Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Chunking" When Wheels Turned In Reverse - Most of the Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to see if other owners have this issue or is it a given? When in reverse and the wheel turned sharply, the car will often "chunk" through the reversing turn. It's akin to what seems like a flat spot in the tires or running over something every few feet as the car height also slightly changes with each "chunk". It also has an accompanying "chunk" sound with it. On occasion it won't do it, but it seems to be dependent on the type (grip) and smoothness (evenness) of the surface. On fewer occasions, it will also do it going forward with the wheels sharply turned.

I took delivery Jan 2nd w/5.7K miles (2013 P85+) - CPO - and it's done it since day one. I would just make an appointment and get it checked, but the nearest SC is 200 miles away, so I thought I'd get some forum thoughts first.

----

Another, less minor issue, is that brakes "howl" when applying during the final 2MPH of a stop. In other words, only when the brakes are used lightly and at very low speed. I can apply the brakes at 5MPH and it's not until about 2MPH down to 0MPH do they make the howling sound. Is that a warranty issue or can I just take it to a brake shop to get fixed?

TY,
Dan

Do you have 21" or 22" wheels or extended valve caps? A lot of guys with larger wheels have similar problems, but usually only when reversing while sharply turned. I noticed that when it happens to me it seems like the valve cap is hitting the inside of the wheel well. I am on 22" wheels and can hear rubbing sometimes too when I'm in reverse and turned.

My dads dec 14 P85D makes a clunk when it backs up with the steering wheel turned to the right. It is a loud sound you can feel. We took it to the local SC - they could not find anything wrong. My dad has bought 3 P85Ds and between this sound and the leaking sunroof...if they don't fix it soon he will not buy a model X.

My dads dec 14 P85D makes a clunk when it backs up with the steering wheel turned to the right. It is a loud sound you can feel. We took it to the local SC - they could not find anything wrong. My dad has bought 3 P85Ds and between this sound and the leaking sunroof...if they don't fix it soon he will not buy a model X.

That clunk sounds similar provided it will continue clunking in a pattern-like fashion throughout the maneuver - not just one clunk.

Interesting, this happened to me the other day too. I have the 21" turbines. I thought I either had a flat, or the rim was coming off. It didn't look like either when I got out of the car. This only happened once.

"Chunking" When Wheels Turned In Reverse - Most of the Time

The stuttering feeling in wide tyres during narrow backward turns is perfectly normal for any car.
The inner tyre is forced to follow an impossible trajectory and will loose grip for half an inch or so.

Reactions: ColdCoast
Mine did this and service adjusted the steering rack bolts I think and it is all good now. Maybe mine was a diff issue, but it doesn't do what you describe on 19s or 21s on my P85+

Yes I had this too.. it was most pronounced when backing down my driveway which is on a slight hill. The service center: "replaced steering rack bolts, inspect/add shim, retorque suspension components"...

It still does it a little when backing down my driveway, but noticeably less at full lock...

-m