Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon differences in Canada (is now available)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried the "stall" parking and great success! Drove past the free spot and parking indicator came on. It was a tight spot and normally I would not park my Tesla there. Anyway, I applied brake and engaged reverse. Answered yes to the self parking question on the main screen and let it do its stuff.
The car backed up in a tight circle into the spot. When half way in it drove forward a bit to correct angle and then backed in to perfect position.
Another improvement is that the car in Autopilot mode will not try to take the exit on a limited access highway unless you signal.

I just tried the parking as well with success.

Homelink Auto-Close didn't work. But Auto-Open did. So my garage door stayed open until I came home and the Auto Open actually started closing. I wonder why that happened?

I just tried the parking as well with success.

Homelink Auto-Close didn't work. But Auto-Open did. So my garage door stayed open until I came home and the Auto Open actually started closing. I wonder why that happened?

I had the same experience the first time I tries it, but it worked perfectly today. Maybe there's a glitch that makes it not work right after a reboot.

I had the same experience the first time I tries it, but it worked perfectly today. Maybe there's a glitch that makes it not work right after a reboot.
There is a post in another thread that says that the Homelink signal from the Tesla is very directional. I have a circular driveway so my car is usually pointing away from the garage when the close command should trigger so that may be causing an issue as well.

No issue whatsoever with auto open or close. I back in but it starts opening when I stop perpendicular to back in with perfect timing. When I leave it starts to close the door when the back of the car is about 10-15 feet from the door.

It is already available in the US, so I don't know how you defined "anywhere"

Yes but to what degree? In owner's driveways? I doubt it will ever be permitted in parking lots where the car could hit someone. Would you really trust it to drive from the far end of the parking lot to where you are at the entrance? I do not know the situation in the States and maybe it is permitted to drive in a public space, but what if it really did hit someone on the way? A small child perhaps that the sensor missed? A small animal? What would you do? Your insurance would hit the roof?
Just imagine the outrage from the family of the person hit.
Yes, perhaps Tesla would be held accountable, but more importantly, so would you.
Personally, I think it would be very foolish and selfish to use this feature.
Just my two cents worth and I'm not trying to knock the system. I just don't think the summon feature is ready for prime time.

First of all it is intended for private property only and a parking lot is private property.
Lots of people hit something or someone even without "Summon" capability. The Tesla sensors probably are a better recognition "cocoon" than the peripheral vision and reaction time of some drivers.
Either way you are in control and accountable.
Using the feature is a personal decision.
Anybody know why it is not available in our liberal country?

Anybody know why it is not available in our liberal country?
I'm not sure it has much to do with our country. It appears it's not available anywhere other than the USA. If it was something Canada specific you'd expect there to be at least one place other than the USA that got it...

One of the things I really liked about Tesla before buying my car was that they didn't play the geographic favourites game. So many companies release updates in Canada years after they do the same update in the USA, or don't bother updating Canada at all. Seems my faith may have been misguided...

Yes but to what degree? In owner's driveways? I doubt it will ever be permitted in parking lots where the car could hit someone. Would you really trust it to drive from the far end of the parking lot to where you are at the entrance? I do not know the situation in the States and maybe it is permitted to drive in a public space, but what if it really did hit someone on the way? A small child perhaps that the sensor missed? A small animal? What would you do? Your insurance would hit the roof?
Just imagine the outrage from the family of the person hit.
Yes, perhaps Tesla would be held accountable, but more importantly, so would you.
Personally, I think it would be very foolish and selfish to use this feature.
Just my two cents worth and I'm not trying to knock the system. I just don't think the summon feature is ready for prime time.

I agree that it isn't ready for regular use in public areas in its current form, but that's why it's labelled as a beta. I'm looking forward to seeing more capable and sophisticated versions as time goes by, just like we've experienced for other car functions.

As for summon or autopilot features being permitted in parking lots and other public areas, I'm categorizing this as just another facet of autonomous vehicle operation and that's already legal for testing in Ontario as of Jan 1 -- it's just a matter of time before the remaining accommodations (traffic laws, insurance etc.) that'll be needed for widespread adoption are in place.

I'm sure it will eventually show up in Canada and elsewhere (unless it's deemed illegal), but given that there are laws that need to be checked and interpreted, I can see how they'd want to spend time figuring out those laws, country/region by region. In other words, I'd want to get an explicit confirmation it's legal, maybe even with each provincial authority...

I'm sure it will eventually show up in Canada and elsewhere (unless it's deemed illegal), but given that there are laws that need to be checked and interpreted, I can see how they'd want to spend time figuring out those laws, country/region by region. In other words, I'd want to get an explicit confirmation it's legal, maybe even with each provincial authority...

Agreed with your interpretation of why they would do it.
Considering the bad feedback they got when they had to pull AP out of Hong Kong because of regulation, they might have chosen to go the slow way and check individual country's legislation first...
I'm not saying it's good for us though as it's really going to slow down some of these features delivery globally but reverting any feature generates lots of bad press.
:-(