Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Jackson, Wy so I called sales to discuss wheels. They told me to not even consider the 22". The 20 comes with all-weather tires and they thought I would be pleased. so, I ordered the 20". ive not checked with Firestone yet to see if they have a Blizzak that will fit.

Knowing how long winter in Jackson can last (having grown up there), I think is likely a good choice as there will be more choices for proper winter tires for the 20" wheels.

Unless, as jaguar36 alludes to, you plan on getting a completely different set of winter wheels and tires. Then again, I don't know if I'd want the 22's even for the summer there as I also know what a beating the long harsh winters deal out to the roads. The 20's will ride smoother and handle pot hole hits with less damage.

Hoping to bring our X there this summer!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Along these same lines.... anyone know what (if any) chains would be considered ok on the Model X (20" wheels)? We already have a set of these Security Chain Company ZT735 chains that we got for my wife's Highlander hybrid, so I'm curious if something along those same lines would work just in case we wanted to take our X to Tahoe. (Although if the weather is bad enough to require chains on an AWD, perhaps we'd only take the Highlander anyway).

And answering my own question... turns out the ZT735's are also supposed to fit 275/45-R20 and 265/45-R20 size tires that are on the X so we may be fine already. Presumably you'd want to kick the suspension height all the way up and disable automatic lowering.

Last edited:
Along these same lines.... anyone know what (if any) chains would be considered ok on the Model X (20" wheels)?

The Trak website (the brand used by Tesla for Model S) says that the Trak 4x4 is the correct one for the Model X... so I expect they will be the official supplier. Unfortunately I'm guessing it will be out of stock on the Tesla Motors website for the relevant part of the year just as the chains for the Model S are. I'm tempted to import them for my X so I can legally go to Tahoe... but that is $400 for a risk. [I wouldn't actually use them... it is just the legality aspect]

It is sad that there appears to be no legal way to drive an X to Tahoe right now, even though I saw one on my last visit there.

The Trak website (the brand used by Tesla for Model S) says that the Trak 4x4 is the correct one for the Model X... so I expect they will be the official supplier. Unfortunately I'm guessing it will be out of stock on the Tesla Motors website for the relevant part of the year just as the chains for the Model S are. I'm tempted to import them for my X so I can legally go to Tahoe... but that is $400 for a risk. [I wouldn't actually use them... it is just the legality aspect]

It is sad that there appears to be no legal way to drive an X to Tahoe right now, even though I saw one on my last visit there.

I just signed up for this forum as I recently received my config email for my Model X and was wondering about snow, tires, and wheel size. I'm curious why you say that you can't legally drive to Tahoe? I live in Tahoe and I've never owned chains in 12 years. As long as your car is 4x4 or AWD and has tires rated for snow, you don't need chains. What am I missing? If I need chains for my Model X, I won't be buying one.

I love the look the 22" wheels, but after speaking with sales and reading some of the comments here, I think 20" is the way to go for snow.

Reactions: hiroshiy
What could prevent you from driving on CA Highways when chains or snow tires and 4WD are required is that you MUST carry chains in the vehicle (for R3) even when it's just R2. I have never had anyone ask to see my chains before and I used to carry a dummy set that would never fit on the car just in case. Since there is no REAL chains for the MX today, in theory you could not legally drive one in R2.

Right... One of those legal technicalities none knows about... You have probably been legally required to carry chains for the last 12 years but they rarely check so you got away with it. Similar to if you didn't happen to carry your proof of insurance with you.

20" is definitely the way to go for practicality, range, towing, snow etc etc oh and don't forget potholes :eek: but I've gotta say, esthetically, it's strange to see a car that makes 20" wheels look kind of small.

The Model X is nice & BIG.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Along these same lines.... anyone know what (if any) chains would be considered ok on the Model X (20" wheels)? We already have a set of these Security Chain Company ZT735 chains that we got for my wife's Highlander hybrid, so I'm curious if something along those same lines would work just in case we wanted to take our X to Tahoe. (Although if the weather is bad enough to require chains on an AWD, perhaps we'd only take the Highlander anyway).

And answering my own question... turns out the ZT735's are also supposed to fit 275/45-R20 and 265/45-R20 size tires that are on the X so we may be fine already. Presumably you'd want to kick the suspension height all the way up and disable automatic lowering.

Tesla Model X Snow Chain - Trak 4X4

Right... One of those legal technicalities none knows about... You have probably been legally required to carry chains for the last 12 years but they rarely check so you got away with it. Similar to if you didn't happen to carry your proof of insurance with you.

Ok, fair enough. 95% of the time, they just wave me through. The few times I've been asked if I have chains, I just tell them that I do. No one has ever asked to see them. I live on the Nevada side where we don't have such nanny state madness, but I obviously do a lot of driving in CA and there's no way I'm buying any vehicle that requires chains.

Any updates or vids in heavy snow? I'd love to see if the MX can compete with Subarus.

Here is my P85D from last winter on my difficult, Southern Colorado driveway. The MX has better ground clearance. I am sure that with good snow tires, it will be great. I am a big fan of the Nokian Hakka R2 snow tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hiroshiy