Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Long for Car to go to Sleep? (API)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How have you been determining that? Either I'm inadvertently keeping it awake somehow, I'm not checking the right thing, or the car isn't sleeping anywhere near that fast.

Watching the TeslaMS daemon go through its processes...

Doing *anything* with the car's API (commands or data requests to a particular vehicle) will keep it awake.

Now, that said, I have been having a problem with it "sticking" and not going to sleep lately. If you reboot the center screen, the car will go to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity.

Interesting. Thanks for your replies. The context of my original question was related to the use of the API. When the car is asleep, it doesn't respond/act on API calls/commands. I had not realized that the car being asleep (from an API perspective) is correlated with the car being asleep from an internal "display" perspective.

In case anybody is curious why I am asking this, I am using VisibleTesla to keep the car awake so that it will act on commands issued by EVMote.

Thanks.

Interesting. Thanks for your replies. The context of my original question was related to the use of the API. When the car is asleep, it doesn't respond/act on API calls/commands. I had not realized that the car being asleep (from an API perspective) is correlated with the car being asleep from an internal "display" perspective.

In case anybody is curious why I am asking this, I am using VisibleTesla to keep the car awake so that it will act on commands issued by EVMote.

Thanks.

It's only a one-direction correlation. API "sleep" can only take place when the car displays are asleep. That's not exactly what we were talking about.

I think there's something going on with the car right now, because it doesn't seem to want to go to sleep (perhaps log download, etc.). I've started the logger to collect information about when it's awake vs. asleep, I'll report anything I find here.

Okay, the car stopped doing what it was doing and went back to sleep.

8 Jan 16:18:27 - Info: 30 minute nap starts now
8 Jan 16:19:29 - Poll return HTTP OK (last 2-minute poll ended)
[...]
8 Jan 16:28:29 - Vehicle state is: online
8 Jan 16:29:29 - Vehicle state is: asleep

So 11 minutes here since the last REST request, 12 minutes since the last stream request, 10 minutes since the last stream request ended.

The car woke back up for some reason 6 minutes later...

8 Jan 16:35:03 - getting charge state Aux data
8 Jan 16:37:04 - Info: 30 minute nap starts now
8 Jan 16:56:06 - Vehicle state is: asleep

So 19 minutes there...

I'll keep my eye on it after a trip to the store tonight.

It's only a one-direction correlation. API "sleep" can only take place when the car displays are asleep. That's not exactly what we were talking about.

I think there's something going on with the car right now, because it doesn't seem to want to go to sleep (perhaps log download, etc.). I've started the logger to collect information about when it's awake vs. asleep, I'll report anything I find here.

i would assume that if the in-car display is on, then the car is awake from an API perspective. However, the car could be awake from an API perspective without the display being on.

i would assume that if the in-car display is on, then the car is awake from an API perspective. However, the car could be awake from an API perspective without the display being on.

Correct.

Another sleep data point. Tonight I returned from the store:

8 Jan 20:37:07 - getting charge state Aux data
8 Jan 20:37:32 - Info: 30 minute nap starts now
8 Jan 20:38:32 - Poll return HTTP OK and body is this: (2-minute long poll end)
8 Jan 20:48:33 - Vehicle state is: asleep

So 12 minutes since last stream request, 11 minutes past last REST data collection.