Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Handling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to this forum. Do not own a Tesla but my father is looking into one. The main issue we both have is the lack of sound (love a proper exhaust note) and fear that its handling my not be close to anything else. Currently I have an older E46 M3 that we got just for the feel of the drive and my dad has a 911 Turbo. How well can the P85 take turns at higher speeds? Also if any of you had an issue with sound (or lack of) how did you get over it?

came from an RS5 and an AMG Merc.

Sound - yes it's not there. Do I miss it ... nope.
The silence is quite addictive, to the point you notice in queues that you can hear other traffic.

Handling -(ref an 85D) you would never know its weight unless somebody told you. Big thing is low rotational mass as all the weight is low but also centred and distributed within the axles.
Found it surprisingly enjoyable to drive. Trackday no, fast road absolutely great. Plenty of ex BMW M drivers here, Porsche owners too. Rarely hear of any regrets.

The only way to answer this for yourself though is to go drive one, but don't do it unless your wallet is prepared for it!

The Tesla is a luxury sedan - not a sports sedan. I also have a 911 turbo and had a CLS55 AMG. They are totally different cars. It might come close to the AMG because of the low center of gravity, but it is still a big, heavy car and it does not have an adjustable suspension. And you will know it if you try to throw it around. Accept if for what it is - don't buy it thinking it is something that it is not.

Comparing a 911 and an M3 to a Model S doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. Comparing it to an M5, an S63, an RS7, makes more sense. It handles extremely well for its size, but it's not an M3 or a 911, nor should it be. Totally different cars with different purposes.

New to this forum. Do not own a Tesla but my father is looking into one. The main issue we both have is the lack of sound (love a proper exhaust note) and fear that its handling my not be close to anything else. Currently I have an older E46 M3 that we got just for the feel of the drive and my dad has a 911 Turbo. How well can the P85 take turns at higher speeds? Also if any of you had an issue with sound (or lack of) how did you get over it?

When my wife is along it is never a problem!! :smile: Just kidding.... but seriously, I dont miss the sound at all, and now it seems odd to be in a car that makes sound, and rude to be in one that makes excessive sound.

That said, the Tesla is fun to drive, but it is a heavy car. I've owned both of the cars you mention above, and prefer to drive the Tesla. Drive one agressively and see what you think. The Tesla is not as nimble as either of your cars, but overall more fun all the time!!

Last edited:
I used to love the engine roaring sound, but not anymore, just a waste of energy.
Watch the videos that MS beat muscle and exotic cars, the louder the engine, the more embarrassment it gets when MS beat them gracefully.

MS is not a sports car, so the handling is not as good as M3 or 911 turbo. But, I believe it's better than all the 4 doors sedans, on par with Porsche Panamera.

Comparing a 911 and an M3 to a Model S doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. Comparing it to an M5, an S63, an RS7, makes more sense. It handles extremely well for its size, but it's not an M3 or a 911, nor should it be. Totally different cars with different purposes.

To a E46 M3 there is nothing to be lost in a Model S, except for a really hard ride (if you think that relates to handling somehow, as some M3 enthusiasts think). Against a E90 M3, sure, the M3 is definitely better. I would notice too, if I was driving on the Nordschleife, ever.

I continue (after three years) to be amazed at what I can get away with now that there is no noise to give me away :)

The above is especially true when you are talking about the way MS launches and how radically different the traction control is on the car.

Model S Performance Handling Compared to my BMW

Just going to leave this here.

Fastest way to improve handling on a MS is to deflate the tires a little. The recommended pressure is INSANELY high, but I know it's for efficiency but even the 19's don't ride well compared to having coilovers and 35 series tires on my M3. The opinion on the sound is obviously going to be biased here.
The next step is to get real tires at a reasonable pressure. Even the 21" tires are an old design. The newer Super Sport tires are WAY better than stock but I don't believe they make them in the right size for the 21" wheels. The stock wheels and tires are also narrow for the weight of the car, but again, I'm sure it's for efficiency purposes.
It just depends on what's more important to you.

After you drive it for a month, you'll hate the engine noise and vibration if you go back to your old car, which will feel as if it's broken.

I do not think I will hate engine noise and vibration. I am very much the type of person that likes having a feeling of driving a car that you can feel everything. I like the feel of a mechanical car.

- - - Updated - - -

To a E46 M3 there is nothing to be lost in a Model S, except for a really hard ride (if you think that relates to handling somehow, as some M3 enthusiasts think). Against a E90 M3, sure, the M3 is definitely better. I would notice too, if I was driving on the Nordschleife, ever.

How long can one drive a P85 hard? I want to drive the car hard at a track but do not want to drive only a dew laps and rub out of juice and wait for a recharge.

Some people enjoy the noise of a car as part of their own experience of the car.

Some people enjoy the noise of a car because they really just enjoy the attention they get from the people around them.

If you're the former, you won't miss the noise when you drive the Model S.

If you're the latter, the Model S is probably the wrong car for you.

The P85 isn't a track car. If you're looking for M3 or 911 Turbo track performance/sound, you will be disappointed with the P85. But off the track, the performance is more than adequate (not 911 Turbo adequate, but as others have said, on par with vehicles like an S7 or 5 series) and the tradeoff for no engine sound is no booming drone on the highway. I love the sound of a high performance ICE engine, so I understand your concern, but you don't get a P85 for that aspect of performance.

Well if I can't really track the car then I personally do not see a huge want for it. Although that only is a small ammount of time. It is the time that means the most to me because you really get to see how a car is under high stress. Maybe I will look again in a few years when battery tech is better and holds more power for long time while being lighter.

Well if I can't really track the car then I personally do not see a huge want for it. Although that only is a small ammount of time. It is the time that means the most to me because you really get to see how a car is under high stress. Maybe I will look again in a few years when battery tech is better and holds more power for long time while being lighter.

Sounds good, bye.