Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1200 miles on 7.1 — Grade: C

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few thoughts on Nav and AP after two days of driving.

- Nav seems much better. It doesn't do ridiculous things like unnecessary SC stops or taking you back to the SC you just left. So, much improved on this. It is still overly (dangerously?) optimistic though and wanted us to drive 190 miles direct to the next SC instead of a 40 mile longer route with 3 SC's available (5f, 700 lbs payload). Tesla needs to determine weather and payload before making routing decisions. Ben and EV Trip Planner 1, Elon and Tesla 0. Tesla really should be able to do much better. This baffles me.

I would also like to see hyper accurate SC locations. Knowing that somewhere within a 600 acre mall and it's parking lot there is a SC is nice but can still take a while to find. 7.1 does seem better on this but still not fully there.

- AP much improved. There were only a couple of instances of it trying to take exits. Very much appreciated. Overall does a much better job of seeing lane lines and doesn't weave as much within the lane. BTW, we had an incident with 7.0 (2.9.77) the other day while driving on an interstate with good lines and AP indicating that it clearly saw both lines. Our car suddenly lurched left, jerked back hard right, then left, ... this within perhaps a second before I took control. Very scary and no cause that we could tell.

Enhanced Visualization, showing vehicles in adjacent lanes, is good but inaccurate. It shows the vehicles farther away than they really are and misses about 20% of vehicles. A vehicle that we are passing and overlapping a few feet is indicated as still having maybe 10-15 feet of gap before beginning to overlap. What would really be helpful is to show vehicles coming up from behind but it apparently can only see vehicles to the front not sides or back.

Moving a lane to the left is worse than 7.0 (moving a lane to the right seems to work fine). Numerous times it would not move over and for no good reason that I could see so after having the blinker on for a bit I'd have to do it manually. This was a problem about 30% of the time. Worse, on one occasion when I blinked to move over there was a car in my blind spot and AP started to change lanes in to the other car. Fortunately we avoided a collision. (non Tesla issue: I learned to drive in Europe with my mirrors much farther out than most Americans so my blind spot is really tiny and this vehicle really surprised me as it's the first time in probably a decade that this has happened).

Another 300 miles today.

Last edited:
Worse, on one occasion when I blinked to move over there was a car in my blind spot and AP started to change lanes in to the other car. Fortunately we avoided a collision. (non Tesla issue: I learned to drive in Europe with my mirrors much farther out than most Americans so my blind spot is really tiny and this vehicle really surprised me as it's the first time in probably a decade that this has happened).

Why hasn't Tesla added cameras to their mirrors. With that big screen, it would be great to get a nice big wide angle view beside you when the turn signal is engaged. Honda has it, so why doesn't Tesla?

- AP much improved. BTW, we had an incident with 7.0 (2.9.77) the other day while driving on an interstate with good lines and AP indicating that it clearly saw both lines. Our car suddenly lurched left, jerked back hard right, then left, ... this within perhaps a second before I took control. Very scary and no cause that we could tell.
Watch out for sudden rise or dip of the road that our eyes can adjust the viewing angle to visualize, but the camera cannot. It may see the lines clearly just before the rise, but will loss it momentarily, and the dip will suddenly shorten the visibility of the lines to the camera. There is a stretch of road in my daily commute that I know to be fully hands on wheel in order to avoid accident. One youtube video illustrated this, and the driver thought AP is trying to kill him.

I was hoping that v7.1 will fix it when it stated on the release notes that if the lines are temporarily lost, the car will not change direction. Apparently, it does not apply to this situation. More tweaking to be done.

I am not comfortable with auto lane change as implemented by Tesla at this time.

- - - Updated - - -

Why hasn't Tesla added cameras to their mirrors. With that big screen, it would be great to get a nice big wide angle view beside you when the turn signal is engaged. Honda has it, so why doesn't Tesla?
Because Tesla wants to save money, and hardware for AP 2 in the next few years might have it? I totally agree with you, for a $100K car why don't we have it? Without the side view cameras the car cannot auto-park perpendicularly unless there are obstruction for the sonic sensors to measure.

I would also like to see hyper accurate SC locations. Knowing that somewhere within a 600 acre mall and it's parking lot there is a SC is nice but can still take a while to find. 7.1 does seem better on this but still not fully there.

I thought it was already like this on the big screen. SC locations are not very good on the little screen (like many other nav destinations), but the location on the big screen has always been exact for me, as far as I can recall. Maybe I'm just getting lucky and hitting SCs with accurate locations, though?

- BTW, we had an incident with 7.0 (2.9.77) the other day while driving on an interstate with good lines and AP indicating that it clearly saw both lines. Our car suddenly lurched left, jerked back hard right, then left, ... this within perhaps a second before I took control. Very scary and no cause that we could tell.

I had this happen in my car as well. I may have a faulty sensor under the left front headlight as I sometimes get a "stop" warning when there's nothing there. The other thing I thought of is, possibly a big bug or something flew right past the sensor, surprising the car to an unexpected obstruction? Not sure how sensitive the bumper sensors are? If they're sensitive enough to detect a bug or maybe a rock flying at it?

I agree about navigating to Superchargers. I have visited more than 50 different superchargers, often at night. Often they are not easy to see and even if I see them, getting to them was a little confusing. What parking lot do I have to enter? Many times I drive through several lots to finally find my way in.

It is a general problem with navigation systems. They lack detail in parking lots and side roads leading to businesses or hotels. Once you have reached the address on the main road, you are on your own. The maps themselves have much more detail. Heck I have seen a Best Buy store on my Tesla navigation screen that showed each individual aisle inside the building! With hyper accurate maps for AP directing you into the right parking lot to a Supercharger should be possible.

