Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Essential upgrades - all year car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking into buying a Tesla Roadster for all year use, more specific the Roadster 2.5. We have another car, but I am not a fan of buying an expensive toy to sit in the garage half of the time.

I have tried google and use the forum search function, but did not readily find the answer.

What are the essential upgrades to the Roadster for all year use?

My list so far:
Xenon headlights - From what I hear, even with these night rides can be very dark?
Hardtop - Maybe even the panorama, although not essential.
Winter tire set - haven't looked into any specific here
NEMA charger 14-50 and HPWC, also NEMA 5-15 (?)
Brake upgrade (?)
Paint armor (?)
Aftermarket soundproofing (?)

Considering in a few years:
Battery upgrade

Thanks in advance, I am so much looking forward to being on the road this year.

OVMS module, to allow you to remotely monitor and track the vehicle, as well as giving you remote control over locking/unlocking, charging, etc...via Android/iPhone.

Absolutely essential.

I also think a dashcam is worth the investment, especially if you're going to drive the car in bad weather. Avoids all kinds of "No, YOU hit ME" arguments if something happens.

I'm not sure if they use salt on the roads in the winter over there, but salt will quickly eat the plating off the suspension arms. You will have a very rusty undercarriage within a few months. Not something I would advise on such a rare car.

Paint Armor or X-Pel the entire car (including under the doors and the sills). We did the Paint Armor just after we bought our car (2011) and have had no regrets. Also add weather stripping to the bottom of the doors to keep the road crap from the sills. Maybe a snow dam around the rear fans. We plan on applying Dynamat under the carpet for sound proofing and to keep the footwell warm in the winter.

So in conclusion, what I should be looking for is:
Xenon headlights - 2600 $ (Tesla)
Hardtop - 5000 $ (Tesla)
Winter tire set - 4400 $ (Tesla, forged rims)
HPWC and NEMA 14-50 adapter - 2000 $ (Tesla)
Brake upgrade - 300 $ (Carbotech AX6)
Paint armor - 3000 $ (3M)
Aftermarket soundproofing - 2000 $ (Dynamat)

That's some list :)

I see you live in Denmark. You don't need the Nema 14-50 adapter here in Europe, look for a good type2 charger.
I have a super portable (!) charger that can deliver 240V 64A: http://www.crohm.ch/index.php/compo...78-ladestationen/73-evse1m63-ladestation.html

141104_crOhm2_600.jpg

The hardtop comes for a fraction of that price if you don't buy a Tesla one.
The wheels can be much cheaper, after all they're just winters. Buy the non-forged set or go aftermarket. There's some threads about that around here.

That's some list :)

I see you live in Denmark. You don't need the Nema 14-50 adapter here in Europe, look for a good type2 charger.
I have a super portable (!) charger that can deliver 240V 64A: http://www.crohm.ch/index.php/compo...78-ladestationen/73-evse1m63-ladestation.html

View attachment 108501

The hardtop comes for a fraction of that price if you don't buy a Tesla one.
The wheels can be much cheaper, after all they're just winters. Buy the non-forged set or go aftermarket. There's some threads about that around here.

Good morning Morph

Your super portable charger looks good to me. But which cable do you use to plug it to the roadster? Any picture of the roadster charging using it ?

So in conclusion, what I should be looking for is:
->Xenon headlights - 2600 $ (Tesla)
An alternative is to install or have installed an HID retrofit kit into your existing Halogens, but you'll have some time down if you don't do it yourself. Its a little bit of a task since you have to split the headlight assembly. But its only a fraction of the cost. I went with the TRS kit that was around $300 or so. This includes everything, ballasts, wiring, and the glass low beam HID projectors. You can also at minimum install just the HID bulbs in the existing Halogen glass projectors. However you won't get the best results such as changing out to the glass HID projectors since they have different focus and light dispersion as a result. But anything is better than the dangerous halogen lighting. But if you have the money, go with the Tesla HID because you can't go wrong other than it cost quite a bit more.

->Hardtop - 5000 $ (Tesla)
An alternative is to purchase the Visium glasstop / clear hardtop. Its around $2600 (US) and brings you as close to topless as you can get. You can read more in the forum as well as see pics on this.

