Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Says Model 3 Will Be On Sale 2017 Alongside Chevy Bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really do hope so, I really do. March is really a month which I'am looking forward to. The unveil of the Model 3 and the new Lenovo X1 Carbon laptop goes on sale!

I however doubt all our questions will be answered in March. Also, delivering one Model 3 in 2017 technically means they 'made' it.

Tesla was the first car manufacturer to sell 100 % electric car affortable to the public, the Tesla Model S.
Then they promised they will be the first to sell the cheap 100 % electric car, seems others got ahead of them already and they haven't delivered yet.
Tesla Model 3 better be something very good, otherwise it will be doomed by the time it will be fully available to the public, in 2018
Chevrolet is selling the electric car at 37.500 $ in 2016, not 2018.
If Chevrolet did it, i'm sure more car brands will follow them

Last edited:
I don't think there's any realistic chance that the Model 3 will be in full, volume production anytime before 4Q 2017. How many Model Xs did they deliver in 2015? 250? I would bet that the Model 3 launch will follow a similar pattern (and that's if everything goes exactly as planned).

In my most charitable view, there may be a few Founder's editions delivered by December 31, 2017. Meaningful mass market deliveries won't come until much later.

Much more likely is that Tesla will keep saying it's on schedule for delivery in 2017, right up until the final months of 2017.

In my most charitable view, there may be a few Founder's editions delivered by December 31, 2017. Meaningful mass market deliveries won't come until much later.

Much more likely is that Tesla will keep saying it's on schedule for delivery in 2017, right up until the final months of 2017.
Outfornow,
That may be your thoughts and they might be wrong.
I think a some of the R&D money from last year was spent on the Model 3 and Tesla is a lot farther ahead in M3 development.
I suppose we will see soon enough.

Eric B.
Future Model 3 owner, present 2010 Prius owner.

Outfornow,
That may be your thoughts and they might be wrong.
I think a some of the R&D money from last year was spent on the Model 3 and Tesla is a lot farther ahead in M3 development.
I suppose we will see soon enough.

Eric B.
Future Model 3 owner, present 2010 Prius owner.

Of course I might be wrong. We're all just sharing our thoughts here.

I would bet that the Model 3 launch will follow a similar pattern (and that's if everything goes exactly as planned).

Yes, that is likely. But what will "similar pattern" mean? What production numbers are Tesla expecting from Model X? 50->100k/y? And what production numbers are they expecting from Model 3? 300-500k/y? So "similar pattern" gives me about 2k TM3 delivered in 2017. And I do expect something like that... :)

Tesla was the first car manufacturer to sell 100 % electric car affortable to the public, the Tesla Model S.

The average new car price in the U.S. is $30K, with most younger people now buying used cars. What's the average car price in Romania?

- - - Updated - - -

+1
Where are the batteries for the mass market M3 coming from? GM can sell the Bolt at a loss for as long as necessary. Nissan can do the same with a better Leaf. Musk is saying that Tesla will sell the M3 in 2017 because he feels he has to make the statement.

Tesla is playing their cards right. They will be later to market than the Bolt, but with the reveal in March 2016, they will show their car to be so superior to the Bolt that many would-be Bolt buyers will defer their order until the Model 3 comes to market.

Tesla is playing their cards right. They will be later to market than the Bolt, but with the reveal in March 2016, they will show their car to be so superior to the Bolt that many would-be Bolt buyers will defer their order until the Model 3 comes to market.

I think they are enough people to buy 300.000 Bolts and 500.000 Model 3 every year. The target is to sell EV's instead of ICE'd cars, I don't think this wil be a competition between GM and Tesla.