Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 AutoPilot Nag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand Tesla's desire for timed nag, but this trend towards) increased nagging could quickly become annoying.
Could indeed. Driving 300 miles with alerts every five minutes is a trifle irritating. On the other hand, I understand the Tesla logic because if so many well-documented idiots. I always pay close attention anyway so touching the wheel every five minutes does not bother me. If we are as attentive as we should be that should not really bother anyone. Autopilot, as in an aircraft autopilot, is an aide, but not a substitute. If we become irritated by the calls might we perhaps paying too little attention?

Unfortunate for those of us who are actually paying complete attention to what is going on.

Like the old saying, "one bad apple ruins the whole barrel". Thank you idiots doing stupid things. You have ruined it for the rest of us. I hope you are completely unsatisfied by your irresponsible stunts.

Ugh, I predicted that they wouldn't do timed nag (except where there are even slight corners) cause the steering wheel can't detect hands on steering wheel. The only thing it can detect is torque and the only way to produce torque is to turn slightly.

Not that it matters for me since I haven't gotten any update since the first V7.0

So it's kinda like an enforced grace period to allow me to think hard as to whether I really want this upgrade.

So it's between

Doesn't work well in the right hand lane, but only bugs to hold steering wheel in situations where it can easily detect it.
Vs.
Works well in the right hand lane, but forces me to slightly turn the steering wheel every x minutes.

Agree. I'm still waiting and it's good to hear all of this before updating. But, I suppose in the end, it is what it is. We know Musk and the entire industry are headed toward this, so eventually the nagging has to stop or we won't get there, will we? We'll all revolt first.

Doesn't work well in the right hand lane, but only bugs to hold steering wheel in situations where it can easily detect it.
Vs.
Works well in the right hand lane, but forces me to slightly turn the steering wheel every x minutes.
I'm now used to drive for more than 10-20 miles without any nag. And the right exits are pretty predictable.

For me the choice is clear: 7.0 until the restrictions are lifted or there's a REALLY major UI update (CarPlay or third-party app support).

Agree. I'm still waiting and it's good to hear all of this before updating. But, I suppose in the end, it is what it is. We know Musk and the entire industry are headed toward this, so eventually the nagging has to stop or we won't get there, will we? We'll all revolt first.

I'm still going to update assuming I ever get the update.

My reasoning is I like complaining. Oh, boy do I love a good complaint. At the same time I'm a strong believer that you have to have X to complain about X.

It's also the most effective way to make X into Y.

Can't wait. Try to make it something memorable, okay?

:)

I'll try. But, I have to keep in somewhat sane because I know this is just a weird transitionary period between Level II semi-autonomous driving, and Level III.

I also have this inescapable feeling that this is somewhat related towards regulatory concerns. Where Tesla might be protecting themselves especially on their home turf given the DMV's confusion over V7.0, and the nag.

The second drawback of it miss-detecting roads/speed limit signs might be the more meaty of two to complain about. It's more engineering anyways.

7.1 will make the comparison between Model X P90DL and the original Model S more interesting.

Now the Model S P85 is quieter in more ways than having one motor.

I wonder if the lawyers will demand that Tesla Motors force the update to all Autopilot vehicles so no delay will occur in getting these life saving improvements into every Model S and X as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Ugh, I predicted that they wouldn't do timed nag (except where there are even slight corners) cause the steering wheel can't detect hands on steering wheel. The only thing it can detect is torque and the only way to produce torque is to turn slightly.

Not that it matters for me since I haven't gotten any update since the first V7.0

So it's kinda like an enforced grace period to allow me to think hard as to whether I really want this upgrade.

So it's between

Vs.
I keep my hands on the wheel and still get the "nag" (no 7.1 update yet) once I was grabbing the wheel with both hands in many different places before the "nag" went away. Guess I didn't realize you really have to torque the wheel.