached the box and ended up centering the front of the car between the box and the wall, exactly where I would have parked it myself.

Hadn't seen it discussed, but also discovered another bypass to the Tesla logic. With 7.1 auto pilot, the car seems to ask you to put your hands on the steering wheel a lot more often, at least every three minutes. I tried to test this myself and never got past three minutes before it asked me to check in by holding the steering wheel. Maybe it's just me, but I had to grip the steering wheel tightly and give it a little tug before the message would go away. Certainly not a natural quick grab of the steering wheel and somewhat uncomfortable. I then decided to try using my leg/knee, much as we do when we need our hands free for a moment, thus using your leg/knee to steer. This worked amazingly well. Just lifted my leg/knee up to the wheel with a quick nudge and the "Hold the Wheel" message immediately disappeared. Apparently it was able to detect the nudge coming from behind and below the wheel much easier than my fingers grabbing the wheel itself. Plus it's a much more natural motion that isn't quite as aggravating. I'm hoping Elon will loosen up on this restriction and this every 1-3 minutes thing really takes away from the enjoyment of Auto-Pilot. Or how about a voice activated reply? "I'm still here", let the car hear that and clear the message.

Have read many people complaining that they wish the Summon feature would put the car all the way to the right side of the garage to leave room between the left side of the car and the other car in the garage for the drivers door to have room to open (not that it matters since you're NOT IN THE CAR!! LOL). The summon feature however, as most have discovered, does its best to center the car between obstacles on the left and right side of the car.

I'm in the same boat and want my car further to the right. So, I parked the car where I wanted it, placed a cardboard box about a foot away from the left front tire. Next time the car pulled in, it avoided the box as and obstruction and turned right as it approached the box and ended up centering the front of the car between the box and the wall, exactly where I would have parked it myself.

Hadn't seen it discussed, but also discovered another bypass to the Tesla logic. With 7.1 auto pilot, the car seems to ask you to put your hands on the steering wheel a lot more often, at least every three minutes. I tried to test this myself and never got past three minutes before it asked me to check in by holding the steering wheel. Maybe it's just me, but I had to grip the steering wheel tightly and give it a little tug before the message would go away. Certainly not a natural quick grab of the steering wheel and somewhat uncomfortable. I then decided to try using my leg/knee, much as we do when we need our hands free for a moment, thus using your leg/knee to steer. This worked amazingly well. Just lifted my leg/knee up to the wheel with a quick nudge and the "Hold the Wheel" message immediately disappeared. Apparently it was able to detect the nudge coming from behind and below the wheel much easier than my fingers grabbing the wheel itself. Plus it's a much more natural motion that isn't quite as aggravating. I'm hoping Elon will loosen up on this restriction and this every 1-3 minutes thing really takes away from the enjoyment of Auto-Pilot. Or how about a voice activated reply? "I'm still here", let the car hear that and clear the message.

Good tip on getting the car to park more to the side, thanks! Regarding the nag, I thought if you had your hands on the steering wheel at all times as you're supposed to with Autosteer you won't get the nag in the first place. Is this not correct?

So, I parked the car where I wanted it, placed a cardboard box about a foot away from the left front tire. Next time the car pulled in, it avoided the box as and obstruction and turned right as it approached the box and ended up centering the front of the car between the box and the wall, exactly where I would have parked it myself.

I have the same problem. Looking at this....

Cortina 03-747RBC Polyethylene Portable Delineator Post with 10 lbs Recycled Rubber Base, 49 Scientific

As an option

Your cardboard box works, as would the pylon, presumably, but as I think about it those both are truly kludgy remedies.

Doesn't it make sense that for a home garage or other such "anchor" location, the vehicle ought to be able to be taught exactly where it is to go? As follows:

1. Operator engages Learn Mode when outside garage
2. Operator drives vehicle to exact desired parking spot; disengages Learn Mode

From then on the auto-driving should, of course, be done in conjunction with the auto sensors such that the errant box or stray bike would override the vehicle's ability to go home to bed.

I envision the car having stored a closely-spaced bread crumb trail of sites from Position 0 to Position Final, as it is folly to expect the vehicle to initiate its Go To Bed sequence from precisely the same starting point ever. So it would be sniffing out, so to speak, that learned pathway as it negotiates itself to its final position.

Your cardboard box works, as would the pylon, presumably, but as I think about it those both are truly kludgy remedies.

Doesn't it make sense that for a home garage or other such "anchor" location, the vehicle ought to be able to be taught exactly where it is to go? As follows:

This should, of course be done in conjunction with the auto sensors such that the errant box or bike overrides the vehicle's ability to go home to bed.

I envision the car having stored a closely-spaced bread crumb trail of sites from Position 0 to Position Final, as it is folly to expect the vehicle to initiate its Go To Bed sequence from precisely the same starting point ever. So it would be sniffing out, so to speak, that learned pathway as it negotiates itself to its final position.

Better yet, you should be able to START with a parked vehicle (in the garage), then drive it out.

With 7.1 auto pilot, the car seems to ask you to put your hands on the steering wheel a lot more often, at least every three minutes.

I agree the nag is more common, but "at least every three minutes" is just not true. Just yesterday I went 8 minutes and 34 seconds (plus or minus a second--I timed it with a stopwatch) at 70 mph on the interstate without touching a single thing on the car--not even the volume.

I agree the nag is more common, but "at least every three minutes" is just not true. Just yesterday I went 8 minutes and 34 seconds (plus or minus a second--I timed it with a stopwatch) at 70 mph on the interstate without touching a single thing on the car--not even the volume.

You can say that YOU don't have a timed nag, and luvnMyTS can say that HE has a timed nag, but it's too early to say that EVERYONE has or doesn't have a timed nag. For some people there is a timed nag, for others there isn't. And it's not yet clear what differentiates the two. Road? Speed limit? Car? Historical driver interaction? State? Something else? etc.

