Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In 2 Years "Summon" Will Drive Model S WHEREVER YOU ARE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 12.26.06 PM.png

Elon Musk's Direct Tweet

Hmmm, this makes me think about delaying my Model 3 order because I want this feature (Full Autopilot) on my Model 3.

The world is going to be so different in 2020. I just hope I don't die an accidental death before stuff like this happens.

And a few years after that, if you're going to be able to summon your vehicle from another planet!

That's assuming you didn't leave it plugged in of course.

Speaking of which, and sticking to the continental version of summoning, presumably that means the auto connecting/disconnecting Supercharger rollout will be well underway in 2 years.

Even though I believe there is a lot of work to get bad/questionable weather conditions handled, as well as more complex driving situations like 4-way stops, roundabouts, crazy pedestrians, map databases that don't match reality, how agressive a driverless car should be or not in various scenarios to keep itself and surrounding traffic flowing, etc., I suspect the technology will be ready-to-go before the legislation and liability discussions are completed.

For global companies like Tesla working this, its got to be hard enough to build the tech to then handle multiple countries, languages, laws, signage, etc., let alone just here in the US, perhaps 50 States each with some sort of variation how autonomous vehicles are allowed to operate or not -- so a single car can drive itself from the West to East coast. We'll see. It's certainly interesting times we are a part of.

Sounds like they'll need to get that Trip Planner fixed, else the summoned cars will be circling the Super Chargers, charging for 5 minutes, leaving, the coming right back!