Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LG Bolt - Chevy Bolt made in Korea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to have zero respect for GM. Now my respect has dropped below zero. Pretty sad they outsourced the heart & future of the company.

Prediction: Korea is going to buy GM the next time they go bankrupt.

LG supplied an array of new components and systems for the Chevrolet Bolt EV, including:

• Electric Drive Motor
  • Power Inverter Module (converts DC power to AC for the drive unit)
  • On Board Charger
  • Electric Climate Control System Compressor
  • Battery Cells and Pack
  • High Power Distribution Module (manages the flow of high voltage to various components)
  • Battery Heater
  • Accessory Power Module (maintains low-voltage power delivery to accessories)
  • Power Line Communication Module (manages communication between vehicle and a DC charging station)
  • Instrument Cluster
  • Infotainment System
Korean DESIGN studio:
ff_chevybolt-making_model.jpg

Prismatic vs Cylindrical battle is on

Pretty neat how the cells are only 3.9" tall

Remember the Model 3 is going to cost $27,500 (using the same advertising as the bolt which includes the tax credit) for the same 60kwh base model and will go way farther (Cd under .2) with the same amount of storage (and larger packs will be available), will charge much faster (DC or AC), will drive itself (with no one in it, you can summon it), will be much safer, will handle better, will be way faster, dual motor available, can be rented out (Tesla's version of Uber), can sell energy (peak shaving), drivetrain designed and engineered and made in USA, battery pack designed and engineered and made in USA, cells designed and engineered and made in USA, and most importantly can use the Tesla charge network (next gen is faster with snake arms which is why Elon tweeted:

"In ~2 years, summon should work anywhere connected by land & not blocked by borders, eg you're in LA and the car is in NY"

I will never buy GM knowing what I know but I think it is great EVs are going mainstream. Pretty sad they had to outsource the heart of the vehicle to LG Chem. Not only was the whole battery (not just the cells) made by LG, the motor, inverter, charger, and much more. My respect level has gone from zero to below zero. The only way GM is going to compete when the Model 3 comes out is price. They will move production (really just assembly) of the Bolt out of the USA. Did you see now GM is importing cars made in China to the USA for the first time ever? They have no soul. A true corporate GRUNCH. Tesla is going to make cars in China to sell locally, not to undercut

https://web.archive.org/web/20100619204807/http://www.bfi.org/about-bucky/resources/books/grunch-giants

Last edited:
its a strategic partnership, it allowed them to go to market quicker. All auto manufacturers do this.

You do understand that most of the tesla parts arent built by Tesla?

You also missed out that the drive motor was designed by GM and they pushed the manufacturing to LG.

I already mentioned in the post Telsa is going to be making cars in China and I think it is great. They will not be exporting cars from China to North America (IE NOT undercutting their "home"). If Tesla wants to make more money it would move export production to Mexico which is killing the USA (not one car factory has been built in the USA since 2008), but that would be GRUNCH like and Elon would never do that

It does not make sense to ship cars across the Pacific when you can make them locally. Same goes for cells which is why Tesla is open gigafactories in Europe and Asia

"As of 2012, the Mexican governmenthad signed free trade agreementswith 44 countries, including those withthe European Union, Japan, and Israel."

https://www.chicagofed.org/~/media/publications/chicago-fed-letter/2013/cflmay2013-310-pdf.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

its a strategic partnership, it allowed them to go to market quicker. All auto manufacturers do this.

You do understand that most of the tesla parts arent built by Tesla?

You also missed out that the drive motor was designed by GM and they pushed the manufacturing to LG.

don't spin it. you really think GM is going to be able to do over the air updates to their firmware when all the critical systems were not designed by them?

The motor is a relatively simple component to design and even there GM made a fatal error by using neodymium. A Model 3 is not a car,it is a computer on wheels. GM has destined itself to bankruptcy and a foreign takeover (ala Chrysler)

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder what's keeping LG from just coming out with their own EV?

Nothing. The plan is to supply GM and supply Kia and Hyundai with LG Automotive components. End game is Kia or Hyundai buys GM. South Korea is like Japan where all the companies are incest-uous

Keiretsu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Remember the Model 3 is going to cost $27,500 (using the same advertising as the bolt which includes the tax credit) for the same 60kwh base model and will go way farther (Cd under .2) with the same amount of storage (and larger packs will be available), will charge much faster (DC or AC), will drive itself (with no one in it, you can summon it), will be much safer, will handle better, will be way faster, dual motor available, can be rented out (Tesla's version of Uber), can sell energy (peak shaving), drivetrain designed and engineered and made in USA, battery pack designed and engineered and made in USA, cells designed and engineered and made in USA, and most importantly can use the Tesla charge network (next gen is faster with snake arms which is why Elon tweeted:

"In ~2 years, summon should work anywhere connected by land & not blocked by borders, eg you're in LA and the car is in NY"

Sign me up!

