Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Upgrade Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious to see the popularity of the $4500 premium package: according to Modelxtracker.com, about 75% of production orders include this package. I was unable to justify the cost in my configuration, but clearly most people have the other view. Looking at the production configs that have gotten VINs, the fully loaded XP90Ds with the premium upgrades are probably going to be delivered first, so, selfishly, I hoped that it would be less popular. What does the community think about this package? Why did you order it? What components of the package add value? Are the automated doors a gimmick or a feature?

I am curious to see the popularity of the $4500 premium package: according to Modelxtracker.com, about 75% of production orders include this package. I was unable to justify the cost in my configuration, but clearly most people have the other view. Looking at the production configs that have gotten VINs, the fully loaded XP90Ds with the premium upgrades are probably going to be delivered first, so, selfishly, I hoped that it would be less popular. What does the community think about this package? Why did you order it? What components of the package add value? Are the automated doors a gimmick or a feature?
I have read about what is in this package over and over and still do not see the value. Probably will order it anyway.

I mainly got it because I like how the perforated seats look and like having ventilated seats during summer. Had I not ordered it I probably would have selected the textile seats, but I wanted the white seats for contrast and as long as I'm already upgrading the seats I might as well go all the way.

The secondary reason was an uncertainty how certain features would work without the package. It's unclear whether the front doors would be motorized without the package or what the front end would look like without the turning and fog lights. Waiting for these questions to be answered would allow many people to jump ahead.

I mainly got it because I like how the perforated seats look and like having ventilated seats during summer. Had I not ordered it I probably would have selected the textile seats, but I wanted the white seats for contrast and as long as I'm already upgrading the seats I might as well go all the way.

The secondary reason was an uncertainty how certain features would work without the package. It's unclear whether the front doors would be motorized without the package or what the front end would look like without the turning and fog lights. Waiting for these questions to be answered would allow many people to jump ahead.

I have never driven anything with ventilated seats, but on these forums many people have raved about them. Maybe I don't know what I am missing?

Good point about not knowing the character of the front door closure without the package. Although the auto opening feature is not yet enabled, Sig owners seem to like the auto closure and continuous stop points when open.

I have never driven anything with ventilated seats, but on these forums many people have raved about them. Maybe I don't know what I am missing?

Good point about not knowing the character of the front door closure without the package. Although the auto opening feature is not yet enabled, Sig owners seem to like the auto closure and continuous stop points when open.

I tend to run hot (though I do appreciate my heated seats when it is cold) and LOVED a co-worker's BMW with ventilated seats blowing the AC on my back + backside. That alone was enough to get me to spring for the premium package. The automated doors and HEPA filter features were icing.

Peter+

I got the premium package mainly for the ventilated seats. Then turning LED lights and the LED fog lights. Moreover, the deeper I got into pricing the car, and for how long I see myself having the X (probably 8 years), I thought it justified having the package. I want to be happy EVERY single time I get in the car and drive, so that's why I got the premium package (and audio package).

I as others probably did, thought about it many times before ultimately selecting it. I wasn't compelled by any one feature all that much, but there was so many unrelated items in the package that I sort of wanted that I ultimately chose it.

If the Bioweapon was taken out of the package I think the numbers would go down

I prefer to have the LED side lights, the auto-presenting doors, as well as the Hepa Filter. However, it also includes upgraded interior in the doors and internal lighting. For the price of the Model X, I would like the interior to be better than the Model S and equivalent to a Audi or Mercedes. All of the reviews say that is the case. The 75% number in the ModelXtracker is skewed since the majority of current orders are Signatures where the Premium interior was "included". Same with the P90D's, the price point makes the Premium interior less of a percentage of the total price.

Like other options, it is something each individual will have to determine.

I prefer to have the LED side lights, the auto-presenting doors, as well as the Hepa Filter. However, it also includes upgraded interior in the doors and internal lighting. For the price of the Model X, I would like the interior to be better than the Model S and equivalent to a Audi or Mercedes. All of the reviews say that is the case. The 75% number in the ModelXtracker is skewed since the majority of current orders are Signatures where the Premium interior was "included". Same with the P90D's, the price point makes the Premium interior less of a percentage of the total price.

Like other options, it is something each individual will have to determine.

You can filter out the Sig orders in the modelxtracker.com database. The 75% quoted above is for Production orders.

An early report about Bioweapon Defense mode suggests that it may have loud fan noise. If so, even proponents of the concept may not use it as much as they expect.

I am not sure about the door thing. I can foresee it being helpful if your hands are full when approaching the car, but the jury is out that the benefits will outweigh annoying inappropriate openings.

The ventilated seats sound promising.

I just wish TM had told us that the Premium package would lead to earlier delivery, and that it was $2k less expensive. I might as well wish to be 10 years younger or dating Kate Upton while I am at it...

Actually, I am happily married, but the points stand.

I agree with a lot of the above opinions - nice features but overpriced. But as many others did, I said "what the hell" and ordered it anyway.:smile: Another factor is that it seems to push up your place in the Vin # assignment. There is significant anecdotal evidence that those who ordered the Premium Package got earlier Vin#'s (myself included). It's been suggested that the reason is that this option involves significant production differences, and since all of the Sig's had it they decided to build the Production X's with the option first, in addition to the higher profit margin.

This X option is a lot like the early days of the S with the Tech Package option: it contains a grab bag of generally compelling items that most people think should be included with the base vehicle configuration -- because after all even the base config is really pricey -- but most people (including me) end up ordering the option because we want that stuff!

I really just want it for the ventilated seats (I am in AZ) and didn't care too much about the rest but then what difference does it make on $100k+? I know that is a slippery slope :)
The self opening and closing front doors are actually pretty cool. Not touching metal handles in the summer is a good thing.

I could be mistaken, but I think we ordered it for a) the automatic opening front door, and b) the Alcantara material headliner. I think the car just has a regular fabric headliner without the premium package, and the Alcantara seemed much nicer. I will also dealing with a toddler and a newborn when we (hopefully) get our car, so any doors that automatically open seemed really helpful to me.

Add one more to this list. Definitely doesn't provide anywhere near the value for which it's priced. And we'll definitely get it.
What he said. And Merrill. It's expensive and full of things we may not ever need, but also kinda want. So I ordered it. I mainly got it for the bioweapon defense mode/uber-air filter. Like an extended warranty on an expensive appliance, I hope to never need that mode, but just having it will make me feel better. It was a bonus to hear Bonnie talk about the cornering LED lights which rotate to lead the way (didn't even realize it had those) and I also like the LED fog lights, particularly after having just driven in several straight hours of heavy fog on the way down south for Christmas - stressful! And after feeling the Alcantara in some Model Ses, I also preferred that to the cloth headliner.

In NY, we probably won't need the ventilated seats for much of the year, but I am looking forward to experiencing that anyway. And, in hindsight, I'm kinda glad I completely loaded up my 90D (other than the "P" option) as I think it might make it a little more likely I'll get it earlier than if I had gotten a completely stripped down version. Not because my car is more expensive than a base model, but because they've already got the full interior design fleshed out with all of these options (extra fans, compressors, speakers, etc.). But this was not a factor in our options selection. Once I "saved" 20K by not going "P" (or $30K for "L"), I felt like I could load it up with all the other options without feeling guilty. Or poor.

I got the premium package as well because I am going to drive this car for at least 5 years and figured get all the options that makes sense for me. The package is probably priced a little high but in most luxury cars these days the packages are overpriced. Also a lot of the small upgrades adds up to an overall enjoyable experience and being stuck in Los Angeles traffic everyday for me every little thing helps.