I don't think it's State, both of us are in VA, and I've had a 3minute timed nag and a 1mintue timed nag, depending on the road type.

Excellent box trip. That'll be useful.

It seems like a good feature for Tesla to implement this would have been to park the car yourself then allow a "save" option so it could have a good idea of the distance to objects all around the car. Subsquently it would use that information for future summon parking.

Hadn't seen it discussed, but also discovered another bypass to the Tesla logic. With 7.1 auto pilot, the car seems to ask you to put your hands on the steering wheel a lot more often, at least every three minutes.

I’m confused why people think they should be removing their hands entirely from the wheel. The notes are pretty clear!!!
Quote: “Autosteer [beta] is a hands-on feature. You must keep your hands [lightly] on the steering wheel at all times.”

Image: http://i.imgur.com/MuyqaZ5.png
MuyqaZ5.png

Better yet, you should be able to START with a parked vehicle (in the garage), then drive it out.
I agree - that should work better, at the very least in terms of the Learn function. The more I think about it, however, the breadcrumbs - snail-trail is perhaps a better analogy - remains crucial to this concept.

You can say that YOU don't have a timed nag, and luvnMyTS can say that HE has a timed nag, but it's too early to say that EVERYONE has or doesn't have a timed nag. For some people there is a timed nag, for others there isn't. And it's not yet clear what differentiates the two. Road? Speed limit? Car? Historical driver interaction? State? Something else? etc.

I don't think it's State, both of us are in VA, and I've had a 3minute timed nag and a 1mintue timed nag, depending on the road type.
I get the nag fairly frequently and it seems to be related to curves and speed. There are winding sections of I 80 where I get it all the time. I think the car gets nervous and needs reassurance.

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent box trip. That'll be useful.

It seems like a good feature for Tesla to implement this would have been to park the car yourself then allow a "save" option so it could have a good idea of the distance to objects all around the car. Subsquently it would use that information for future summon parking.

I’m confused why people think they should be removing their hands entirely from the wheel. The notes are pretty clear!!!
Quote: “Autosteer [beta] is a hands-on feature. You must keep your hands [lightly] on the steering wheel at all times.”

Image: http://i.imgur.com/MuyqaZ5.png
View attachment 107760
Usually keep my left hand curled loosely around the wheel and my arm resting on my left leg. I still get the nag. To make it go away I have to grab the wheel tight and move it a bit.

I get the nag fairly frequently and it seems to be related to curves and speed. There are winding sections of I 80 where I get it all the time. I think the car gets nervous and needs reassurance.

That's not a timed nag. That nag has been there since v7, due to the limited field of view of the sensors.

There are a lot of reports of TIMED nags now, stopwatch timed (not ballpark timed), and it's repeatable. The issue is that different users have different set times before the nag goes off, and there is no correlation yet.

From then on the auto-driving should, of course, be done in conjunction with the auto sensors such that the errant box or stray bike would override the vehicle's ability to go home to bed.

I'm in agreement a learning feature would be helpful in future iterations. I'm also in agreement having a cardboard box sitting in the garage is not the most elegant solution (even though it certainly works!).

Perhaps there can be a setting for left and right distance thresholds similar to Summon Stop Distance?

Good tip on getting the car to park more to the side, thanks! Regarding the nag, I thought if you had your hands on the steering wheel at all times as you're supposed to with Autosteer you won't get the nag in the first place. Is this not correct?
If you're going down a straight stretch of road requiring no input, even with your hands ON the wheel, it won't sense torque and still nag you.

The nag seems to be much more closely tied to turns in the road than it was before. On long straightaways, I am getting significantly less nagging than before, but it consistently comes on during turns of more than x degrees, where x is yet to be determined.

Of course, that is my perception. The lack of nagging could be because I have been doing most of my driving in the dark since 7.1. Or for some other environmental reason. But its certainly not timed at 3 minutes.

I can agree that the Nag can be related to road conditions. Can't say that I had a straight road for a lengthy period of time. I personally never got over three minutes. I have a 400 mile drive coming up tomorrow. There will be plenty of long straight stretches of highway to find out.

As far as actually keeping your hands on the steering wheel instruction, that's just Elon's "save my ass" disclaimer. When actually driving, without auto-pilot, you're engaged with the car and have pressure on the wheel. Problem with doing the same with auto-pilot engaged is that you can easily shut it off if there's too much pressure on the wheel. Holding the wheel lightly is more uncomfortable than just driving the car. Unfortunately there were a few morons that posted idiotic videos to youtube of them sitting the back seat. Thanks to those VERY LIMITED FEW, they ruined it for everyone. Prior to the update, I was able to go 30 miles at a time without once being asked to hold the wheel. I took the same trip and it was asking at least every three minutes. So 7.1 definitely changed the nag timing. It may go longer than 3 minutes on straight roads, but the point is, it's still there more now than it was with 7.0 thanks to the few idiots. Hopefully in time, as the whole system gets better and more reliable, Musk will reduce the nag requirement. For now, I usually just have my hand resting on my left leg, directly below the steering wheel (for comfort), so I can grap it immediately if the car gets itself into trouble.

wrt parking in garage, I would be quite happy to place a white line down the center of where I wish the car to go.
Decision process could then be, if no white line then center according to surroundings, else park on center line unless results in collision with obstacles.

I guess Elon just wants to prove the car can operate automatically without additional markings, but this would be great for those who require their car is a specific position.

What we really need now is Tesla to provide a retrofittable enhanced charge port connector that will eject the charging plug which could be supported on a simple sprung boom.
Then this feature could actually be useful more than (rather good) gimmick.