Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model X USB Hub also offers a dedicated Wi-Fi connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On page 114 of the X manual, it states "The Model X USB Hub also offers a dedicated Wi-Fi connection. This connection allows passengers in the rear seating positions to change climate control settings using a unique Tesla smartphone app."

Does anyone have any details on the dedicated Wi-Fi connection or the unique Tesla smartphone app (assume to be different than the normal app)?

On page 114 of the X manual, it states "The Model X USB Hub also offers a dedicated Wi-Fi connection. This connection allows passengers in the rear seating positions to change climate control settings using a unique Tesla smartphone app."

Does anyone have any details on the dedicated Wi-Fi connection or the unique Tesla smartphone app (assume to be different than the normal app)?

There was supposed to be one for the model S with exec seating as well but never materialized. So who knows. Maybe it will come along now if this is a standard feature in a lot of the Xses.

I don't know about android but iPhone's can't connect to the Internet using USB (they can only share cellular data with other devices via USB). Not sure how you can connect to it, perhaps a founder or sig can provide more info.

sounds cool though

I don't know about android but iPhone's can't connect to the Internet using USB (they can only share cellular data with other devices via USB). Not sure how you can connect to it, perhaps a founder or sig can provide more info.

sounds cool though

I think you misunderstood. The X hub, which uses USB to connect to the car, is also an access point that creates a wi-fi network that passengers can connect to using their phones/tablets. Then using an app they can control HVAC, seats, etc.

Phone->Wifi->USB hub->Car

This is at least what the manual is stating.

I think you misunderstood. The X hub, which uses USB to connect to the car, is also an access point that creates a wi-fi network that passengers can connect to using their phones/tablets. Then using an app they can control HVAC, seats, etc.

And this would be equivalent to the way that GoPro cameras work with mobile devices. The GoPro sets up a WiFi network with the camera's name and a password, then every time you open the app it changes the Wi-Fi settings on the phone to attach to that network.

doesn't cheap GM and Buicks have this already

Last I checked, I could not change my climate control or activate my seat heaters in the Buick Enclave nor Chevy Traverse using the OnStar app on my phone. In fact, the OnStar app doesn't even use the Wi-Fi, it uses a polling mechanism to allow you to do a remote start/stop, unlock/lock, panic/unpanic. It takes up to 5 minutes for the car to poll the servers for a command.

In the newest vehicles, OnStar does provide a Wi-Fi point as part of the communications module for access to the Internet, but it requires an additional data plan. if you have AT&T, you can add it to your share plan. (I laugh when I see the commercials showing 3 kids, each with a tablet, viewing a full-length movie from this device - that would blow through a month's worth of data in just over an hour.)

At some point in the past, Tesla spoke of offering a Wi-Fi access point but has not. The Tesla hardware has the ability to offer the same Wi-Fi access point, but it would require Tesla to figure out a strategy behind how customers will pay for data and how it will be measured. Tesla collects a lot of information from the car for improving its technology, and it's not just as simple as putting my car on my data share plan - because I'd be paying for Tesla's data collection. That's the biggest hold-up.

Hold on, I'mma let you finish, but you need to use your phone, while your IN your car, to adjust something IN the car?

I'm sorry that the seat warmer is burning your butt little Timmy, but we are in a tunnel, and without cell coverage we can't turn down your seat warmer...

What a waste of engineering time.

Hold on, I'mma let you finish, but you need to use your phone, while your IN your car, to adjust something IN the car?

I'm sorry that the seat warmer is burning your butt little Timmy, but we are in a tunnel, and without cell coverage we can't turn down your seat warmer...

What a waste of engineering time.

Doesn't require cell coverage. That's why it creates a local Wi-Fi network similar to GoPro. And you don't NEED to use your phone, the controls are also on the touchscreen. For added convenience in the back it gives the ability to control things without having to add buttons or touchscreens to clutter the back (where the kids just beat them up anyway -- the rear temp & radio console in my Traverse has a few buttons that are iffy because of this).

You see it as a waste of engineering time, I see it as smart feature engineering with what you have and what our kids are likely to have in the car.

Although I'm not looking forward to my kids yelling "DAAAAAAD, Anthony is turning my seat heater up to THREE!"

I'd rather just have a button... guess I'm old... :(

Where are you going to put that button? And are the kids in the back seat going to be able to all reach the button? It's an elegant solution IMO. The alternative is putting a touch screen in the rear somewhere, but why bother with that when everyone has a touch screen in their pocket. Tesla just needs to make sure it is easy to set up and use.

So the X creates its own hotspot? But it only provides access to the Tesla App when connected?

Not sure if everyone picked up the implication that plugging a mouse into a Tesla USB port puts a mouse pointer on the front display so that is can be controlled via the mouse. Just thought I'd make that explicit.

I played around with this in 2013. You could sold connect a keyboard. I thought tesla had removed this ability, likely by removing the drivers?