Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Frunk Strength?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

I'm a model X reservation holder who has been toying with the idea of buying a CPO model S instead.
I just spent 2 hours reading about the fragility of the model S frunk and I was shocked and disappointed - it may be a deal breaker for me!

Anyone know if the model X frunk has been sufficiently improved such that you don't need a PhD to close it without denting/deforming it?

I want a useable frunk where I can throw my gym bag etc into it every day to keep it out of sight and NOT have to worry about it. It seems like many peoples solution on the model S is to hardly use the frunk!

Last edited:
I give my S a chest compression right over the latch, no problems, and I use it a lot.

You could probably replace your hood every three months and still come out ahead money wise.

I know Tesla says to push on the front edge about 16" apart, but why would you not push on the latch mechanism area? That is where the resistance/fulcrum is so that is what I do.

I do appreciate the feedback this far. I just finished reading another 28 page thread on this topic and it's hard to figure out if this has been blown out of proportion - although it scares me!

That said, we don't really need to rehash the model S issue here. It's up to me to decide if I believe it.

But, could a Model X owner out there please comment as to whether upon delivery, were you instructed to be as careful with your frunk? Does your owners manual have the same warning of red/green zones where you can't/can push the frunk closed?

Last edited:
I give my S a chest compression right over the latch, no problems, and I use it a lot.

You could probably replace your hood every three months and still come out ahead money wise.

I know Tesla says to push on the front edge about 16" apart, but why would you not push on the latch mechanism area? That is where the resistance/fulcrum is so that is what I do.

The reason for steady pressure when closing has nothing to do with the latch. When you apply gentle steady pressure it is to compress the rubber seal that keeps water and dirt out of the sealed compartment. The best way to spread the closing pressure over the frunk compartment seal is to spread the pressure by pushing on each side of the latch with gentle steady pressure.

Three Model S cars and one Model X and I have never had any difficulty closing the frunk. You are compressing a rubber seal for a water tight enclosure. Slamming like an ICE hood just bounces the frunk lid over the rubber seal. Think of it as snapping the lid on a plastic food container.

The X does open and close a little easier but both cars are pretty simple to open and close. I sure would not make the Model decision based on closing the frunk.

- - - Updated - - -

I do appreciate the feedback this far. I just finished reading another 28 page thread on this topic and it's hard to figure out if this has been blown out of proportion - although it scares me!

That said, we don't really need to rehash the model S issue here. It's up to me to decide if I believe it.

But, could a Model X owner out there please comment as to whether upon delivery, were you instructed to be as careful with your frunk? Does your owners manual have the same warning of red/green zones where you can't/can push the frunk closed?

Even if you do get the dreaded frunk crease it is almost impossible to see the slight crease without getting on your knees and looking over the flat hood surface very closely. To me it is a complete non issue.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
My apologies if I'm not quite understanding or if I'm not asking quite clearly.

I certainly appreciate those model S owners who are chiming in saying they have no issues. But from my readings, it seems like you folks may just be the luckier ones. There seems to be a ton of variables, from whether you have old 2 latch design vs the newer reinforced design...to how "easy" it is to depress your particular frunk to make it latch...
With all respect, I can't determine in this thread if the model S situation is a deal breaker without replaying all the previous threads and figuring out where the model S I'd buy would fall in the spectrum (I'd be looking at a 2013 P85 probably)

So, there's something going on with the S...let's call it, "it". I don't know exactly what "it" is. But I want to know if "it" has been totally solved on the X or not?

Also, I hear the opinion that I shouldn't base my whole decision on the frunk. I get that - and maybe I agree that even if you get the crease, maybe you just say whatever, a car is a car, it's gonna get hurt, you just try and avoid it but if it happens you just live with it. If I unknowingly bought an S and got the crease, for sure that's how I'd deal. But going into this decision, if I know the X frunk has zero issues, I can assign a $ value to this and see how everything shakes out.

my line of thinking is I can either get a loaded 2013 P85 for like $67k tax incl., or a relatively bare P70D X for maybe $87k after all taxes and credits. I'd be giving up AP, and a bunch of stuff, but I'd save $20k. But maybe it's worth $4k of that delta in peace of mind for me to just never have to run screaming across a carwash parking lot as some worker slams by frunk, and to not have to forbid all family and friends from using the frunk. Actually, not having to lecture (and monitor/enforce) my wife on this procedure is worth $4k!!

