Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v7.1 Feature MISSING?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
Okay, so v7.1 adds homelink auto open/close for all Model S cars, right? Well, Tesla also updated their iOS app on the 10th and it states "use the app to... open/close a homelink-controlled garage door (for U.S. vehicles only)" as being one of the changes. I simply can't figure out how to trigger the garage from the app, am I missing something?
FullSizeRender 3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I should mention that my car is in fact on 7.1 as well.

Tanner, I'm sure the HomeLink button will migrate to a more accessible place in the future. I'm also sure the engineering team working on Summon needed to open/close garage doors, so grabbed the HomeLink button and put it on their screen (vs. negotiating with the larger team for space higher up on the menu hierachy). Not such a dumb decision, really, just a team focused on their task at hand, not thinking that others would like access, too.

Again, I'm sure it will migrate to a more accessible place in a future update. Easy to see why everyone would want this, whether or not they have AP.

Easy to see why everyone would want this, whether or not they have AP.

I'm not being sarcastic here, just obtuse, I guess. But why would everyone want this? Your car has to be near the garage since it sends the signal. So it's not like you can remotely open the garage door under any condition - your Tesla has to be nearby. I have a home automation system that allows me to open and close the doors, and that can be handy from time to time. But it doesn't rely on the vehicle.

Thanks for your patience with my thickheadedness.

I'm not being sarcastic here, just obtuse, I guess. But why would everyone want this? Your car has to be near the garage since it sends the signal. So it's not like you can remotely open the garage door under any condition - your Tesla has to be nearby. I have a home automation system that allows me to open and close the doors, and that can be handy from time to time. But it doesn't rely on the vehicle.

This would allow you to use the Tesla app as a key to your house when you go for a walk (you likely carry your cell phone with you anyway) without needing your keys. It allows you to get in to your garage to start driving your Tesla, without needing a key to your garage. There are a multitude of reasons beyond summon (which, let's face it, in it's current incarnation is more of a gimmick than a useful feature)

Until I update my garage door system, it would be handy to have - if I have a Tesla in the garage & need to give someone garage access - sure, I'd like to have it. Perfect world? No. But still handy to have at times.

ftr, if I were to make a list* of people on the forum who I consider thickheaded, you would not be on that list. But of course you know that.

* not that I have such a list, or any list categorizing people, for that matter, nor am I currently considering making such a list, but I reserve the right to make such a list should I wish

Tanner, I'm sure the HomeLink button will migrate to a more accessible place in the future. I'm also sure the engineering team working on Summon needed to open/close garage doors, so grabbed the HomeLink button and put it on their screen (vs. negotiating with the larger team for space higher up on the menu hierachy). Not such a dumb decision, really, just a team focused on their task at hand, not thinking that others would like access, too.

Again, I'm sure it will migrate to a more accessible place in a future update. Easy to see why everyone would want this, whether or not they have AP.
One would assume, yet if there's one thing I've learned it's that the app is NOT Tesla's first priority. There's still a long list of necessary features the app is lacking that could easily be implemented by any developer worth his (or her) salt in a matter of hours. Moreover, Tesla DOESN'T like including early adopters in all the new goodies - planned/forced obsolescence. They're here to do one thing: make money selling cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Another reason, imagine letting the Tesla ranger in to fix your car when you're not even home... open the garage and unlock the car from your app.
Or if you have a disconnected garage that you either need a key or a keypad to get into. An app is much more convenient.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a *huge* difference between building a demo and retrofitting something in production. The last 10% of work usually takes 90% of the effort.
True, but they COULD do it... However, spending money and R&D on a retrofit < moving forward with selling new cars.

Oh, go ahead and make the damn list!:biggrin: Not thick headed at all ohmman.

I am still anxiously awaiting the update and am a bit pissed that I don't have it. I used to get the updates quite early on. But maybe my car has been pushed to the back of the bus. I mean, it IS fifteen months old now... But I did notice that my app, while not having the controls, does give me the option to enable notification for the summons feature. Insult added to injury with that!:mad:.

And all I really want is the auto open for the garage. I don't really care about the rest.

This would allow you to use the Tesla app as a key to your house when you go for a walk (you likely carry your cell phone with you anyway) without needing your keys. It allows you to get in to your garage to start driving your Tesla, without needing a key to your garage. There are a multitude of reasons beyond summon (which, let's face it, in it's current incarnation is more of a gimmick than a useful feature)

Got it. I think I'm so accustomed to my existing system (which incidentally I use exactly the way you describe above) that I wasn't thinking in the proper terms. I was more thinking about being in the car, pulling out your phone.. you get the idea.

ftr, if I were to make a list* of people on the forum who I consider thickheaded, you would not be on that list. But of course you know that.

I'd keep that list (which you don't have or keep or use) handy. You may want to amend it.

My car is only 3 months old and the latest, greatest and I don't have it yet either. Democracy. And I got 7.0 only a week after I took delivery. Thought I was spoiled, but not any more. Well... still spoiled.
And here I am with a 2013 P85 and I got it today... :biggrin: I'd GLADLY transfer my spot in the software update line to someone with autopilot if I could, since it adds pretty much nothing for me (still have to test the auto homelink, should be cool, but not as cool as AP cars).

Agree. I originally thought AP was a fun gimmick, but now I find myself wondering if I want to give up certain features based on experiences of users who have already updated. I love it that much and find it's not gimmicky at all now. Summon could become so as well.

I will still update. Have to. I'm in it for the game.