Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Exterior Dimensions Comparable to Audi A7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has publicly stated the Model S would be similar in size to the MBZ E class or the BMW 5 series. At the time the comments were made, the Audi A7 had not arrived on the scene and no comparison was possible. Like the Model S, the A7 is a 4 door hatchback design. However, seats 4 rather than 7.

I am posting the exterior dimensions of the A7 as they are very similar to Tesla's published dimensions. For those that are unable to see Tesla's prototype, I think viewing the Audi A7 in person should give you a good idea of the size and proportions of the Model S.

attachment.php

Yep. As far as I'm concerned, the A7 is the direct competition for the Model S. If my wife and I aren't wow'd by the S, then we'll most likely be picking up the Audi. We need the storage of a station wagon, but I want the styling and driving of a sport sedan.

Model S should be 188 inches long according to FAQ.

Per Tesla's FAQ:

Will Model S fit in my garage?

Model S has approximately the following dimensions:
Overall length 16’4" (4973 mm)
Overall height 4’8" (1426 mm)
Overall width with mirrors 7’2" (2189 mm)
Ground Clearance 4.46" (113 mm)

The math works out to be: 16' x 12" = 192" + 4" = 196" total length. How did you arrive at 188"?

Here is an overlayed photo of the the Audi A7 drawing next to the Death Valley photo (modified to remove color distraction) of the Tesla Model S Alpha. Hope this gives a better visual comparison of the two cars "side by side".

attachment.php

I knew they were close in styling, but they're even closer than I thought! You can tell how much lower the Model S is than the A7, due to the battery pack. Hope they put heavy duty skid plates to protect the battery.

Though this does show that the ground clearance of the Model S is pretty low compared to the A7. I must say I am very anxious to try and/or read tests of how the Model S handles actual Norwegian roads.

Cobos

I test drove an A7 yesterday. To sum it up, WOW!

I was trying out various convertibles and drove a couple different models in the BMW 3 series, the Lexus 350c and 250c, and finally the A5 convertible (the S5 was unavailable). I wasn't that impressed with the pickup in any of them. The A7, which I drove as an afterthought, was a different story. Mucho pickup! From the outside, the car looks BIG, and while it feels roomy inside, it didn't drive like a big car at all. The steering was extremely responsive and the suspension was perfect!

From a dead stop, the acceleration was amazing. It was only when accelerating while at speed that there were some serious lags as the automatic transmission had to downshift and figure out what it was going to do. This is where the Model S would shine. While the S might not quite meet the A7's 5.4 0-60, (although without a stopwatch, who would notice the 3-4 tenths difference), it will be fantastic to have that same initial acceleration all the time like the Roadster does.

We need a new word for the A7, Model S, Panamera style. How 'bout "Station Wagon Fastback"? :)