Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt is Ugly, Model 3 Still Poised to outsell if Attractively Designed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who are worried about Chevy beating Tesla to the table, don't be concerned. As long as Tesla sticks to it's usual design methodology and Franz delivers a beautiful car, they will sell QUITE well. Also remember the incredible charging infrastructure they have been building out for years now, that NO other car company has even BEGUN to try to match in terms of custom design or scale. The BMW i3 and probably the Bolt are/ will be great cars, but they fall short in design and that will affect their sales.

I think the Model 3 and the Bolt will both sell well. I don't think the Bolt is ugly. The Bolt actually seems to be getting a warm reception from most critics, and from comments I have read. There are people who hate it, people who like it, just like every other car design.

I think the Model 3 and the Bolt will both sell well. I don't think the Bolt is ugly. The Bolt actually seems to be getting a warm reception from most critics, and from comments I have read. There are people who hate it, people who like it, just like every other car design.
+1!

To the OP, there is plenty of room for both as both will be expanding the market for EVs.
However, one thing for sure, the Bolt will be outselling the Model 3 as soon as the Bolt becomes available. This will only change when Tesla starts selling the Model 3, which at best, will be late 2017.

+2. As Elon has said it is important for traditional car builders to have BEV's. The Bolt, we should hope, will be highly successful. Success for the Bolt will develop the category. The Model 3 will not be a competitor for the Bolt or vv, any more than the Chevrolet Malibu is a competitor for the BMW 3 series. Even at the same price these will not be competitors because people who buy one if them would rarely consider the other as an alternative.

+1!

To the OP, there is plenty of room for both as both will be expanding the market for EVs.
However, one thing for sure, the Bolt will be outselling the Model 3 as soon as the Bolt becomes available. This will only change when Tesla starts selling the Model 3, which at best, will be late 2017.

My point exactly... I should have worded it a bit differently, but I was addressing concerns that "Oh no! The Bolt beat Tesla at it's own game, what will they do?" I was saying not to worry. And yes, a car's beauty is a matter of opinion at the end of the day- but my wife hated the i3, and all my co workers I showed the new Bolt to said yeah... that's ugly. I own a Chevy Volt... I want the Bolt to do well. While I could settle with accepting the Volt's looks (from certain angles I love it), after a whole lunch break of staring at the Bolt... it doesn't sit well with me. But remember this as well- I was told through emails I'd have the 2016 Volt in my driveway by fall 2015. It's now not slated to come to the East coast till later this year... the Bolt could get delayed as well. AND let's face it a long distance road trip in the Bolt will NOT be efficient without a highspeed charging network.

I do want Bolt to succeed, and I don't mind the looks; seems comparable to other cars in that size segment/utility. Even if perfect, one thing I can see getting in the way of that success is "I'm not paying $40k for a Chevy" - vs. the Tesla story of "I'm getting a Tesla for only $40k". You show up at Chevy dealer, and you not the prices of their other cars, and Bolt is towards the higher end. You show up at Tesla store, and it looks like a bargain compared to the other two in store. Anyway, I think it will play into the picture. Maybe the best customers for Bolt are Model S owners that want a second car and don't want to wait (however much) longer for the 3 :)

(Yes, I know Bolt is $37,5k - rebate, but $30k will not get it off the lot.)

Based on current attitudes, the Bolt and others from established brands will gain traction (pun intended) only if car dealers' attitudes towards BEVs change. As it is, we keep hearing stories of how Volt or Leaf buyers are either steered towards ICE products of else given misinformation or incorrect information when expressing interest in BEVs.

I think the Bolt is attractive. More econobox than upscale.

In the end I think the model 3 will be more upscale (sedan like) and actually sell for a higher average price due to available AWD, available higher power, and more available creature comforts. Yes the basic car will be $35K similar to the Bolt.

They are targeting only 30K Bolts per year so there is definitely room for both cars.

The i3 and Leaf I think many people found ugly. The Bolt some people think the concept is ugly, some the production ugly. I prefer the production than the concept and while it's definitely not good looking by any stretch, I don't think it is ugly (I think it is better than the i3 and Leaf). It's basically an econobox with some Volt styling thrown in.

Of course for the Model 3, I am expecting Tesla will do a lot better than all of the above examples. I can't wait for the March unveiling.

I know 2 people in a non-car forum I belong to have posted they WANT the Bolt based on looks. I don't mind how it looks myself. If there were a means within range of here for Level 3 charging it for road trips (there isn't), I'd consider it myself.

The way things are looking right now, I may have to settle for a Volt for my next car.

In North America, Bolt looks as good as a $20k econobox hatchback is going to look. With a $10k-$17k premium for being electric.

In Europe where people are used to paying the equivalent of $30k plus for top spec compact/subcompact hatchback it will find a warmer reception.

The Model 3 should look like an entry level luxury ICEv with a similar price tag but slightly less equipment.

