Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incentive for Model X Owners to Show Off their Vehicles Locally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mikevbf

Feb 11, 2012
vermont
It would be nice to have a way to acknowledge Model X owners who show off their vehicle locally while we wait for demos and show room models to appear. I know Tesla Motors does not need to increase demand for the Model X right now, but maybe here on TMC we could keep a score/leaders board of sorts for Model X orders placed due to seeing someones Model X? At the very least generous Model X owners have a way to track their impact while at the same time having well earned bragging rights. And who knows, maybe Tesla Motors will reward these ambassadors in other ways since they do read this message board.

No way am I letting the general public into my Model X. Let them visit a Tesla Store to inflict scuffs, scrapes, dents and other damage to that vehicle and in that way give feedback to Tesla Motors to consider a new option for buyers to choose.

Here's a portion of what I wrote someone just yesterday on the subject of letting everyone in our owner's group climb into my Model X:

"Running into issues of damage to Model X when people enter and exit through the Falcon Wing Doors. I have hit my head hard when the doors stop at different locations and I am not paying attention.

When Tesla does their repairs and has it right I can show it off. Letting people enter the back area will require blue booties, it’s that bad.

Tesla failed by not building a ruggedized version of Model X. Hopefully that will be on the options list in the future."

The problem is simple, the plastic surfaces are not like Model S. My detailer said it best, "It's a show car."

Now don't get me wrong, the surfaces are durable*. But either protect or ignore the scuff marks as they occur.

*(Except maybe that rounded chrome trim on the seat bend edge, one of mine is disconnected and it doesn't snap into place.)

Last edited:
The problem is simple, the plastic surfaces are not like Model S. My detailer said it best, "It's a show car."

Now don't get me wrong, the surfaces are durable. But either protect or ignore the scuff marks as they occur.

You make an intriguing point, could you please elaborate further on the quality of surfaces, durability etc. from your (and your detailer's) observations.Thanks!

Now don't get me wrong, the surfaces are durable*. But either protect or ignore the scuff marks as they occur.

*(Except maybe that rounded chrome trim on the seat bend edge, one of mine is disconnected and it doesn't snap into place.)

Is it really that bad? :eek: Considering how the Model X is geared towards being a people carrier, you would think those areas would wear better.

You make an intriguing point, could you please elaborate further on the quality of surfaces, durability etc. from your (and your detailer's) observations. Thanks!
Let's take the plastic seat backs. The surfaces are hard and strong. But they are of Piano Black sheen. Dusting and dusting will occur often. I had two small scratches that are white on the back of the rear seat headrest at delivery. Is there something hidden that I am not aware of? The detailer will know more when I get the vehicle back from his extensive paint correction, clear bra wrap (no FWD for now) and some interior tests of protective materials.

We will be testing some matte protective film inside. The sill and X step plate are of greatest concern. Since I don't have passengers on a daily basis, I see no need for clear bra wrap on the seat backs, but it was the first suggestion by the detailer to restore them to new like condition in the future.

When scratches and scuffs exist at delivery, and additional ones appeared with just a few people entering and exiting, that was enough to warn me. It reminds me of the arm rest wear on Model S. I protect that with Glad® Press‘n Seal®, and it works great. But I don't feel like putting protection on the wheel wells of Model X for the occasional hiking boot that would hit it. I just won't let the visitors into the back without removing their shoes. Problem solved.

January, 2013: I had my car for just over a month and a half. Liz G and I put our cars in the St. Louis Auto Show, a 4-day event that saw us utterly MOBBED by the public wanting to see the Model S. They were put up on a 2 foot stage for people to see. We had *just* gotten our rear-facing seat installed, which was a big big hit. For the average person, just seeing the car and talking to us was fine, but I let roughly 100 people sit in the car during the course of the event. My rules were basically "no food/drink, no coats, nothing in your pockets, be very careful, it's privately-owned" - and I personally supervised each one. I only had one situation where someone tried to climb on stage, then got indignant when I asked him not to, he left after I started to call security.

Was I nervous? Yes. At that time, there was no service center nearby, if anything happened it had to go to Chicago! I felt it was important for those truly interested to be able to see the car, and I believed Tesla would be reasonably kind in helping to deal with anything had it gone wrong.

I would tell new owners "don't be afraid". I certainly understand if you want to keep everything absolutely pristine and not have anyone touch it, and that's your prerogative. I consider my vehicle to be a utility, and so I figure careful adults aren't going to beat it up more than my kids are. :) Liz was a bit more cautious, she had only had her car for a week!

