Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power side mirror retrofit, does the heating of the mirrors works for you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
We own one of the first 70D. As we live in a cold and snowy area we asked we were pleased to learn that the new S came standard with power heated side mirrors. It is a security feature many month of the year here. Ours did not arrive with the power side mirror so it was retrofitted.

If some of you had the power side retrofit, could you tell me if the heating of the mirrors is working for you?
The retrofit has been done on our car mainly for the defrost / heating part and it is not working now.

Another issue is the electrochromic option. I was thinking it was part of the power mirror but it does not seems to work either.
Thank for your sharing your mirror retrofit experience!

My car was built during the transition to the new set of options where the Tech Package does not exists. It has all the standard equipment of the new cars post may 2015. It was only missing the upgraded mirrors.
To my understanding the heater and electrochromic hardware is there on the mirrors. It probably needs a software activation. I wonder if a hardware relay is needed in the car for the heater part.

2 updates:

#1#
The service center has enabled side mirrors heating via software configuration.

#2#
Auto dimming is still missing because of rear view mirror is sensorless and I was told that upgrading it it not possible.

2 updates:

#1#
The service center has enabled side mirrors heating via software configuration.

#2#
Auto dimming is still missing because of rear view mirror is sensorless and I was told that upgrading it it not possible.

So I just had mine done as well. Heating seems to work fine, but don't have Auto-dimming. Have heard others tint their side mirrors to reduce glare from headlights and I might do the same when I get my windows tinted.....yes, I know, it's sad that we should have to resort to that on the MS.

So I just had mine done as well. Heating seems to work fine, but don't have Auto-dimming. Have heard others tint their side mirrors to reduce glare from headlights and I might do the same when I get my windows tinted.....yes, I know, it's sad that we should have to resort to that on the MS.

If you have the Tech package auto dimming should work, its tied to the rear view mirror autotint. So if your rear view mirror auto-tints and your side mirrors don't there is an issue.

Our car was built when the tech package option disappeared.
We are missing the rearview auto dimming.

Sadly we discovered that after delivery. Auto-dimming and power mirror should have been included. Still trying to arrange that with our service center.

My Parents had the Heated and Power folding mirrors retrofitted on their MS Sig and it works great for them!!!!!!

Just curious, how much was the bill for that? I was quoted $7800 on my Sig S to do it, but that was a while ago.

CORRECTION: I went back and looked, and the $7800 was for parking sensor retrofit, not mirrors. Quote included paint to match car for the new bumper covers.

Last edited: