Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indianapolis Airport (IND) - 2 new Tesla chargers at Valet Parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know details about the newly installed Tesla chargers at the IND airport? It's nice to not have to use the adaptor, but when I checked my app to see what it was charging at, I was chugging along at 12 mi/hr, 239V, 16/16A. About the same speed as the other units. I thought these would be HPWC's, and that we would see charging rates closer to 30+ mi/hr. They look like HPWC's too.

I usually try to balance free electricity with the car sitting there, and not hogging a charge station for 10 hours since others might drive from further, or might not have as much range (Volts, Leafs, etc.). I thought a 30mi/hr charge would be nice to get 150-200mi on an afternoon.

Side note - Came out to see 4 Teslas parked yesterday afternoon, including a beautiful black P90D with Ohio temp tags on it. VIN 105XXX I believe. Beautiful sight. :)

Does anyone know details about the newly installed Tesla chargers at the IND airport? It's nice to not have to use the adaptor, but when I checked my app to see what it was charging at, I was chugging along at 12 mi/hr, 239V, 16/16A. About the same speed as the other units. I thought these would be HPWC's, and that we would see charging rates closer to 30+ mi/hr. They look like HPWC's too.

I usually try to balance free electricity with the car sitting there, and not hogging a charge station for 10 hours since others might drive from further, or might not have as much range (Volts, Leafs, etc.). I thought a 30mi/hr charge would be nice to get 150-200mi on an afternoon.

Side note - Came out to see 4 Teslas parked yesterday afternoon, including a beautiful black P90D with Ohio temp tags on it. VIN 105XXX I believe. Beautiful sight. :)

Re: Airports, I found when talking to some of the folks at STL that they think a bit differently. They're fine with 16A because they figure you're gone for a day or so, if not more. STL lot A has a handful of 208V (more like 199V because of voltage drop in the distance of the circuit), 16A charging units. They don't work well for short-term parking or for road trippers, but they work just fine for me when I go on trips.

I figure that if you have a Model S and need a faster charge, you should just head a few miles to the east and use the Supercharger. It makes sense to me to have a lower-power charging station at an airport for the reason FlasherZ gave. I don't get why they would get HPWCs when there are much cheaper EVSEs that can charge a car at 4 kW.

I figure that if you have a Model S and need a faster charge, you should just head a few miles to the east and use the Supercharger. It makes sense to me to have a lower-power charging station at an airport for the reason FlasherZ gave. I don't get why they would get HPWCs when there are much cheaper EVSEs that can charge a car at 4 kW.

I'll take a closer look this week when I park, but they looked like HPWC's which had me confused on why they charged so slowly. Hopefully my 7.1 update comes in overnight as well and I can Summon to the tight spot on the west side of the pole :)

If Tesla supplied the HPWC's, they were likely free to the airport authority.

Many local Indianapolis Tesla's start with Ohio temp tags because they were delivered in Cincinnati. Mine still has the Ohio temp on it. Probably will for another month. A local SC is on the horizon ...sometime.