We just bought a used Volt to replace my wife's Mazda 3 (192K miles) in order to bridge to the M3. I like the Volt and like buying through Carvana even better. I would like the Bolt to be successful just because Tesla cannot do everything itself but here are the problems I see:
1. Dealers. They are not likely to order the Bolt in sufficient numbers, train salesmen and service techs because they can direct the consumer to nearly identical performing ICE cars that are less expensive. They also make more money on maintenance.
2. 30K production. This is only a toe in the water approach. I have also seen a quote that indicates that it is expected to help sales in certain states, indicating compliance vehicle.
3. Battery availability for additional sales. This has been thoroughly discussed. Volt and Bolt cannot both be big successes within LG's battery capacity. Apparently GM will order from LG only after seeing the market, likely delaying additional production.
4. Will the Bolt cannabilize the Volt or vice versa?
5. No fast charging network.

I think the Bolt is unlikely to be very successful simply because it doesn't apprear to compete well against similar ICE even in GM's own lineup. In order to push BEV the products need to be better than similar ICE vehicles especially with low gas prices

The Bolt is not attractive to my eye. Looks very econobox to me. But that is just my taste. I think that the Bolt and the M3 will appeal to different buyers. Bolt: economy minded, who view a car as a utility. M3: buyers who are more passionate about vehicles. Neither is right or wrong. I'm in the M3 camp. But since I have a MS, I am all set.

I hope both are wildly successful.

My point exactly... I should have worded it a bit differently, but I was addressing concerns that "Oh no! The Bolt beat Tesla at it's own game, what will they do?" I was saying not to worry. And yes, a car's beauty is a matter of opinion at the end of the day- but my wife hated the i3, and all my co workers I showed the new Bolt to said yeah... that's ugly. I own a Chevy Volt... I want the Bolt to do well. While I could settle with accepting the Volt's looks (from certain angles I love it), after a whole lunch break of staring at the Bolt... it doesn't sit well with me. But remember this as well- I was told through emails I'd have the 2016 Volt in my driveway by fall 2015. It's now not slated to come to the East coast till later this year... the Bolt could get delayed as well. AND let's face it a long distance road trip in the Bolt will NOT be efficient without a highspeed charging network.

Agree. I would love for them all to do well, and would selfishly love for the Bolt to be "cute," but my very-spoiled daughter says it's "soooooo ugly." That sends me back to square. one. She kinda likes the Volt, but I am loathe to go back to any form of ICE. I think that since we have the ability, we should start her off in the right direction with a pure EV. But a Tesla S is huge and expensive. But there is that supercharger network. Not sure how she'd charge a Bolt easily otherwise, especially as she heads to college.

<snip>
She kinda likes the Volt, but I am loathe to go back to any form of ICE.
<snip>
I change the oil in my Volt every 2 years ... and rotate tires like all cars. I also drive in max regen mode (L gear) so rarely use brake pads.
2016 goes ~50 miles on battery even if you punch it (ie. ICE doesn't start based on power demand). It has a lot of safety features.
The Volt would be perfect and you never have to worry about her being stranded. That is what I'd get for my daughter (in fact, both my sons are driving Volts).

For those who are worried about Chevy beating Tesla to the table, don't be concerned. As long as Tesla sticks to it's usual design methodology and Franz delivers a beautiful car, they will sell QUITE well. Also remember the incredible charging infrastructure they have been building out for years now, that NO other car company has even BEGUN to try to match in terms of custom design or scale. The BMW i3 and probably the Bolt are/ will be great cars, but they fall short in design and that will affect their sales.
What car in its class looks better? I wish it didn't look like an econobox as well, but there it is...

A lot depends on color. Black may look very sharp for the Bolt. While the interior is simple, the touch screen is impressive with the flexibility of placement of controls. The result of competition is a better product for all of us. Let me post my two best photos of Bolt when I saw it at CES. For those who want to see all the photos of the Bolt on the turntable from various angles and exposures plus a video of Bolt spinning around: Chevrolet Bolt CES | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

Last edited:
Looks better than that freak Toyota Murai. Just sayin.

So what will be chevy's plan to incentivize its dealers to sell 'em? Limited production #s will help solve that problem, I guess.

I change the oil in my Volt every 2 years ... and rotate tires like all cars. I also drive in max regen mode (L gear) so rarely use brake pads.
2016 goes ~50 miles on battery even if you punch it (ie. ICE doesn't start based on power demand). It has a lot of safety features.
The Volt would be perfect and you never have to worry about her being stranded. That is what I'd get for my daughter (in fact, both my sons are driving Volts).
Yes, it's still very high on my list. She will always be using gas, though. Even her competitive sport she attends a few times a week is a 70 mile r/t. And where would she charge it once she's off to college? Is that easy enough every 50 miles of usage with no supercharger network? Just rely on Blink et al? Thanks for any advice.

- - - Updated - - -

A lot depends on color. Black may look very sharp for the Bolt. While the interior is simple, the touch screen is impressive with the flexibility of placement of controls. The result of competition is a better product for all of us. Let me post my two best photos of Bolt when I saw it at CES. For those who want to see all the photos of the Bolt on the turntable from various angles and exposures plus a video of Bolt spinning around: Chevrolet Bolt CES | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

View attachment 107323

View attachment 107324
Thanks. Still seems to resemble a Prius, imo. But agree that the neon orange they first sent images out of was not the best color.