Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016's getting pushed back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else's 2016 order getting pushed back? My original delivery date was January. Then it switched to Late January/February. Then it switched to February/Early March and now it says Late February/March.

I'm about one phone call away from cancelling the order and requesting deposit refund.

Anyone else's 2016 order getting pushed back? My original delivery date was January. Then it switched to Late January/February. Then it switched to February/Early March and now it says Late February/March.

I'm about one phone call away from cancelling the order and requesting deposit refund.

There are 5 listed on Hank's site, all inventory. Why wait?

I placed my order a week ago (12/31) and just confirmed this evening. Up until my confirmation time it was saying "late February", but just after I confirmed, it switched to "March/Early April" I assume it's not really, but feels like a bait and switch...
On the other hand, I got my VIN less than an hour after confirming. Is that usual, and does it mean anything about the status of the order?

Who is Hank?

A question I can answer! See http://ev-cpo.com/ - a great site for finding inventory and used (CPO) Tesla's. But, for my purposes of ordering a 70D with only certain options, I haven't been able to find a competitively priced inventory model compared to configuring it new (i.e. in order to get the options I want, there are generally options I don't want, and the price is higher)...

- - - Updated - - -

Could this possibly mean that they are changing something or adding features? Seems that they got the 2015's out, and obviously are trying to work through the Model X backlog, but maybe they are holding off on Model S's to make an update that they'll announce later? One can only hope that the wait is worth something!

I ordered mine Dec. 22, confirmed immediately and since then have had a Late Feb/March estimate.

I ordered mine Oct 30. So if March is correct, I will wait 5 months. :cursing:

As for the CPO web site, used cars with thousands of miles on them are the same price or higher than my fully loaded 2016 90D on order. Seems pretty silly.

Last edited:
Anyone else's 2016 order getting pushed back? My original delivery date was January. Then it switched to Late January/February. Then it switched to February/Early March and now it says Late February/March.I'm about one phone call away from cancelling the order and requesting deposit refund.
As for the CPO web site, used cars with thousands of miles on them are the same price or higher than my fully loaded 2016 90D on order. Seems pretty silly.

Trust me on this .... Hang in there ... it will be worth the wait for your 90D! :cool:
I would think that Tesla would prioritize the 90D over other orders - talk with your DS.

A question I can answer! See http://ev-cpo.com/ - a great site for finding inventory and used (CPO) Tesla's. But, for my purposes of ordering a 70D with only certain options, I haven't been able to find a competitively priced inventory model compared to configuring it new (i.e. in order to get the options I want, there are generally options I don't want, and the price is higher)...

- - - Updated - - -

Could this possibly mean that they are changing something or adding features? Seems that they got the 2015's out, and obviously are trying to work through the Model X backlog, but maybe they are holding off on Model S's to make an update that they'll announce later? One can only hope that the wait is worth something!

I have a strong inclination they are making some minor updates...

I placed my order on Jan 5 & immediately confirmed the order rather than wait until it's automatically confirmed. It was "Late February" delivery but no updates or VIN since 3 days ago. I hope it does not push back too far since I already sold my 911; I may order a Rear Console so I have something to play with...:crying:

The CPO website also list NEW cars that are in inventory (=already built) and the price would/should be the same than new. The trick is to have the model / color and options you want.

As for the delivery date it may still change (and improve); it used to be when I got mine in March 2014 that orders for the US that are made at the end of a quarter are positioned to be produced and delivered at the end of the following quarter. As Tesla reports quarterly sales, a way to maximize them out of a single factory in California was to build cars for the rest of the world early in a quarter (so they have time to ship, reassemble and deliver them by the end of the same quarter), and then they would favor domestic and still deliver them on time. Nowadays even if they produce way more cars the same principle may be at play as shipping and delivery time abroad is still a lengthy operation. Besides, they may also want to push for as many X as possible.

But there is still hope it may come sooner than the current estimate. I ordered mine end of November 2013 (confirmed early December) and I wasn't happy to have to wait as much as people that ordered theirs in mid Jan 2014, but I've long forgotten this: it's been an amazing journey since then.

Cheers

My vehicle is currently in production, and is taking (not really surprsingly) longer than they had been taking prior to the holidays. 16 days now... and unless other people aren't updating the spreadsheet, similar start date is taking longer. I hope this means some new gravy is being included :) (Though I won't be disappointed if not... anxious!)

My vehicle is currently in production, and is taking (not really surprsingly) longer than they had been taking prior to the holidays. 16 days now... and unless other people aren't updating the spreadsheet, similar start date is taking longer. I hope this means some new gravy is being included :) (Though I won't be disappointed if not... anxious!)

With the X sharing part of the line with the S you may inherit self-presenting doors or Bio-defense mode filter, who knows? :tongue:

I was just told this by my Tesla sales rep: "your car is scheduled to be leaving our factory in the second week of February, and that your “place in line” in production has not changed at all since your initial order. Nothing has changed about the timing of your cars production or shipment, just the way our website calculates timeframes for new orders."

And, for reference, I placed my order 12/31 and it was confirmed yesterday. So he's saying it will be much sooner than the latest estimate given by the website - hope he's right (unless it would cause us to miss any updates to the car!)

Looking at the Google order spreadsheet and other chatter here, etc. seems like they are working through the backlog of overseas orders now, thus pushing US orders back. End of 2015 was all US deliveries with order to delivery in like 20 days to make sales projections.

Of course, there's also the ramp up of Model X...