->HPWC and NEMA 14-50 adapter - 2000 $ (Tesla)
There's aftermarket chargers you can buy that work just as well or better than Tesla's. The older ClipperCreek style chargers are tanks and bullet proof.

->Brake upgrade - 300 $ (Carbotech AX6)
If you're driving in cold conditions and the majority of your driving is below 50F in temps, I highly suggest getting the CarboTech Bobcat pad compound. Reason being is that the AX6 compound is skating the edge of a track based pad. And with that it needs 'some' heat to achieve optimal performance, the AX6 has working temps for typical spring/fall/summer driving. Temps in Santa Cruz where I live don't drop below 50's all too much in the winter, so they work fantastic for me. However if you're doing a great portion of driving below 50F then I'd consider the Bobcat. Possibly someone on the forum running the AX6 and also Bobcat possibly in cold climates can chime in on how they bite in lower temperature conditions.

Last edited:
hands down > THIS can-jnr direct to Type2 converter for charging in Europe.
(I have its older brother can to J1772 so need a cable too - this new version is better !!) Europe Roadster adapter to Typ2-connector for use 43kW-charger - Page 5

But carbotech brakes should be No1 mod (for safety). (there are other alternative pads but not as extensively tested on Roadsters as these).

Lights
: the standard main beams are good - its the dipped beams that are weak - I simply used uprated 'superbright' bulbs which help big time - but if you drive a lot of country lanes at night go for all the light you can get. I'm adding Hidden in grill LED driving lights for a bit more light too.

As for Hard top - I effectively swapped my tesla hardtop for the visium clear top. I love the fighter plane cockpit effect in winter (in summer its soft top off as much as possible - a UK thing - as sun can be elusive). Tip: seal the joins where the visium meets the car at the front and back with black tape - invisible and makes the top much quieter - but not quite as quiet or warm as the triple skinned Tesla hardtop ...I sold mine this as, a designer, I didn't like the aesthetics [nerd ? ;-) ] and it paid for the visium.

OVMS - essential for remote observation, charging and other conveniences.

I added a DAB radio converter (hidden under dash - transmits on FM) as the 1 radio program I listen to in UK (R4) is weak and with carbon bodywork, the roadster doesn't have the best radio reception.

An old Ipod works well with the inbuilt radio ( and fits neatly in the space below the handbrake.

To hold the phone, I find the kenu is THE best holder it fits on Airvent without much clutter.

Finally anything to stop the roadsters cooling fans from vacuuming up all the dirt leaves and cr*p on the road - here's what I did, (others have tried other solutions). I find this works perfectly and has no effect on cooling as it keeps high airflow: > Roadster Rear Blower Maintenance - Page 6

Last edited:
Good morning Morph

Your super portable charger looks good to me. But which cable do you use to plug it to the roadster? Any picture of the roadster charging using it ?

Hi,

My cable was custom made by Henry Sharp, I'm not sure he still makes those.
His "Can SR" with a type 2 male to female cable (rated minimum 64A) would be even better.

20366136985_35631466c7_h.jpg

20357617192_ebc243b634_h.jpg

19745194583_650036207a_h.jpg

->Xenon headlights - 2600 $ (Tesla)
An alternative is to install or have installed an HID retrofit kit into your existing Halogens, but you'll have some time down if you don't do it yourself. Its a little bit of a task since you have to split the headlight assembly. But its only a fraction of the cost. I went with the TRS kit that was around $300 or so. This includes everything, ballasts, wiring, and the glass low beam HID projectors. You can also at minimum install just the HID bulbs in the existing Halogen glass projectors. However you won't get the best results such as changing out to the glass HID projectors since they have different focus and light dispersion as a result. But anything is better than the dangerous halogen lighting. But if you have the money, go with the Tesla HID because you can't go wrong other than it cost quite a bit more.
I installed the HID lights for say $35, they were quite reasonable. It took a few hours and you do NOT have to split the light. You just mount from the rear as a normal headlight bulb. But it is hard to get to that rear on the drivers side.