Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection advice for Wisconsin owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got my 85D a month ago, I like many owners inspect the car briefly then drive it off the lot. A month later, I then took it to CMG detailing for Opticoat. The owner, Yoosof has done several Teslas, and noted that the paint quality has definitely improved since 2013. However, he noted that my car had several scratches that damaged the clear coat, resulting from handling post-production. Nothing I can do now. My advice is to take your car soon after delivery to a professional who will look at your car under bright lights real close, take pictures of any defects, and have it protected.

As a fellow Wisconsinite I am going to buy a Model S this year. I am very worried about protecting the finish of such an expensive car. But time and cost is a concern for me. How long did the process take (hours or days)? And can you ball park the cost?

This is purely my opinion but I feel the Tesla paint issues have been blown out of proportion. Unless the car is going to be a garage queen that you don't drive in inclement weather, I'd suggest just keeping your car clean and not worrying about the expensive aftermarket paint protection solutions. This is coming from a guy who spent $1,600 on full frontal XPEL the day of delivery based on fears propagated on this forum. In hindsight, I just don't think it was necessary.

It is what it is a Daily Driver so although more expensive, it shouldn't worry most to get minor defects. Im pretty anal about my paint, I do all my own detailing and after a few cars back I realized just as stated above, Unless its a show car or garage queen, theres too much time and money involved to try to keep any paint perfect. I love Mike Phillips (Hes a great mod on autogeek forums) and his advice is always KeepItSimpleStupid. If its a DD then dont worry so much about the paint. Make it look as deep and shiny and clean (inside and Out) and enjoy the ride more. Also My Opinion though.

Last edited:
To each his own. For me, I drive 100 miles a day and intend to keep my car for many years, so I want to preserve the paint as much as possible.
For those in Milwaukee, I also found the work of Todd from Clearbra to be superb, and he stands by his work.

Just like any other vehicle, if you take care of it, the vehicle will last. Spray it off by hand at a wash, including the undercarriage, at least once a week. I use Adam's Polishes products (not affiliated) and it makes it easy to take care of.

As a fellow Wisconsinite I am going to buy a Model S this year. I am very worried about protecting the finish of such an expensive car. But time and cost is a concern for me. How long did the process take (hours or days)? And can you ball park the cost?

I also took mine to Yoosof the day after I got it. He kept it overnight to bake under the lights. About $700. Never needs wax. Water beads up. Easy to wash.

This is purely my opinion but I feel the Tesla paint issues have been blown out of proportion. Unless the car is going to be a garage queen that you don't drive in inclement weather, I'd suggest just keeping your car clean and not worrying about the expensive aftermarket paint protection solutions. This is coming from a guy who spent $1,600 on full frontal XPEL the day of delivery based on fears propagated on this forum. In hindsight, I just don't think it was necessary.
After spending 2 1/2 years and 80,000 miles with my early production 2013 car, the fears were NOT blown out of proportion. The Paint JOB's were GREAT. the Paint QUALITY was complete Crap. Tell me, if a bird poops on the roof, and the owner of the car (me) washes it off within 5 minutes of the dropping, should a PERMANENT spot the size of a Half Dollar coin be on the paint? thats just the start of it. the paint left very very much to be desired back then. It was really horrible in my opinion (Background: Chief Nitpicker at a Custom Body shop in Cudahy before custom cars left the shop, among other duties). Tesla was actually going to fly a rep out from the company supplying the paint and clear to inspect my vehicle.

Like I said, Paint JOB was great, Paint QUALITY was not.

Fast Forward. Picked up my 2016 90D last week. Paint JOB is Great, and Paint QUALITY has been improved dramatically. Still going to Opticoat it. Most likely by CMG.

- - - Updated - - -

I also took mine to Yoosof the day after I got it. He kept it overnight to bake under the lights. About $700. Never needs wax. Water beads up. Easy to wash.
What did you get? Xpel or Opticoat? I'm on budget, and trying to decide which to get :( I can't afford to do both. It's going to be one or the other.

Tesla was actually going to fly a rep out from the company supplying the paint and clear to inspect my vehicle.

Like I said, Paint JOB was great, Paint QUALITY was not.

Fast Forward. Picked up my 2016 90D last week. Paint JOB is Great, and Paint QUALITY has been improved dramatically. Still going to Opticoat it. Most likely by CMG.

Did you end up declining Tesla's offer to have a paint rep come check out the car? I'd be curious to hear where that discussion went.

I'm in no way doubting your 2013 black S had 'complete crap' (your words! :smile:) paint quality but, for what it's worth, I live on a lake and my car seems to get bird 'droppings' on it within minutes of pulling it out of the garage in the summer. I haven't had any noticeable permanent markings on my March 2015 build S with Gray Metallic paint.

Did you end up declining Tesla's offer to have a paint rep come check out the car? I'd be curious to hear where that discussion went.

I'm in no way doubting your 2013 black S had 'complete crap' (your words! :smile:) paint quality but, for what it's worth, I live on a lake and my car seems to get bird 'droppings' on it within minutes of pulling it out of the garage in the summer. I haven't had any noticeable permanent markings on my March 2015 build S with Gray Metallic paint.

No, didn't decline the offer, but the offer seemed to "quietly disappear". I think though, they had someone inspect it while it was in for one of it's many service visits.