The calm before the storm:
stlautoshow20134.jpg

...and there's just something fun about getting to drive your car in an NFL stadium. :)

If Tesla gets our Model X to us in time, it'll be seen in St. Louis Jan 28-31 this year.

PS: want to see something scary? Here's Liz's car being loaded onto the stage:
Tesla Model S St Louis Auto Show 2013 - YouTube

Last edited:
Many of the interior surfaces of the Model S damage fairly easily as well. Particularly the seat backs -- the matte black textured substance nicks very easliy (really soft), and is extremely thin, leaving the white foam substance underneath exposed. I wouldn't be surprised if the hard plastic seat backs are more durable than the black material on the back of the Model S seats.

EDIT: I have shown my car to 1000's of people, at half a dozen different EV events, and it held up extremely well. No damage to interior (most people are pretty respectful and don't go jumping around and gouge and scratch the interior.)

...I would tell new owners "don't be afraid". I certainly understand if you want to keep everything absolutely pristine and not have anyone touch it, and that's your prerogative. I consider my vehicle to be a utility, and so I figure careful adults aren't going to beat it up more than my kids are...
And there's the difference, I don't have kids, pets or others who ride in my vehicles on a daily basis. All the damage is from my use, so I can monitor it carefully. Remember, I am spending the extra thousands to correct the paint flaws when the vehicle is new, so I am in the 1% category.

But Model X is different than Model S. Other than those leather arm rest corners that get damaged by people getting in and out, the sills look great. They are of a material that resists the scrapes of normal use. The painted metal FWD sill and decorative X plate are a completely different animal in Model X. The wheel wells are an artistic masterpiece and can get visible scrapes more easily than the door sill of Model S. That is the difference. Add in the shiny plastic throughout the rear cabin at floor level and you have a recipe for visual change over time. The detailers will love it and so will those who appreciate the artistic quality and wish it to remain as art instead of function. But all the surfaces are protectable so you can have the best of both worlds. That is one of the goals for the detailer and for the driver who wants the enjoyment for others who ride.

Last edited:
Many of the interior surfaces of the Model S damage fairly easily as well. Particularly the seat backs -- the matte black textured substance nicks very easliy (really soft), and is extremely thin, leaving the white foam substance underneath exposed. I wouldn't be surprised if the hard plastic seat backs are more durable than the black material on the back of the Model S seats.

EDIT: I have shown my car to 1000's of people, at half a dozen different EV events, and it held up extremely well. No damage to interior (most people are pretty respectful and don't go jumping around and gouge and scratch the interior.)

that was my thought regarding the 'white scratches'

I had my S at 3 earth days now and many people just assumed I worked for Tesla and the car was a company car.... nothing bad ever happened, no scratches or any wear after many people running around the car but a bit worrisome.

what issue with arm rests on the S? I don't think I have ever heard of this problem :confused:
ah, yes corners, not arm rests

Last edited:
...what issue with arm rests on the S? I don't think I have ever heard of this problem :confused:
It's the extra trim behind the arm rest that extends the arm rest. When the doors open, it sticks out and gets wear and tear. This may have been addressed in later versions, but the 2013 vehicles definitely had the problem.

Model X solves the problem in an uncomfortable way for the front seats. They have tapered the back of the arm rest so your elbow doesn't come in full contact anymore. It solves the trim wear issue, but I sure miss the elbow rest that was adequately sized. The solution is to grab the door grip and feel the sumptuousness of the décor trim! That positions the arm to enjoy the new arm rest for a little while.

It's the extra trim behind the arm rest that extends the arm rest. When the doors open, it sticks out and gets wear and tear. This may have been addressed in later versions, but the 2013 vehicles definitely had the problem.

I haven't had that problem, but I did experience the worn B-pillar leather, which was replaced in later models with a plastic piece (maybe that's what you're talking about?)

To each his own, I appreciate how you want to take care of your vehicle. I feel for you, in advance, when you see that first ding appear - I had a convertible years ago that received its first ding and I fretted over it for quite a while.

I do take great care with mine, but I also don't mind extending that to others who look like they can appropriately manage themselves.

I haven't had that problem, but I did experience the worn B-pillar leather, which was replaced in later models with a plastic piece (maybe that's what you're talking about?)

To each his own, I appreciate how you want to take care of your vehicle. I feel for you, in advance, when you see that first ding appear - I had a convertible years ago that received its first ding and I fretted over it for quite a while.