- Nav seems much better. It doesn't do ridiculous things like unnecessary SC stops or taking you back to the SC you just left. So, much improved on this. It is still overly (dangerously?) optimistic though and wanted us to drive 190 miles direct to the next SC instead of a 40 mile longer route with 3 SC's available (5f, 700 lbs payload). Tesla needs to determine weather and payload before making routing decisions. Ben and EV Trip Planner 1, Elon and Tesla 0. Tesla really should be able to do much better. This baffles me.

Payload is broken on evtriplanner, be careful. I've actually seen it add range once.

I'm sure a couple folks around here wouldn't mind bug fixing/maintenance on the website, but the author seems unresponsive.

I've seen the AP when changing lanes, move so far over in the new lane that the lane departure warning went off! I cannot fathom how that software is structured.

I also saw exactly what the OP mentioned. On a highway, with a curve at the top of a gentle rise, the car suddenly strongly jerked to the right with another car in that lane. I caught it in time, but I feel even more strongly that everyone should keep a hand gripping the wheel when on AP. Weird things can happen very fast.

I've seen the AP when changing lanes, move so far over in the new lane that the lane departure warning went off! I cannot fathom how that software is structured.

I also saw exactly what the OP mentioned. On a highway, with a curve at the top of a gentle rise, the car suddenly strongly jerked to the right with another car in that lane. I caught it in time, but I feel even more strongly that everyone should keep a hand gripping the wheel when on AP. Weird things can happen very fast.

According to the display it seems to know pretty accurately where the lines and other cars are (and so lane departure goes off). What the car decides to do with that data seems to be the mystery...

I've had that happen on v7.0 too.

I thought "wtf? why is lane departure warning going off, I'm in AP!"

Quick reply while charging...

- When we experienced the sudden swerving we were on a flat bit of interstate. The bug flying in front of the sensor might be it. Or close.

- One of the needle in a haystack SC locations marked the location in the dead center of the mall. We finally found it after driving around the entire mall very slowly. Another had it in the middle of a Meijr store though we found it fairly fast on the opposite end of the parking lot. It'd help if they included Lat/Long for the stations instead of just an address as that should get within about 15' (4 meters).

- - - Updated - - -

Payload is broken on evtriplanner, be careful. I've actually seen it add range once.

I'm sure a couple folks around here wouldn't mind bug fixing/maintenance on the website, but the author seems unresponsive.
I hadn't noticed this. I'll have to watch for it. Keep in mind that it was developed by a high school kid who is now a 1st year at Stamford. I give him a lot of slack (though it would be nice to get a few bugs fixed). I wish Elon would tell him to skip the education that he probably doesn't really need and hire him. He seems to not only know coding and decent interface design but he also gets things done and that's worth a fortune.

- - - Updated - - -

even if I see them, getting to them was a little confusing. What parking lot do I have to enter?
So true. We had one last year that we could easily see, was about 15 feet from us, but we had to drive around for a while to figure out how to get to it. I felt like an idiot.

-

try using your maps in earth mode zoomed in all the way in order to locate where the chargers are, I've circled malls looking for them as well, the worst one to find was in
Savannah Ga. where the SC is in an airport parking garage.

Elsewhere I have said how I hate hands on the wheel, but going over a rise that the camera can't see over is the one situation where I have hands solid on the wheel, not just near it: solid with a death grip. There is one such rise around here where the car will reliably jerk to the right even though the road is dead straight. Bad behavior where the road crests a hill is unchanged from 7.0 and is about the worst, most dangerous thing AP does. I usually just disengage AP if I see a crest coming because it will disengage itself as I try to hold the wheel straight. I don't know why they haven't coded AP to default to the same straight or curved path followed before the crest, but this behavior is a genuinely dangerous bug in the system, in my opinion.

Elsewhere I have said how I hate hands on the wheel, but going over a rise that the camera can't see over is the one situation where I have hands solid on the wheel, not just near it: solid with a death grip. There is one such rise around here where the car will reliably jerk to the right even though the road is dead straight. Bad behavior where the road crests a hill is unchanged from 7.0 and is about the worst, most dangerous thing AP does. I usually just disengage AP if I see a crest coming because it will disengage itself as I try to hold the wheel straight. I don't know why they haven't coded AP to default to the same straight or curved path followed before the crest, but this behavior is a genuinely dangerous bug in the system, in my opinion.

Have you submitted a bug report? Yes, Tesla reads the forums, but the more people who complain to them directly the more attention it'll get.

Have you submitted a bug report? Yes, Tesla reads the forums, but the more people who complain to them directly the more attention it'll get.
No - while AP does some bad things at crests of hills (and there are a lot of those here in the Virginia piedmont) the crest where it reliably does something bad is one of those corner cases that are hard to deal with but need to be covered if autonomous driving ever becomes real. The road there is two lanes in the same direction, well separated by grass from the other direction of travel. Just before the crest - really almost on top of the crest - there is an almost unmarked road crossing. Just after the crest the two lanes merge into one. This merge, where the white dashed line disappears, is the first thing AP sees as it goes over the crest. I think either that or cars sitting at the crossing waiting to go across (or perhaps both) drives it crazy. Elsewhere, AP sometimes jerks one way or another at a crest, but not reliably.

Actually, in California at least, the pin drop of the SC is accurate down to the exact stalls of the parking lot at the location, even in a huge mall.

- K