Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New York Roadster Road Rally! Sunday, September 18, Meet 9 am at West Point, NY!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla 012 (1).jpg
Tesla mini ralley Sleepy-West Point Aug 11 006.jpg

Tesla Roadster Rally!
West Point to Sleepy Hollow Country Club, Sunday Sept 18th--
Interested? Send me an email to [email protected]!
We did a mini-rally August 7th and got some great ideas!

Tesla mini ralley Sleepy-West Point Aug 11 007.jpg
Tesla mini ralley Sleepy-West Point Aug 11 006.jpg
Tesla mini ralley Sleepy-West Point Aug 11 016.jpg

Ian, Bob & I did a mini-rally getting ready for Sept 18 West Point to Scarborough Tesla Rally!

Closed highways, terrible weather, no problem! Lots of enthusiastic tourists VERY interested in our Roadsters! (and the weather, though overcast, never rained)

1. Meeting in the rain at 9 am Sunday with 70% chance of T-storms... didn't look promising :(
2. Looking sharp at the West Point Visitor Center! Yes, that's a tank! Caused chaos-- busloads of Chinese tourists, ignoring the museum, taking photos of our Roadsters!
Ran out of handouts almost immediately!
3. Trophy point.... started taking pictures of people taking pictures of our cars!

Join us Sunday Sept 18th!

1. We'd love to have a Canadian representative! There is a nice hotel to stay at called the Thayer, right on the West Point Campus.

2. Here is a note from [email protected] re: charging stations:
( Daniel Myggen)

I don’t know whether we plan to offer charging location information directly on our website, there are several other groups working in this space and we’d rather just share our information for all to use. One of the better phone apps is Recargo, and Coulomb is starting to have pretty good coverage on the app and their website:

mychargepoint.net

Note that most of these would require our J1772 connector, as the Roadster’s plug interface predates the development of this connector. You can find more information on the Tesla to J1772 connector here:

J1772 Mobile Connector | Charging Solutions | Tesla Motors

Questions? You could ask Dan, or perhaps you have a Canadian rep with can help?

Hope this helps!

Can anyone suggest the best way to get from Vermont to West Point, in a Tesla, with charging somewhere?
We have a Vermonter who wants to participate!

My main issue is the need to charge to get home, somewhere closer to my home than New Haven. If I drove down on Saturday, I'd need to find a place to charge on the way down (Mapquest has me driving near Albany). If I start relatively fresh in the morning in West Point, it looks like rally is at least 75 miles, and then from Scarbourough back to Jericho, VT is another 325. So I would need 400 miles. That is 2 full charges in Range mode to give a buffer. So figure I need at least one full charge half way home or a couple partials. Mapquest says best way home from Scarbourough to Jericho is via Hartford and Springfield, MA. I don't know if there is a way to do this, but I am game to hear it.

All advice appreciated!

If he comes by my house I can offer 70A. I'm close to I-91 and 85 mi from him. From here it's 200 mi straight down I-91 to the Omni in New Haven where there's another 70A. If he drives 55 he can make that (I have). I know a Roadster owner in Putney VT with 70A - perfect for the trip from my house to New Haven but half the roads in Putney were wiped out over the weekend. And that particular owner is experiencing a difficult family health issue on top of everything else so he may not want visitors. Then again he might! I know him well enough I can ask if it comes to that. From New Haven I have no idea... Sounds like he might be able to do the whole trip on standard-mode charges at 70A.

Keep us posted on the VT delegation! Not likely I'll be able to go but things might change...

What we really need is another rally in VT around the first week in October. We have some spectacular scenery on breathtaking Roadster-perfect roads.
Well, actually, if those roads still exist after what happened Sunday. very sad.

Last edited:
...straight down I-91 to the Omni in New Haven where there's another 70A...

I was about to ask for a confirmation of this HPC installation but it has been tested by the look of things (in this thread over here):

The Omni hotel has a working Tesla connector HPC. Parking is free at the Omni for Tesla owners and so is the juice. Just be sure to be assertive with the garage attendants since they are pretty well brain dead form the exhaust fumes of the "other" cars. Or you can use my HPC in nearby Milford but my factory is in the middle of nowhere - at least at the Omni you can hang at one of our many fabulous New Haven restaurants, or take in a movie at the Criterion Cinema down the block.

That is so appealing that I might just take a drive up there myself. Google maps says it's 80 miles... Even factoring in my own navigational incompetence (yeah, I know, "there's special underwear for that...") I could make it there for a nice lunch. And if I can't find the hotel I could probably make it back home anyway.

VT trip

Henry,

Thanks for the offer. I am not sure this is going to work out, as the timing is a tight given another obligation that popped up for me on the 17th. I just don't see the option of a couple of charges plus time for the drive all the way to NY. If I was free all day Saturday, it would be more workable. But I love the idea of a VT rally with the leaves changing! What roads/course do you think would work? Somewhere in middle VT and central to everyone?

DJ

Henry,

Thanks for the offer. I am not sure this is going to work out, as the timing is a tight given another obligation that popped up for me on the 17th. I just don't see the option of a couple of charges plus time for the drive all the way to NY. If I was free all day Saturday, it would be more workable. But I love the idea of a VT rally with the leaves changing! What roads/course do you think would work? Somewhere in middle VT and central to everyone?

DJ
I would love to sponsor a VT rally during our peak foliage season! It seems like all of residents of CT, NY, NJ and MA are up here then anyway. One of my favorite Roadster trips is Rte 302 from Wells River to Rte 110 to South Royalton. But from there it's tough - Rte 14 is closed, Rte 132 is closed.

Another great route would be sections of Rte 100 and maybe over Brandon Gap and Middlebury Gap (Rte 125) or Rte 17 that goes by Mad River Glen. That part of the Green Mtn Forest is spectacular. It peaks in early October or sooner though. That's closer to you but farther from points south like Boston and CT/NY.

We need a nice place to meet up with charge ports, good food and things to do...