Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deposits refundable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So let's say I want to see a CPO car. There aren't any pictures. I'd have to put down a $1000 deposit so they can "transfer" it (30 miles away). Then once they have my $1000 deposit, they will arrange me to see the car, as is. Let's say I don't like the condition, and its stuff they won't fix like scratched/worn seats. They keep my $1000? i.e. I have to buy another Tesla? That sucks because what if that is the only one that meets my price/color/package combination. They should just give you the $1000 deposit back.

Not sure where your getting your info from. I just got my s85d 3 months ago.

I originally put a deposit on a CPO. It was an 85 and after driving it felt slow compared to the D. That deposit was easily transferred to an inventory car by the showroom staff.

It's clearly listed on the forms that you sign and I went through this today. Once you place your order and the car is in transit the money is Tesla's. I did the same thing that you did, placed an order for a P85+ and backed out today because I found a D, was told the $1K was non-transferable to any car period.

- - - Updated - - -

So let's say I want to see a CPO car. There aren't any pictures. I'd have to put down a $1000 deposit so they can "transfer" it (30 miles away). Then once they have my $1000 deposit, they will arrange me to see the car, as is. Let's say I don't like the condition, and its stuff they won't fix like scratched/worn seats. They keep my $1000? i.e. I have to buy another Tesla? That sucks because what if that is the only one that meets my price/color/package combination. They should just give you the $1000 deposit back.

Exactly, it happens all the time. I backed out and was told that my dep was non-refundable. I am at peace with it but it would have been nice if I could have put it towards another car but nope. Tesla would not even let me sit in the car once it was here, I could only stand by it and look inside while they held the door open (keep in mind this was my 6th Tesla in 3 years), ****** customer service. Nonetheless it was MY choice to back out.

If you push hard enough you can get your deposit back. I almost did on mine before we found a different model. But you need to have direct contact with sales managers at showrooms. The regular sales guys are not sympathetic and really have no power. On mine we dealt with the sales manager for the Buena Park showroom. She was awesome and helped us out.

But we also made sure we looked for CPO cars we could drive to and inspect. When dealing with CPO and inventory cars I had a really hard with signing on a car without inspecting it first. So I made sure I could drive to look at the car before it could be moved.

It's clearly listed on the forms that you sign and I went through this today. Once you place your order and the car is in transit the money is Tesla's. I did the same thing that you did, placed an order for a P85+ and backed out today because I found a D, was told the $1K was non-transferable to any car period.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly, it happens all the time. I backed out and was told that my dep was non-refundable. I am at peace with it but it would have been nice if I could have put it towards another car but nope. Tesla would not even let me sit in the car once it was here, I could only stand by it and look inside while they held the door open (keep in mind this was my 6th Tesla in 3 years), ****** customer service. Nonetheless it was MY choice to back out.

What? So pretty much once you put down the $1000 deposit, you have to buy that car otherwise you lose your deposit? You can't even transfer it to another CPO or a new car? That's kind of insane.

What? So pretty much once you put down the $1000 deposit, you have to buy that car otherwise you lose your deposit? You can't even transfer it to another CPO or a new car? That's kind of insane.

I would highly suggest you talk to your sales person before you place your dep but yes you are correct. I was told that for "insurance" reason you cannot drive the car until you pay for it. if you live 30 miles from where the car is then just go there and tell them you are not going to put your dep down until you see the car. You are lucky you are close, most CPO cars are in other states from people buying them.

- - - Updated - - -

If you push hard enough you can get your deposit back.
In my situation I dont feel like I should push, it was my choice to back out....I knew the policy when I put the dep down. If Tesla wanted to transfer or refund the $1K they would, they clearly dont so that's that.

Douglas what state are you located in?

In California we are a little spoiled because there is so much CPO inventory. Buena Park showroom for example always has multiple CPO cars ready for delivery same day and can be test driven without a deposit.

The ones that I looked at happen to be demo's or loaners so a test drive was easy.

Ok I can understand why the no option for refund or transfer. At that point money has to be spent to move the car to a local delivery or service center for your inspection.

In my situation no time or money was spent by tesla so transferring or getting a full refund was possible.

Taken from Tesla CPO purchase agreement:

Cancellation; Default: Upon placing your order, we work quickly to prepare and deliver the Vehicle to you. We incur significant costs in reserving the Vehicle for you,coordinating the sale, shipment and delivery of the Vehicle and also incur significant costs for remarketing and reselling the Vehicle if you cancel or default in thisAgreement. As a result, your Order Payment is non-refundable. You acknowledge that the Order Payment amount is a fair and reasonable estimate of the actualdamages that we have incurred or may incur, costs that are otherwise impracticable or extremely difficult to determine. We will credit your Order Payment towardthe final purchase price of the Vehicle. You acknowledge that this Order Payment and this Agreement are not made or entered into in anticipation of or pending anyconditional sale contract.

You may transfer your Order Payment to a different vehicle order within 72 hours of a cancellation or default in this Agreement. Please contact our Sales team totransfer your Order Payment to another order. After 72 hours of cancellation or default in this Agreement, your Order Payment will become non-refundable

It sounds like Tesla is trying to discourage those that reserve cars just to get something before it's gone.

When I first was trying to find a CPO or Inventory car I went to the showroom and worked with the sales guys. We would run an internal search ( shows more cars than the website) and create a short list of cars to compare. We would maybe spend 15-20 minutes creating that list. I would make a decision on a car only to find that someone else had put a deposit on the car and it was no longer available. This happened time and time again.

At that time any showroom could reserve a car from any region in the US. As we were searching over the course of 2 weekends, Tesla handed down a policy that showrooms could only reserve cars within their region (i.e. So Cal could only reserve cars within that area) because they had too many problems with buyers not happy with colors and options once they saw them in person.

The best option is if you can go take a look at the different models and know what you want. Be patient and get pictures and if you can go inspect it before putting a deposit or before it gets moved.