Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 Perpendicular Parking Video and Comments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

I saw some people wanted to see 7.1's Perpendicular Parking in action, so I made a video:

Tesla Model S P85D 7.1 Perpendicular Parking Demo - YouTube

It works pretty well and it's very similar to the parallel parking function. It works most of the time, but it does take longer than I expected. In a crowded parking lot, I can see people being frustrated waiting for you. So far, I've tested it about a dozen times and every time it starts reversing, pulls forward to adjust the angle, then finishes reversing. You can see that in action in the video.

Tried out the new perpendicular autopark, but it takes too darn long. Usually has to do it in 2 steps, and sometimes it gets "stuck" (when it goes into drive, but won't go back into reverse). Until it gets faster, I think I'll just do it myself.

It is a cool crowd pleaser though.

Probably doesn't make much difference, but in order to know when to stop, is it sensing the end line or the ends of the vehicles on the sides? Since it is restricted to only spaces that already have vehicles on both, seems like it might only by referencing them. Just wondering...

Reactions: David29
Probably doesn't make much difference, but in order to know when to stop, is it sensing the end line or the ends of the vehicles on the sides? Since it is restricted to only spaces that already have vehicles on both, seems like it might only by referencing them. Just wondering...

It appears that there must be a vehicle or some other form of obstacle behind the space for this to work, otherwise it'll back in too far. It does not use the lines on the ground.

I disagree. Try turning a "dead wheel" on a vehicle with manual steering (not power assist) or even a riding lawn mower, gator, or ATV. You'll feel the difference. MUCH easier (less force required at steering wheel) when the vehicle is moving as opposed to stationary.

Because you're amortizing the drag force over a larger distance. It's exactly the same amount of wear on the tire.

My parking space in my condo is perpendicular and I have successfully parked in it about 6 times. From a subjective standpoint it seems if the car is getting better at identifying the space and parking with less adjustments.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior? Could the car be learning? Thank you!

I'll probably use it every day once I'm comfortable. It seems to get pretty close but always properly reacts and completes the maneuver.

Impressive! Maybe a bit slow but I still like it. Now if 7.1 would just download to met car I could try it out.

What camera did you use and where and how did you mount it to get both inside and outside view?

This was a GoPro4 taped (with blue painters tape) to the sun visor. It wasn't pretty but it got the angle I needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Since the video shows it stopping at the right spot without a car or obstacle behind it, I don't think your assumption is correct.

As others noted, in my video there was no car to stop the backing in. It knows where the front of the other cars is from the ultrasonic sensors, so I'm assuming it lines you up with them.

Anyone tried this on diagonal parking spots?
These are not 90 angle but have a diagonal... maybe 60 degrees.
My guess is that the diagonal parking could possibly negotiate these spots since it would be able to sense the cars on both sides and navigate between them... OTOH, it might get confused.