Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brief demonstration of Summon (garage auto park) feature, does not use backup camera!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

electrish

I Sing the Body Electric
Nov 8, 2014
Ohio
Here is a brief demonstration of the new Summon (beta) feature, aka garage auto-park:

[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B51g8kM1VR6wczFWU1Y4OEpWa28/preview[/video]

Even though the feature is a very good start, the configuration of our garage requires me to come in at an angle and then straighten the car.
Summon (beta) doesn't do that (yet).
I initially tried to have the car come in straight alignment with the parking spot, but it made a wide turn around the wall to the left and ended up too close to the other car.
However, coming in at an angle worked, since Summon just navigates in a relatively straight line and does not try to align the vehicle with the other car or with the garage.

By the way, walking away from the car during summon will not stop the vehicle, even if the key fob is out of range.

Last edited:
I initially thought that Summon would use the backup camera to avoid hitting obstacles.
However, disabling the backup camera with a piece of tape did not affect the car backing out of the garage:

[video]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B51g8kM1VR6wcmpxLVlYamZXbXc[/video]

I initially thought that Summon would use the backup camera to avoid hitting obstacles.
However, disabling the backup camera with a piece of tape did not affect the car backing out of the garage:

[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B51g8kM1VR6wczFWU1Y4OEpWa28/preview[/video]
Its sensors are what it uses. It can't see, right? I think the backup camera is for pitiful humans.

But, even so, I would be so scared to try that. It scared me just watching it back up into the garage door before opening it. My garage door is very heavy and thus, super slow, so I hope the car waits long enough. Still waiting for firmware update here.

It scared me just watching it back up into the garage door before opening it.

This is another thing I have not figured out yet: the automation of the garage door with Homelink.
It works well when approaching the garage from the outside, but not from the inside.

Summon can open the garage door automatically when the car backs up, but backing up manually does not (I tried it and stopped just short of the door).
I usually get into the car and then open the garage door from the car, but that now disables the automatic closure of the door when driving away (it says cancel the automatic closure when 20 ft way, or something to that effect).

Has anyone gotten it to work that the vehicle automatically opens the garage door when backing up?

I think the auto home link is just auto close when you exit and auto open when you return. Summon seems to open the garage to exit but if you are driving out manually I believe you have to open the garage yourself.

I agree that in the current iteration that seems to be the case.

However, technically, I don't see a difference between the car opening the garage door from the inside when it approaches the door via Summon vs. me putting the car in reverse and approaching the door. Hopefully, they'll add that feature in the future when they iron out the Homelink auto close issues.

Summon into garage at an angle! YES!

electrish, thank you for posting the video. I have exactly the same garage configuration you have.
Before watching your demo, I was reluctant to try the summon feature.
Weather permitting, tomorrow will be MY summon at angle test... demo (perhaps) to follow.
Jerry

Here is a brief demonstration of the new Summon (beta) feature, aka garage auto-park:

Even though the feature is a very good start, the configuration of our garage requires me to come in at an angle and then straighten the car.
Summon (beta) doesn't do that (yet).
I initially tried to have the car come in straight alignment with the parking spot, but it made a wide turn around the wall to the left and ended up too close to the other car.
However, coming in at an angle worked, since Summon just navigates in a relatively straight line and does not try to align the vehicle with the other car or with the garage.

By the way, walking away from the car during summon will not stop the vehicle, even if the key fob is out of range.

I have discovered that the sensors are good enough that Summon can park my Tesla with 16" gap up against something as porous as a chain link fence.

Last edited:

I doubt the backup camera will ever be used for anything other than displaying video to the driver. It is not protected from the elements like the front one is. Notice that the front-facing camera is on a section of windshield that is cleaned by the wipers. This is not a coincidence.

With all the road salt we've had lately, my backup camera was useless.

If you start "Summon" with the garage door closed, will it open the door as is shown on the Tesla blog site?

On the Tesla blog, the light weight door opens very fast. My heavy wooden door with 30-year-old opener moves slowly, so I wonder how the car would know how long to wait after the door clears the back bumper?

Then again, I don't really know why I would want to summon Max out of a closed garage in the first place.

If you start "Summon" with the garage door closed, will it open the door as is shown on the Tesla blog site?

Yes, that works.
But the car gets very close to the garage door, so I can see your concern.
What I don't understand is why the same can't be programmed for the driver backing up towards the garage door and it opening automatically.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt the backup camera will ever be used for anything other than displaying video to the driver. It is not protected from the elements like the front one is. Notice that the front-facing camera is on a section of windshield that is cleaned by the wipers. This is not a coincidence.

With all the road salt we've had lately, my backup camera was useless.

I agree. It gets messed up very quickly in rain or snow.
I just initially made the mistake in approaching the car at the camera and it stopped.
Just to confirm that the camera wasn't used, I taped it and repeated the procedure.
Of course, you were right!

Yes, that works.
But the car gets very close to the garage door, so I can see your concern.
What I don't understand is why the same can't be programmed for the driver backing up towards the garage door and it opening automatically.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. It gets messed up very quickly in rain or snow.
I just initially made the mistake in approaching the car at the camera and it stopped.
Just to confirm that the camera wasn't used, I taped it and repeated the procedure.
Of course, you were right!

I got brave and tried summon out of a closed garage. First it "started" the car, put it in reverse, opened the garage door and, after about 20 seconds, backed out just as nicely as you please, stopping when Max's rear wheels hit the street - a distance of about 40 feet at my house.

I got brave and tried summon out of a closed garage. First it "started" the car, put it in reverse, opened the garage door and, after about 20 seconds, backed out just as nicely as you please, stopping when Max's rear wheels hit the street - a distance of about 40 feet at my house.
As a UK owner, we haven't been trusted with Summon yet. Question: I have 3 HOMELINK devices set up. Only one is the door. How does it know which one to auto open and close to get out of the garage? Does it just operate the one with the nearest location - and how good is that accuracy in a brick garage where GPS can't work?

electrish, thank you for posting the video. I have exactly the same garage configuration you have.
Before watching your demo, I was reluctant to try the summon feature.
Weather permitting, tomorrow will be MY summon at angle test... demo (perhaps) to follow.
Jerry

Have fun.
Unfortunately, probably very similar to your configuration, the current iteration of Summon is not very useful in our setting.
The limitation of needing a straight path, it currently requires an angled approach into the garage.
When I enter the garage manually, the car ends up left of center and therefore Summon cannot back out of the garage, since it doesn't navigate around the wall precluding the straight path backing out.
However, I think that is something that's fixable in a future iteration, because Summon already tries to gently navigate around objects that are partially obstructing the backwards path.

In it's current form, it looks very impressive in Tesla's shiny white and spacious garage.