Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model S need to be plugged in to receive firmware updates? Or on wifi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wifi is better in my driveway than in my detached garage, and with 7.1 rolling out, I'd like it to make sure it can grab it.

A few questions:

1. Does it need to be on wifi to download updates? I thought not, and that it just takes much longer?
  2. Does it only check once per day? Is there a way to force it to check?
  3. Does it need to be plugged in to receive updates?

Thanks!

I don't know that it matters. My car always has gotten updates while on wifi. There is (to my knowledge) no way to make it check for the update. The SC can of course apply it for you. My car is still several updates behind - never got that update with Launch Mode for example.

The answer to 1 and 3 is no. It will plugged and on 3G. I once got an update in the airport parking lot. No power and no wifi.

I don't know how often it checks, but it almost certainly more than once per day because I've received update notices at different times in different locations -- most commonly late at night at home, but I have also seen it update at work in the morning when I was at home all night connected.

1. No, either works. Speed all depends on quality of WiFi & your Internet connection, and LTE of course based on how good or bad reception you have (hopefully no single bars!)
2. No way to force the update. Patience young Padawan.
3. No, it does not need to be charging.

suggest you set your Tesla App to notify you when software updates are available. That way you'll get a push msg when the update is fully downloaded. At that point, you go to your MS and schedule the update to take place. When it's done you'll get another push msg so you can go out and play.

There are reports that updating over 3G is slower than Wi-Fi, your car will be prioritised over Wi-Fi connected cars. Presumably, this reduces Tesla's data costs and so this is why they encourage you to use Wi-Fi for the large updates (~200MB or so IIRC)

Just got my car last week and still waiting for the update. does anyone have a screenshot of what it looks like when the update is available? I can't seem to find one on the forums.
Congrats on your new MS. I don't have a photo, as I too am still waiting, but don't worry... You won't miss it. It will be a Pop-up on your 17" that won't normally go away until you take action... If you should then purposely bypass it, you'll see a new icon at the top of the 17" where you can get back to the installation screen. ...and if you've not done it already, enable software notifications in your Tesla App. When the download is complete and ready on your MS, you'll get a push msg on your iPhone or Android the update is available. You don't have to go out and keep checking your car that way.

Just finished a 25 minute drive and noticed the whole time, sitting in driveway, driving, even arriving at location, lots of hard drive sounds coming from behind the dash. Maybe it's downloading....... Hopefully I wake to a notification tomorrow morning

did you get the update? looks like no P90Ds have been updated to 7.1.....

My wifi is better in my driveway than in my detached garage, and with 7.1 rolling out, I'd like it to make sure it can grab it.

A few questions:

1. Does it need to be on wifi to download updates? I thought not, and that it just takes much longer?
  2. Does it only check once per day? Is there a way to force it to check?
  3. Does it need to be plugged in to receive updates?

Thanks!

When? Where? Reference?

I'm having a hard time finding the exact reference, but I know Musk has talked about it before. Also, the numbers reported so far seem to support it. That or there are a LOT more people who hook up to wifi at home than who don't.

Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 6.27.07 PM.png

Just got my car last week and still waiting for the update. does anyone have a screenshot of what it looks like when the update is available? I can't seem to find one on the forums.

I'm enjoying the unusual experience of being amongst the earlier recipients of 7.1 as normally "Down Under" is a little later.
As previously said, when the update is downloaded, the next time you get in the car a big prompt will appear on your 17" screen asking you to schedule a time for the update. Even if you close that window you can easily get it back by tapping on the Alarm Clock symbol that appears right at the top of the 17" screen just to the right of the big T.

Sorry didn't get a picture and have applied the update so the clock symbol has gone away.

I'm having a hard time finding the exact reference, but I know Musk has talked about it before. Also, the numbers reported so far seem to support it. That or there are a LOT more people who hook up to wifi at home than who don't.

View attachment 107416

I also suspect some people like myself use WiFi at home in hopes it is a little faster, and if Tesla ever provides map updates, according to the Owner's manual they are only provided to users via WiFi. ;)