Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flac metadata, where's it coming from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ckessel

Jan 15, 2011
I ripped a couple albums to Flac with WinAmp and a flac library. For most albums it's fine, but it's mangled a couple album names and ended up scattering the albums files across 4 different album names. A nuisance when I want to play that album...

I've tried editing the flac file metadata with a couple tools, but Tesla doesn't see the changes (yes, I've rebooted).

Any ideas where Tesla gets it's music tag information from? Anyway to influence it?

No idea where they get it, but wherever it is, there must be a good supply of drugs.
The only way I've been able to influence it is to add more songs. This cuts the album art from some previously loaded songs.

I have had the same problem. I updated all the genre on all my music to create large groups of similar music to play together. I found the same thing that the MS did not use the new genre. As I looked for a reason I found that FLAC files have their own kind of tags and can use two types of ID3 tagging, ID3v1 and ID3v2. These are the standard for MP3 files. FLAC files can have any of the three types of tags. Official FLAC players are supposed to use the FLAC version only. I theorized that the editor I used read the ID3 formats and wrote the updates to the FLAC version. I have not found an OS X based FLAC tag editor that could identify which tags were present and let me synchronize them. Has anyone else had any luck editing the tags for FLAC files.

I ripped a couple albums to Flac with WinAmp and a flac library. For most albums it's fine, but it's mangled a couple album names and ended up scattering the albums files across 4 different album names. A nuisance when I want to play that album...

I've tried editing the flac file metadata with a couple tools, but Tesla doesn't see the changes (yes, I've rebooted).

Any ideas where Tesla gets it's music tag information from? Anyway to influence it?

I can shed some light on some of this.

For starters, Tesla seems to use Gracenote to pull information for FLAC files. In some other thread someone else had suggested this, and I'm fairly certain I was able to confirm it.

Also, when you change information for your FLAC metadata, the only way to get your Model S to update the information that has already been cached is to change the folder name the data resides in. If the folder name isn't changed, the cached metadata will be used, so the changes you have made will be ignored.

For starters, Tesla seems to use Gracenote to pull information for FLAC files. In some other thread someone else had suggested this, and I'm fairly certain I was able to confirm it.

Also, when you change information for your FLAC metadata, the only way to get your Model S to update the information that has already been cached is to change the folder name the data resides in. If the folder name isn't changed, the cached metadata will be used, so the changes you have made will be ignored.
^ I've found this to be accurate. I was pulling my hair out trying to correct some metadata. I had no idea what was wrong, the files were correct, and I was about to lose it. I decided to reorganize my USB drive so that my FLAC was separated from the lossy formats. When I did so, the metadata was suddenly correct.

Kind of wish they'd hash the file and re-cache if it changes.

I can believe Gracenote since that's what WinAmp used and it was mangled in the exact same way.

I'll have to try renaming the folders....though I thought I did that before when I fixed the metadata, but I might have 2-staged it: file renames, test, then metadata fixes, test. In which case, it would have cached the data after that first file rename.

I thought rebooting would clear any caching, but apparently not!