Is the frunk issue on the MS real? Very much so, yes. It's why Tesla has redesigned it. It's why my a dent repair guy who fixed mine has an open PO with Tesla to fix the issue. It's why Tesla paid to fix mine. It's why that same repair guy has lost count on how many he has done...and many of them are pre-delivery...straight from the service center. It's why Tesla changed the owner's manual to put a big color coded illustration as to how to close it (an illustration that is exactly opposite of what I was told on delivery).

Yes, it impacted me. Yes, you have to be careful.

No, it has zero impact to any future decision I'd make. I have a reservation for an X and I'd re-buy a MS in a second if given the opportunity. Do not have the frunk drive any of your purchasing decisions.

• Helpful
This is news to me. Though since getting Sig MS in 2012 have not been looking at Model S site very much. Now with 37,000 miles and counting on MS never had issue with frunk closing, and use it daily, where groceries go and gym bag gets stowed. As mentioned in other reply, just use gentle but firm pressure with two hands and push down, many things in life more complicated. Don't expect issues with MX configured 30 November either. Cheers.

The person closing the frunk lid knows when they are pressing in the wrong place, you feel a little give to the metal and you stop pressing immediately and shift the palms and fingers to the right spots.

Once you know the right locations to place both hands and dedicate your entire self to the task without distractions such as doing it with one hand while carrying something, it works fine.

Over three years with Model S, no problem. Model X has the same issue, and the owner's manual displayed on the touch screen is very specific where those safe areas are.

Just make sure that you are doing it. Don't let others close your frunk lid. No dropping allowed. Lower it and then press with the palms and fingers of both hands gently to the first click and then with the right force to the second click of the latch. Model X sounds and feels different. Practice a few times and it makes sense.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
The person closing the trunk lid knows when they are pressing in the wrong place, you feel a little give to the metal and you stop pressing immediately and shift the palms and fingers to the right spots.

Once you know the right locations to place both hands and dedicate your entire self to the task without distractions such as doing it with one hand while carrying something, it works fine.

Over three years with Model S, no problem. Model X has the same issue, and the owner's manual displayed on the touch screen is very specific where those safe areas are.

Just make sure that you are doing it. Don't let others close your frunk lid. No dropping allowed. Lower it and then press with the palms and fingers of both hands gently to the first click and then with the right force to the second click of the latch. Model X sounds and feels different. Practice a few times and it makes sense.

It's very strange that Model X has automated front doors, locks, FWd, seats, windows and trunk yet Tesla 'forgot' to make frunk open/close automatically as well. It's a $140k car after all.

It's very strange that Model X has automated front doors, locks, FWd, seats, windows and trunk yet Tesla 'forgot' to make frunk open/close automatically as well. It's a $140k car after all.
Perhaps Tesla Motors doesn't want any sudden openings while the vehicle is in motion. It's nice to have one location that can be accessed if all else fails!

With bugs and dirt on the hood, I don't put things in the frunk that I would normally access frequently during a road trip. It's great for the items you need at the destination or that you would like to access separately if the lid is clean.

Does anyone use gloves. paper towels or a cloth to close the frunk lid during a road trip through buggy areas of the country?

Last edited:
Perhaps Tesla Motors doesn't want any sudden openings while the vehicle is in motion. It's nice to have one location that can be accessed if all else fails!

With bugs and dirt on the hood, I don't put things in the frunk that I would normally access frequently during a road trip. It's great for the items you need at the destination or that you would like to access separately if the lid is clean.

Another reason to make it automatic. :) They could at very least use electric latch. You do make good point that frunk area contains safety disconnect so it maybe one of the reasons why it's not motorized.