Looks like GM could be repeat of the Schwin debacle, if all those components are really out sourced. In a few years, presto, an LG car.

there is no IF about it

from the horse's mouth:

Chevrolet Develops Bolt EV Using Strategic Partnership

"Following joint planning and research with GM engineers, LG Electronics Vehicle Components led a team of LG companies to develop the Bolt EV"

Despite his worldly enthusiasms, Ed bungled his dealings with his major Asian suppliers. And he bungled them big time, souring relationships to the point where his two biggest suppliers — Giant Manufacturing Corp. of Taiwan and China Bicycles Co. of Hong Kong and Shenzhen — would not be sympathetic creditors in Bankruptcy Court.

They recruited former Schwinn executives spurned or alienated by Ed. They became his competitors — and his largest creditors. When Schwinn filed for bankruptcy in late 1992, the betrayed suppliers sharpened their knives and aimed at Ed's throat.

Schwinn's Asian relationships were skewed almost from the start, when the company became perilously dependent on its new overseas ally, Giant, soon after the Chicago plant closed.

In fact, by 1986, Giant was producing more than 80% of Schwinn's bikes — or about 700,000 units. A stupendous share. And a stupid one.

"You can be important to a supplier with 200,000 units," observes Bernie Kotlier, executive vice-president of Long Beach, Calif.-based Lawee Inc., which sells the Univega line and buys bikes from Asian manufacturers. "You can be monumental at 400,000 units. At 800,000 units, you should own it."

Despite that interdependence, the relationship between Schwinn and Giant always had been uneasy.

By rushing into Giant's arms, Schwinn had given the Taiwan company early credibility in the cycling business, and eventually helped it become the biggest bike manufacturer in the world (1992 revenues were about $230 million).

"At the start, their name was a joke," says Mr. Kotlier. "They were no Giant."

The partnership benefited both sides. Schwinn upgraded its product line, made meaty margins and enjoyed efficient delivery — all of which helped the company bounce back to profitability.

But the alliance defied common sense. By blindly depending on one supplier, Schwinn gave up the opportunity to play one source off against another — to ensure the best price for the best service. In this case, the supplier controlled the customer.

-------
Giant Manufacturing Co. Ltd. (Chinese: 巨大機械工業股份有限公司, commonly known as 捷安特) is a Taiwanesebicycle manufacturer that is recognized as the world's largest bicycle manufacturer.[SUP][2][/SUP] Giant has manufacturing facilities in Taiwan, the Netherlands, and China.

By 2014, Giant had sales in over 50 countries, in over 12,000 [SUP][4][/SUP] retail stores. In 2007, its global sales surpassed 5 million bicycles and US$820 million in global revenue, and by 2012 it had reached 6.3 million bicycles and revenue of US$1.8 billion.[SUP][1][/SUP]

Last edited:
Who cares if the Bolt is mostly Korean? I believe that GM bought Daewoo's automotive division in the early 2000s (now known as GM Korea).

The more EVs on the road, the better, and people already have no problem buying Samsung phones or using iPhones with Samsung components.

Who cares if the Bolt is mostly Korean? I believe that GM bought Daewoo's automotive division in the early 2000s (now known as GM Korea).

The more EVs on the road, the better, and people already have no problem buying Samsung phones or using iPhones with Samsung components.

yes which is why you should heavily short Apple stock right now. Apple will be overtaken by Chinese and Korean phone mfgs in 3 years (global sales). phones will become a commodity just as the PC. the Apple ecosystem will fail as developers rebel (why should they get a cut)

the Apple car is doomed to failure. Did you see the 60 minutes interview where Apple claimed they a fully capable of engineering a car as it had many of the same parts as a phone? What a joke

yes which is why you should heavily short Apple stock right now. Apple will be overtaken by Chinese and Korean phone mfgs in 3 years (global sales). phones will become a commodity just as the PC. the Apple ecosystem will fail as developers rebel (why should they get a cut)

the Apple car is doomed to failure. Did you see the 60 minutes interview where Apple claimed they a fully capable of engineering a car as it had many of the same parts as a phone? What a joke

Apple is already overtaken in mobile phones by the Koreans plus Chinese (including Taiwanese) combined. You'll get no argument from me that Apple will feel the heat in the near future.

Apple is already overtaken in mobile phones by the Koreans plus Chinese (including Taiwanese) combined. You'll get no argument from me that Apple will feel the heat in the near future.

