Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reported autopilot accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

schonelucht

Mar 10, 2014
Nederland
If this thread is a duplicate or otherwise not on topic, feel free to move it. Otherwise this thread can serve to report autopilot (related) crashes.

Local news (in Dutch) reports a Tesla autopilot crash in the Netherlands. Not too many details except that the driver told the driver of the truck he hit that 'he was driving on autopilot'. Despite the severity of the crash no one was injured.

On 7.0 my car was routinely trying to do exactly this on AP. It wasn't just a case of the car not seeing the truck drift into my lane. My car was actively sliding right towards the back of the tractor trailer. At one point it happened 3 times in one week and I learned to turn off AP when overtaking trucks in a left hand turn. Hopefully this is cleared up in 7.1.

It's probably something Tesla should work on. More people have reported that they had AP disengaged while thinking it was on. That kind of driver-confusion is probably more dangerous than AP itself.

If people are going to not pay attention they are going to get in accidents.
The AP indicators are pretty tough to miss and the audible cues now in place make it really tough to miss.
It does take a bit of getting used to, but while getting used to it the driver should be even more careful.

The driver is responsible for the car's behavior, AP or not.

Insurance risks with AP?

It's probably something Tesla should work on. More people have reported that they had AP disengaged while thinking it was on. That kind of driver-confusion is probably more dangerous than AP itself.
My biggest fear is how insurance companies are going to handle any claims related to AP. Sure it's cool,l but it just doesn't seem worth it to me at this point to risk using it. fwiw

If people are going to not pay attention they are going to get in accidents.
The AP indicators are pretty tough to miss and the audible cues now in place make it really tough to miss.

This is blatantly false : we already have multiple confirmed accidents in a short time span with a limited number of cars on the road due to drivers not being aware that their car wasn't on AP.

The driver is responsible for the car's behavior, AP or not.

I think this attitude is not good enough. Building a safe car means also taking into account drivers who are not entirely responsible with their vehicle. For example, engineers design body strength not just for cars driving under the speed limit, but also take into account drivers who go (well over) that limit.

I agree completely. The audio tone that indicates "AP enabled" is very similar to the "AP not enabled". As I don't drive looking at my instrument cluster much then it is easy to get confused. It needs to be a more obvious sound when AP won't enable.

I agree completely. The audio tone that indicates "AP enabled" is very similar to the "AP not enabled". As I don't drive looking at my instrument cluster much then it is easy to get confused. It needs to be a more obvious sound when AP won't enable.

well, there's only so much the manufacturer can do. the other equally important area is training of the driver. as such new technology emerges, i'm sure driving schools will and must adapt to new realities and include monitoring of assistance systems into the training.

this is very evident in aviation, where the pilot has ultimate responsibility but is trained to constantly monitor relevant systems, and that includes visual scanning of the instrument cluster while maintaining a situational awareness of the outside.

i am against pushing everything onto the manufacturer, because then the driver/pilot needs to be eliminated. i am pro enabling drivers/pilots to be integrated into the system through training and well designed interfaces.

This is blatantly false : we already have multiple confirmed accidents in a short time span with a limited number of cars on the road due to drivers not being aware that their car wasn't on AP.
"Multiple confirmed accidents" in Teslas that were caused by drivers thinking AP was active but it was not, really? Please provide sources. I was not aware of this rash of Tesla accidents due to driver confusion about AP.

Have you ever heard the loud noise an airplane makes when the autopilot is no longer on? You also have to acknowledge it or the warning will never end. But even with that planes have crashed because the pilots thought auto was still on.

i have heard it yes. and it doesn't need to be acknowledged (it is not a master caution/warning). and yes, no system will ever prevent all conceivable crashes.

i just wanted to emphasize that the human factor / training is often forgotten / underestimated. i for one are completely happy with the MS' autopilot enable/disable sounds. i find them very distinctive and sufficient in volume. but then again i am attuned to state changes and scanning of the instruments as a pilot.

Over and over again. There's a usability issue here that Tesla should address. It doesn't seem like they have any engineers in charge of the user experience, judging by how other features get crammed into the interface. The whole cruise control stalk is a disaster already.

Tesla should be afraid of Apple for this reason. Elon concentrates on the guts of engineering too much.

- - - Updated - - -

"Multiple confirmed accidents" in Teslas that were caused by drivers thinking AP was active but it was not, really? Please provide sources. I was not aware of this rash of Tesla accidents due to driver confusion about AP.

He didn't say accident.

As for sources: count me as one.