Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nice Bike Rack for the X....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went on smoothly in <15 minutes (pretty good for the first time figuring things out)...LOVE IT...1UP USA.... 1UPUSA.com :: Home

No hitch extension required....but hatch will hit bikes in both positions when opening if rack/bikes not tilted rearward.....

Bike.png
Closed.png
Hitch.png
Rack.png

Reactions: hiroshiy
Looks great. Have you tried fitting your bike inside the X? I'm fine with a hitch rack getting to the local trails, but when road tripping I like to have the bike secured inside the vehicle (to be safe from theft and also road crud).

I have the 1+1 version of that rack and love it on my current car. It only takes about 30 seconds to pick it up, carry it over to the car, and attach it fully to the permanently installed receiver I have (and an additional 30 seconds to attach the second +1 part of the rack if I need to carry 2 bikes). I certainly hope the 14.5 additional minutes were not to attach the removable receiver to the back of the X...?

That's the one I plan on getting too! Will likely be going for the double with 2 add ons for a max of 4 (lots of riding buddies and sometimes need to bring the TT bike too ;-) ). Definitely getting the tow package for the 2" receiver.

Hope the range hit isn't too awful.

"Would you please show a pic or video of the the bike tilted rearward and hatch open. Is it difficult to tilt down and up with the bikes on?"

I can put one up tomorrow...but with one or two bikes and the hitch tilted rearward, there is no chance for the hatch to hit the handlebars....Its not too difficult to tilt the rack backwards, just rotate a ball screw a few rotations, pull a little lever, and the entire assembly rotates down...same for going back up..

- - - Updated - - -

Looks great. Have you tried fitting your bike inside the X? I'm fine with a hitch rack getting to the local trails, but when road tripping I like to have the bike secured inside the vehicle (to be safe from theft and also road crud).

Have not tried to put the bike in the X...but even with the 6 seat config, I'm almost positive I'd have to take off a wheel....I bought a good "rope" lock from the same company, and if I was going to haul it a long road trip...I'd just lock it to the carrier and put the bike in a bike bag to keep it free from debris...

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the pics! Transporting my mountain bike is the main reason I am getting an X (in addition to my S) as well as to haul gear and family to the mountains. Is that a 29rer? Is the hatch just hitting the handlebar(s)?

Its a 27.5" BronsonC from Santa Cruz....Ride was awesome today...

Skeggs Car.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Nice bike! Is that the 5010? How easy is it to remove the hitch?

Its a 27.5" BronsonC from Santa Cruz....Removing the rack and hitch is a breeze. To remove the rack you just use their special alan wrench to loosen the engagement bolt and pull the unit out (<1min). I purchased the optional safety lock which installs infront of the alan bolt to prevent someone that has the special alan key from taking the rack off. removing this extra locking mechanism is an extra 1 minute with a key. After the rack is removed, you can remove the hitch in about a minute...just insert a key, rotate it 90 degrees, turn a hand wrench 1/4 turn (located on the hitch), and the unit drops right out to store......then there is a plastic plug you should install in the hitch opening to prevent it from getting gummed up and then a plastic cover that snaps in and is secured by a coin turned plastic piece (3 minutes)

- - - Updated - - -

I have the 1+1 version of that rack and love it on my current car. It only takes about 30 seconds to pick it up, carry it over to the car, and attach it fully to the permanently installed receiver I have (and an additional 30 seconds to attach the second +1 part of the rack if I need to carry 2 bikes). I certainly hope the 14.5 additional minutes were not to attach the removable receiver to the back of the X...?

The 14.5 minutes were really just me reading the instructions and making sure I did it right. ..It was just the first time I ever did it (and I have an additional lock which mounts in front of the alan bolt that secure the unit to the hitch...see more detailed description above...

- - - Updated - - -

That's the one I plan on getting too! Will likely be going for the double with 2 add ons for a max of 4 (lots of riding buddies and sometimes need to bring the TT bike too ;-) ). Definitely getting the tow package for the 2" receiver.

Hope the range hit isn't too awful.

One thing I didn't like is that when the bikes are mounted, if you open the hatch you will hit a handle bar... you need to tilt the mounted bikes reward to ensure there won't be any interaction. I'm not sure if you had 4 bikes mounted, you could tilt it down enough...perhaps you could? I just haven't looked into it...something to think about

Don't really have any info on range hit...I only know going up to the trailhead at the top of the mountain, I was an electricity hog...and on the way down after the ride, I created a lot of energy....

The 14.5 minutes were really just me reading the instructions and making sure I did it right. ..It was just the first time I ever did it (and I have an additional lock which mounts in front of the alan bolt that secure the unit to the hitch...see more detailed description above...

I hadn't seen that alan bolt lock before. Does it have anything to keep it from rattling back and forth in the hole when inserted and locked?

One thing I didn't like is that when the bikes are mounted, if you open the hatch you will hit a handle bar... you need to tilt the mounted bikes reward to ensure there won't be any interaction. I'm not sure if you had 4 bikes mounted, you could tilt it down enough...perhaps you could? I just haven't looked into it...something to think about

There is a document on the 1upusa web site that shows all of the dimensions in all of the tilted configurations with lots of measurements.

quikrackdouble.pdf

It looks like it hangs 39.85 inches out from the end of the hitch and 15.95 inches below the bottom of the hitch when tilted down with 2 add-ons (4 bike configuration).

- - - Updated - - -

Its not too difficult to tilt the rack backwards, just rotate a ball screw a few rotations, pull a little lever, and the entire assembly rotates down...same for going back up..

That's odd. On my single rack I just pull a lever bar and it tilts right away - no ball screw to rotate at all...?