I am including app store revenue. the current 30/70 split is not sustainable. Apple gets 30 percent of what's paid for an app or service, while the company or developer offering the app gets a 70 percent cut. in the future it is going to be more like 2/98 split (in 20 years). the app store is the cash cow and Apple is going to kill it with greed. when iPhone sales drop further they will depend on app store revenue which will make it easy for a competitor to undercut them by saying to developers hey move to our ecosystem and keep your money. then it will become like game consoles with this app only available on ___

phones will be free with a 10/90 split in the near future. processing will be moving to the cloud with the advent of ultra fast low latency wireless. the "phone" will simply be a output/inputdevice

Last edited:
I am including app store revenue. the current 30/70 split is not sustainable. Apple gets 30 percent of what's paid for an app or service, while the company or developer offering the app gets a 70 percent cut. in the future it is going to be more like 2/98 split (in 20 years). the app store is the cash cow and Apple is going to kill it with greed. when iPhone sales drop further they will depend on app store revenue which will make it easy for a competitor to undercut them by saying to developers hey move to our ecosystem and keep your money. then it will become like game consoles with this app only available on ___

phones will be free with a 10/90 split in the near future. processing will be moving to the cloud with the advent of ultra fast low latency wireless. the "phone" will simply be a output/inputdevice

How do I buy a short for Apple 20 years into the future :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Did you see the 60 minutes interview where Apple claimed they a fully capable of engineering a car as it had many of the same parts as a phone? What a joke

I am not saying that Apple will produce an EV or that it will be any good but, why shouldn't they be able to. They have been pretty good at taking existing technologies and packaging them in a way that is attractive to the consumer. The have also been pretty good at outsourcing the manufacturing as well. They have substantial cash available for large projects. They have apparently attracted a sizeable team of of experienced individuals. They have a clear and well received policy on climate issues.
They like entering markets as first or second follower.They have good relations with the governments they need to be close to. They are the biggest brand in the world.

They might not have an Elon Musk at the wheel but they have seem to have the potential to have a reasonable go at this if they want to.

I don't but then I don't care of some of the engineering/parts that went into my Model X (here in a couple weeks): Emissionsfreier Stadt-SUV: Viel deutsche Technologie im neuen Tesla X - heute-Nachrichten

I don't but then I don't care of some of the engineering/parts that went into my Model X (here in a couple weeks): Emissionsfreier Stadt-SUV: Viel deutsche Technologie im neuen Tesla X - heute-Nachrichten

Thanks for the link. My problem is not with outsourcing per se, my problem is USA taxpayer bailed out GM and then the most important car ever to be made/funded by them was just handed off to their Korean division who then partnered with LG. Instead of learning how to make the cars of the future (EVs) they just outsourced all the important bits that they should have been mastering. Now GM is relying on a sole supplier. LG has GM by the balls and they don't even know it but they will in a few years when EV sales begin to outpace ICE sales (passenger cars). From their need to beat Tesla to market they sold out their future. Ego

Thanks for the link. My problem is not with outsourcing per se, my problem is USA taxpayer bailed out GM and then the most important car ever to be made/funded by them was just handed off to their Korean division who then partnered with LG. Instead of learning how to make the cars of the future (EVs) they just outsourced all the important bits that they should have been mastering. Now GM is relying on a sole supplier. LG has GM by the balls and they don't even know it but they will in a few years when EV sales begin to outpace ICE sales (passenger cars). From their need to beat Tesla to market they sold out their future. Ego
You're welcome. Thanks for your back pedaling (USA only screaming in other post). Glad Tesla paid back their loan. OK, back on the ignore list: Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

How exactly are GM's EV sales going to outpace their other vehicle sales? While the Bolt is a step in the right direction, I don't think many people that don't already drive EV's are going to pay $37.5k for it. The full tax credit most likely doesn't apply to people that buy compact cars like that.

I used to have zero respect for GM. Now my respect has dropped below zero. Pretty sad they outsourced the heart & future of the company.

Prediction: Korea is going to buy GM the next time they go bankrupt.

LG supplied an array of new components and systems for the Chevrolet Bolt EV, including:

• Electric Drive Motor
  • Power Inverter Module (converts DC power to AC for the drive unit)
  • On Board Charger
  • Electric Climate Control System Compressor
  • Battery Cells and Pack
  • High Power Distribution Module (manages the flow of high voltage to various components)
  • Battery Heater
  • Accessory Power Module (maintains low-voltage power delivery to accessories)
  • Power Line Communication Module (manages communication between vehicle and a DC charging station)
  • Instrument Cluster
  • Infotainment System
Korean DESIGN studio:
View attachment 107511

Prismatic vs Cylindrical battle is on

Pretty neat how the cells are only 3.9" tall

I will never buy GM knowing what I know but I think it is great EVs are going mainstream. Pretty sad they had to outsource the heart of the vehicle to LG Chem. Not only was the whole battery (not just the cells) made by LG, the motor, inverter, charger, and much more. My respect level has gone from zero to below zero. The only way GM is going to compete when the Model 3 comes out is price. They will move production (really just assembly) of the Bolt out of the USA. Did you see now GM is importing cars made in China to the USA for the first time ever? They have no soul. A true corporate GRUNCH. Tesla is going to make cars in China to sell locally, not to undercut

https://web.archive.org/web/20100619204807/http://www.bfi.org/about-bucky/resources/books/grunch-giants

Dude, relax.