Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: "The Falcon has landed" | Recap of Falcon 9 launch and landing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's some new footage of the landing in here that I don't think has been seen before. One clip from Stage 1 during the 'boostback burn', and a few other cameras/angles of the actual Stage 1 landing. Lots of crowd and 'action shots' from the crew at Hawthorne and Canaveral as well.

I'm glad it revisited the satellite deployments at the end. Oh yeah -- we have to deliver those payloads to orbit, too :smile:

Almost as good as the first time - particularly as didn't have the "Is it going to make it?" anxiety. New for me was the clear shots of the legs unfolding.

- - - Updated - - -

I had to think about Mr Musk's statement that ship landings are needed for high velocity missions. Does this mean that the additional fuel needed for a booster turnaround to come back to Mama proscribes the oomph needed to throw cargo citius, altius, fortius? That is, that "high velocity" is NOT to be understood as "rapid mission turnaround", for which a back-to-pad would presumably allow, as opposed to ship landing. Have I got this correct?

I had to think about Mr Musk's statement that ship landings are needed for high velocity missions. Does this mean that the additional fuel needed for a booster turnaround to come back to Mama proscribes the oomph needed to throw cargo citius, altius, fortius? That is, that "high velocity" is NOT to be understood as "rapid mission turnaround", for which a back-to-pad would presumably allow, as opposed to ship landing. Have I got this correct?
I think that's accurate. As I understand it, the Falcon 9's hand-off from first to second stage takes place at a lower altitude/speed than many orbital rockets in the same class, with the benefit being that less energy is needed to turn the first stage around and return it to the launch site for landing. But for heavy payloads or for specific harder-to-reach orbits, it's better to put that energy into the second stage, and then land the first stage hundreds of miles downrange on the "droneship". This may be even more likely when SpaceX starts launching their Falcon Heavy configuration, with essentially 3 'first stages' -- I'd expect it might become common for the two side-boosters to return to the launch site, and the central core booster continue downrange to land on the 'droneship'. We'll see.

Agree, the shots of the legs deploying were fantastic. Gives a better appreciation of how late in the process the 'unfolding' happens -- just a few seconds before touchdown.

Video: "The Falcon has landed" | Recap of Falcon 9 launch and landing

Thanks Doug!

Damn that DOES NOT GET OLD! I teared up all over again watching the 1st stage picture perfect touchdown. Loved all the new views of different phases of the flight. And this time they threw in a fraction of a second shot of Elon in the Canaveral control room. Wish I could have seen his face when he ran outside and realized that the 1st stage was safely on the ground...

Thanks Doug!

Damn that DOES NOT GET OLD! I teared up all over again watching the 1st stage picture perfect touchdown. Loved all the new views of different phases of the flight. And this time they threw in a fraction of a second shot of Elon in the Canaveral control room. Wish I could have seen his face when he ran outside and realized that the 1st stage was safely on the ground...

Elon thought the stage crashed and blew up. He went back inside the launch control room to find out that it hadn't. He didn't go into detail about specifically how he found out and from who from the interview where he gave out the information.

This video and the other landing videos have made me tear up many times.

Whoever has been hired to make these videos is really good.

Non-sequitur add-on: I just watched a YT video of Elon's best 8 moments. He commented on his low point and how, at Christmas, both Tesla and SpaceX was saved in 2008. It occurred to me that SpaceX had their failure and the landing happened just before Christmas. The failure happened on his last birthday. From that low came another big Christmas moment for Elon.

Last edited:
Elon thought the stage crashed and blew up. He went back inside the launch control room to find out that it hadn't. He didn't go into detail about specifically how he found out and from who from the interview where he gave out the information.

Do you have a link to that interview? I'd be really interested to watch / read it.

Edit:

Never mind. I found it. Here's a link for those interested:
Postlanding Telecon With Elon Musk - Falcon 9 v1.1 RTF Orbcomm OG2 M2 - YouTube

Transcript:
*sugar* Elon Says - Transcript - Postlanding teleconference with Elon Musk

Elon said:
I ran out onto the causeway to watch the landing and the sonic boom reached me about the same time as the rocket touched down, so I actually thought at first that it had exploded. But, it turned out to be just that the sonic boom almost exactly coincided with the touchdown point, the sound reached me several seconds later. I thought, well at least we got close, but then I went back into launch control and it was this amazing video of the rocket still actually standing there on the launch pad, or the landing pad I should say. I can't quite believe it.

Last edited by a moderator: