Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request: Detailed LED Headlight Pictures/Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want neon lights!
Neon3.jpg

So I can see the ground when I step out of the car.:wink:

I think the Xenon headlights on Model S do a fine job, but the cornering lights leave something to be desired. I was hoping that the LED headlights on Model X would have improved the overall lighting situation, especially with the turning lights. Hopefully that is indeed the case.

European spec Model S have less powerful Xenon lights compared to US spec.
IIRC 25W in lieu of 35W per bulb.
Not sure if is it a simple DIY job to swap them for the more powerful ones, or even LED replacement D2S bulbs.
Touring: "Are you serious? The lights are the weakest part of the Model S."

I am more happy with my MS headlights than I thought I would be. Please elaborate on their weakness. I'm curious and want to hear your thoughts.

Do the Model S/X lights turn with the car? I know that some Lexus cars have lights that turn independently of the car.
Not exactly. The way I understand that they work is that there is a separate LED pointed "around" the corner that lights up when sensors in the steering wheel sense you are turning.

Oh yeah, and it's only a Premium Upgrade Package thing...

- Three-position dynamic LED turning lights for nighttime visibility.

Not exactly. The way I understand that they work is that there is a separate LED pointed "around" the corner that lights up when sensors in the steering wheel sense you are turning.

Oh yeah, and it's only a Premium Upgrade Package thing...

- Three-position dynamic LED turning lights for nighttime visibility.
On the Lexus they seem to smoothly turn with the wheel and don't suddenly turn on.

The 2014+ Mazda's also have headlights which turn with the steering wheel. IMO fixed LEDs which turn on will be more reliable than a turning mechanism which has several moving parts.
In theory yes it would be, but my Lexus they have always worked perfectly, but maybe Tesla wants to keep the number of moving parts down which is fine by me.

Are you serious? The lights are the weakest part of the Model S.

Any lights are better than the lights on a Honda ... I've seen the pattern for the Model S and it looks good to me.

This video isn't a close-up exactly, but clearly shows the three-position turning lights (brilliant, no moving parts!) and all the other individually-controlled exterior lights.
Merry Model X-mas - YouTube

Last edited:
The low beam projectors for the Acura TSX and Honda S2000 are some of the best in the industry for single xenon use. The Acura TL bi-xenon projectors are just as good.

Okay, let me clarify ... the car I mean is an Accord which predates projector headlamps, so it's just halogen. Sometimes you can't tell the headlights are on and try to turn them on again! :biggrin:

Fair warning: the following is a pet peeve of mine. :wink:
I'm all for LED headlights as long as they're aimed properly, just like any headlight should be. I have yet to see well-aimed LED headlights (and many projector beams are aimed far too high as well), so I hope the Model X is different. Escalades, Acuras, etc with LEDs have so-so to very poor aim depending on the vehicle. The best-aimed projector beams (non-LED) I have seen are on Mercedes vehicles. I can't comment on the Model S because I haven't seen one parked on a level surface in the dark while facing an object/wall.

Regarding LED headlights, I saw this in Popular Mechanics (May 2015):

... I'm driving a 2015 Kia K900 with LED headlights, and everyone thinks they're too bright. What's going on? The issue, I think, is that each LED lighting element is too distinct. The K900 has four low-beam LEDs on each side, so oncoming drivers perceive four individual lights rather than one big bulb. ...

The problem is not the number of discrete elements, nor is it the brightness. The problem is the aim! If you can can see into the rear windshield of the car in front of you, there is something wrong.

Additional request: in addition to a detailed close-up photo of the X's headlights, could we have a photo of the beam pattern (low and high) on a garage wall or something? I'm curious to see how these lights stack up against the competition. Where's Bonnie when we need her? :confused: :smile: