Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Hey everyone.

After years of thinking and preparing, I'm just about ready to buy a CPO Model S. I've already planned for the $1000 deposit, up to $1500 shipping, sales tax, licensing and registration. What I would like to know is this -- what other fees are there that come out of pocket, before the deal is finally done? I need to make sure I have enough money set aside for it.

Based on past experience buying cars from dealers, there are almost always other fees you only find out about when trying to do the paperwork. Destination fee, this-or-that fee, dealership-bathroom-toilet-paper-restocking-fee, mysterious-transaction-fee, etc. But this is Tesla, so past experience is worthless. What other out of pocket fees do I need to prepare for?

Thanks,

Future Model S Owner

PS: I do have one additional inquiry for anyone who has picked up their CPO car themselves, rather than paying for delivery. How did this affect things? Does the delivery fee go away completely? Did you just have to fully buy the car sight unseen before you could bring it back to your local area?

I wasn't charged any other fees on my CPO. 750$ to ship it to my driveway and I'm responsible for taxes when I transfer the title to my state. That's it. My CPO showed up in better than new condition too. Previous owner had paint protection,winter trunk/Frunk mats,trunk shelf, Frunk net.

I have had zero mechanical issues with mine so far. Everything went very smoothly and quickly and the car exceeded my already very high expectations.

Hope that helps.

No garbage fees. Just the legally required fees such as taxes, registration, etc. However, I would highly advise not buying the car sight unseen. Some delivery centers are better than others at prepping the cars. I flew up to Fremont to pickup my car and did a full inspection. When I was done, I had a list of about a dozen items that I required them to repair/replace. Tesla agreed to everything and my local center is in the process of correcting everything. You run the risk of having to take it "as-is" with no recourse to correct any defects. I was prepared to walk away from the car if not delivered as I would expect of a CPO car.

Are you guys finding CPO cars to be a good value? From my searching it seems they are close to new prices and you don't get the $7500 tax rebate.

It all depends on what you want. There are 2013 S85s on the CPO list for ~$50k - much cheaper than a new car, and still with a 4/50 bumper to bumper warranty. They also sell inventory cars that way, which are priced only a little under a new car, but you get the rebates with those.

If you're wanting an AWD car with AP, the savings from new are mostly pretty small, but there are some real deals out there on older cars. (Unfortunately, I really want AP. However, I have seen a few S85s with AP in the 65-70k range, and I hope to see a bunch more of them as the X gets rolled out. I'm thinking I'm going to try to get one of those in the spring, maybe.)
Walter

It all depends on what you want. I had very specific requirements, i.e., color, options, etc. I got everything I wanted with a 4 year/50K mile warranty for $64K. I didn't care about AWD or AP. Still significantly less than a new one, even with the tax credits.

I was sent a good faith estimate which had the base cost of the car, about $200 in title and registration fees, sales tax and $750 for delivery. The part that I do not know is what comes with the car that is my on the monroney (sticker) such as parcel shelf, frunk net, wheel locks, floor mats etc. also whatever swag that they give yo such has fob holders, mug etc.

btw. I order a 2013 p85 which was about 45% down from the original sticker. 40% off is you factor in the $7500 tax credit. Not too bad for a 30 month old car with 25,000 miles. No AP or parking sensors though.

No hidden fees on MS itself. $1000 deposit will credit toward your MS. Shipping is depends on where you're located, if the MS is at your local delivery center, there is no fee, maximum is $1500 across country.
The rest are taxes and DMV fees, taxes do not go to Tesla, it's all depends on which city and state you live in.