Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order to receive time? 70D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put my deposit down today and am hoping for a 70D in September. I travel south for the winter so I need a May-Sept. delivery. Don't know what I'll do if I confirm order and it ends up delivering Oct-Dec. I am hoping the Sales team can help me with the timing. Hopefully by late summer delivery schedules will be accurate.

I put my deposit down today and am hoping for a 70D in September. I travel south for the winter so I need a May-Sept. delivery. Don't know what I'll do if I confirm order and it ends up delivering Oct-Dec. I am hoping the Sales team can help me with the timing. Hopefully by late summer delivery schedules will be accurate.
Tesla is normally, um... "optimistic" with dates. Most interpret "late 2016" in Tesla time to mean December 42nd. And that's when they say Model X 70D orders will *begin* which means deliveries for those who have already confirmed their orders and may have reserved an X three and a half years ago.

If you reserve and are able to confirm a 70D order this week, I'd be surprised if you get it before Q4. In fact, I'd be surprised if you get it in 2016. It's possible, but not consistent with Tesla's past performance. And if you wait until later in the year to confirm your order then anyone who confirms their order for a 70D before you will be earlier in the production queue. If you click the order button today, your order confirms automatically in 7 days and any cancellation after that date results in forfeiture of the $5K deposit.

It's fine to be optimistic but then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

-CB

Devon, Pa had 4 onsite. The X isn't as sexy as I hoped for... I'm going to test drive and spend some serious time with one before placing the order...

all were locked, but I could still see them! Lol

might just start trolling for a 85 or 90D.

why the longer wait for coil suspension? Damn, i didnt know coil is a longer wait too... hope not.

Past history, really. Coil springs need to be designed, engineered, and tested and Tesla is limited on engineering resources. If they have the air system ready to go from the 90D, when it comes time to ship the 70Ds, they'll start with the air suspension since they already have that done. Air suspension is also more expensive, so they'll prioritize there as well to enhance per-vehicle profit. I don't think it will be a huge wait, but it will be one.

On the P85D, Coil Suspensions waited 3 months after air P85Ds:

P85D coil suspensions began production approximately 3 months into general P85D production, after 2014 ended.
Model S options by year - a running history - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

No P85D with Coil Suspension this year ...

ModelXTracker has the 90/70 ratio at almost 10:1, so there's going to be a big delay while they work through the backlog of 90s before they do the 70s. It'll be even longer for 70s on coil suspension.

I was told by Tesla rep that they expect a lot more 70D orders than 90D. Also, ModelXTracker might not be a great source since the more active web users are not necessarily your average buyers.

I suspect the forum is skewed towards performance and then 90D's followed by 70D's. It just seems that those that are really into Tesla and hang around here are more likely to buy up than the average person. Of course I suspect we will never actually know unless Tesla decides to share the mix with us.

I was told by Tesla rep that they expect a lot more 70D orders than 90D. Also, ModelXTracker might not be a great source since the more active web users are not necessarily your average buyers.

If this were true, that would surprise me, since that wasn't the case with the S. Also, I feel that the X is a better road-trip vehicle than the S, so I would expect people to want the greatest possible range.

If this were true, that would surprise me, since that wasn't the case with the S. Also, I feel that the X is a better road-trip vehicle than the S, so I would expect people to want the greatest possible range.

I suppose it depends on your set of assumptions. People may be weighted towards getting the 70 IF:

1. They like the doors
2. move more than 5 people around during normal course of business (think soccer mom)
3. prefer to spend less money ($15k)
4. Maybe use the $15k to keep an alternative vehicle around for long trips especially when towing and range becomes an issue

Perhaps we will get a sense during the next earnings call if the analysts ask the right questions (seldom do).

But I think it is entirely plausible that you will have greater volume at the low end (70)

I'm torn again... 70D new or 90D used? I figure they'd be about the same price... something in my brain just won't let me spend (over) 90k on a car...

I figure by 2017 we should see some used or inventory Xs... if a 90D falls to within where I want to pay, it may be a better buy... assuming no aversion to a used car.

In any case, my S is under warranty for 100,000 and until 2019, so I have some time here :)

I'm torn again... 70D new or 90D used? I figure they'd be about the same price... something in my brain just won't let me spend (over) 90k on a car...

I figure by 2017 we should see some used or inventory Xs... if a 90D falls to within where I want to pay, it may be a better buy... assuming no aversion to a used car.

In any case, my S is under warranty for 100,000 and until 2019, so I have some time here :)
You really need to determine your day to day usage, for me with no commute and trips where there are superchargers do not need more than 200 mile range. Been doing fine with my 60 Model S for almost 3 years. Like you could not justify another $13,000.