I do take great care with mine, but I also don't mind extending that to others who look like they can appropriately manage themselves.
That is the same problem, the B pillar. I call it the arm rest extension since it is that leather that gets worn.

I have driven many in Model S, but when dealing with damage at the Model X delivery, that set off the concern. I now have to deal with Tesla Motors making it look right and that requires that I keep it looking good so they don't ignore the dent in the FWD sill and a broken and missing trim piece. Meanwhile it allows time to test the protective films and see if they will look great on the vehicle so everyone can relax and enjoy it. It's either that or waiting for the ruggedized version that some third party company will invent as a modification to Model X.

Thanks for the details Mark. I am considering the X as a family car (first kid on the way). I am intolerant when it comes to car-cleanliness, no food, no mess permissible in the car - and I sincerely plan to pass on the discipline to the kiddo (well, as much as possible).
Currently, on my 5 year old BMW 5'er, the tan interior has held up really well (its actually amazingly resilient!) but looks like I am in for a rough ride with the X+a kid :crying:. Maybe I am a minority here to say Tesla fit and finish (lets say leather seams, panel gaps, quality and feel of interiors) is years behind BMW, Audi etc. I only say this for the price of the car is way up there to desire a stellar level of quality and finish.

Thanks for the details Mark. I am considering the X as a family car (first kid on the way). I am intolerant when it comes to car-cleanliness, no food, no mess permissible in the car - and I sincerely plan to pass on the discipline to the kiddo (well, as much as possible).

Sorry, but I just had a chuckle at this. First time parents always think they're going to be different from everyone else and control of the mess. Ha ha hahaha!! I mean no disrespect, but just remember this moment when you finally realize who's really in charge after the baby comes! Good luck!

I have 4 sons. I say "good luck" and wish you the best. :)

Sorry, but I just had a chuckle at this. First time parents always think they're going to be different from everyone else and control of the mess. Ha ha hahaha!! I mean no disrespect, but just remember this moment when you finally realize who's really in charge after the baby comes! Good luck!

ditto that! the first time your kid pukes up cheese all over the car ...hopefully you can laugh thinking back on your comment. To be fair, to your best to instill whatever values you choose, but the major limiting factors are age and comprehension!

peronally bought a new stereo after my kids stuffed enough change into the cd changer to mess things up (wanted to upgrade anyhow?:cool:)

On another note, it makes zero sense to me that the seats/doors were partially inspired from car seats, and then put shiny black plastic on the back of the cahris. those little feet, grow rapidly to toddler feet and with it comes kicking/resting/scraping of the back of the front seats, intentionally and unintentionally. It would of been much better to have them leather wrapped.

then there is always this...

Amazon.com: Kick Mats by Freddie and Sebbie - Luxury Car Seat Back Protectors 2 Pack, Perfect Backseat Organizer and Seat Covers For Car, SUV, Auto and Child Safety Seat Accessories: Baby

P1070868-300x225-300x200.jpg

No way am I letting the general public into my Model X. Let them visit a Tesla Store to inflict scuffs, scrapes, dents and other damage to that vehicle and in that way give feedback to Tesla Motors to consider a new option for buyers to choose.

Here's a portion of what I wrote someone just yesterday on the subject of letting everyone in our owner's group climb into my Model X:

"Running into issues of damage to Model X when people enter and exit through the Falcon Wing Doors. I have hit my head hard when the doors stop at different locations and I am not paying attention.

When Tesla does their repairs and has it right I can show it off. Letting people enter the back area will require blue booties, it’s that bad.

Tesla failed by not building a ruggedized version of Model X. Hopefully that will be on the options list in the future."

Does it seem like a clear bra wrap will protect the seat backs? I have triplets who are 12 and they bang stuff up, for sure. Seems a great solution

I have 4 sons. I say "good luck" and wish you the best. :)

Missing an attribution, but:

"When my kid vomits in the middle of the night, I do more work in one hour than I did in the entire decade of my 20s."

Can't. Stop. Laughing.

All so true. ssq, you have the best of intentions, but those little ones carry stuff into your car in their digestive system. You're doomed. Accept it. You will not win this battle and you must accept this now. You will soon learn the definition of 'projectile vomiting' and worse. And you'll still love them.

Does it seem like a clear bra wrap will protect the seat backs? I have triplets who are 12 and they bang stuff up, for sure. Seems a great solution
The detailer wanted to put it on the seat backs right away. It is a good solution after you decide to keep the shiny look or change to matte protection. But after reading the above projectile comments, maybe the existing surface will work really well for that.

May I suggest air sick bags to help with Ludicrous Mode aftermath?