Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HAWAII - Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this release deserves it's own thread. Lane recognition on H1 is greatly improved. Still a little flakey on long sweeping turns (wanders side to side more than I would prefer. Parallel and Perpendicular parking are awesome. I never tried parallel parking with v7.0.

Please include videos of the Summons function.

Here's the reverse auto summons in action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64VFO0baqgo
cleardot.gif

Here's the reverse auto summons in action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64VFO0baqgo
cleardot.gif

Have all you 7.1 autopilot people trained your Teslas to park exactly like you wish? I have, and it's very much like training a dog. Actually, it's easier than training Iceman because he's working as hard to train me as I am to train him. Anyway, after stopping the Tesla at exactly the same spot each time by pressing the stop button, My 70D got the idea and now stops at just the right spot. I wouldn't trust it yet to go no further, but so far so good. Next, I pulled it into the garage which is shared with another car. The Tesla angled a bit toward the other car in an attempt to get the same open space on each side. Solution? I put one 18 gallon rubbermaid bin on top of another and positioned them in the garage so that the front door just clears the bin when the car is parked and the door is opened. The results? By moving the bins slightly, I was able to get the Tesla to park exactly where I want it. There are slight variations in positioning, depending upon the angle at which I parked the car prior to using the summons command, but all the positions are safe and quite good.

I have even done the "blind summons", where I walk up close to the garage door, press the center of the fob while counting to six, then push on the reverse button. I can't hear much, but all of a sudden the garage door opens and a Tesla backs out, then closes the door behind it. The Tesla has opened the door every time before backing out... imagine that! The blind summons is a bad idea if you have kids who might be playing around the car or who might leave bikes or other items behind the car. Also, the Tesla will not move if the charging cable is attached. Please don't ask me how I know about the cable behavior.

Last edited:
Papafox, good to know about the car learning where to stop when using summons! I will start "training" my Tesla this week as well as trying out the blind summons! Can you post a pic of how you arranged the bins?

BTW. The more fun you have with 7.1 features...the lower your chances are that you are selling your 70D!

Papafox, good to know about the car learning where to stop when using summons! I will start "training" my Tesla this week as well as trying out the blind summons! Can you post a pic of how you arranged the bins?

BTW. The more fun you have with 7.1 features...the lower your chances are that you are selling your 70D!

Nanimac, I'm back in Hawaii again and probably don't have a photo of the bins, but I am making a graphic of what I did and will post on my "A Flight Instructor Teaches Tesla Autopilot" thread. I'll drop a link here when that post is done. I'm really impressed with how well the Tesla can be trained to park in just the right spot if I use this one obstacle. Naturally, the bins are filled with junk, because that's what you do with bins. Yes, the cool stuff of autopilot 7.1 makes the 70D a truly amazing car. I'm already getting withdrawal symptoms. The only thing likely to save me is going out and pampering the Hawaii Tesla.

Nanimac, I'm back in Hawaii again and probably don't have a photo of the bins, but I am making a graphic of what I did and will post on my "A Flight Instructor Teaches Tesla Autopilot" thread. I'll drop a link here when that post is done. I'm really impressed with how well the Tesla can be trained to park in just the right spot if I use this one obstacle. Naturally, the bins are filled with junk, because that's what you do with bins. Yes, the cool stuff of autopilot 7.1 makes the 70D a truly amazing car. I'm already getting withdrawal symptoms. The only thing likely to save me is going out and pampering the Hawaii Tesla.

Let me know if you want a ride-a-long or test drive in my car so you can see how autosteer works here in Hawaii :smile: