Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$1900 Nema 14-50 installation in a Condo, expensive or fair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I just got quoted about $1900 for a 220 ft cable run in my condo garage for a 60amp circuit and a 14-50 outlet. My HOA was ok with the insllation and just required me to install a meter to charge me for the electricity. Install will require pulling a cable from the pool equipment panel, attaching it to the roof and through one wall..

From what I've been reading the price seems about right, but I wanted to hear from others what their quotes were in a situation similar to mine... Also any suggestions would be appreciated! :)

thanks!

I paid about $1800 to connect an HPWC with 50 Amp service in a condo - the run was about 75 feet and I also had to install a meter. In my opinion it was pricier than it should have been, but I had to use an electrician of the condos choosing. I was glad to have been allowed to install charging at all, but did feel like I was getting the special Tesla owner price.

That price is a steal. Consider yourself lucky you can do it at all . . .
All of us in SoFl Condos would probably agree. I paid more than twice that and only got 208/30. I also had to go through a third party to meet Condo HOA rules, so there is an electricity markup as well as a monthly fee. As auger said, that price is a steal. With such a deal maybe you want a HPWC rather than a generic connection. I admit I like having a Tesla connector at home (mine is a Tesla conectar but NOT a HPWC.

For that distance you may want wire size of 60 Amp circuit (probably 6awg), but as TexasEV says, the breaker should be 50 Amp for a 14-50 receptacle.

That's what the electrician told me. With his distance there would be losses if he went with 50.

- - - Updated - - -

All of us in SoFl Condos would probably agree. I paid more than twice that and only got 208/30. I also had to go through a third party to meet Condo HOA rules, so there is an electricity markup as well as a monthly fee. As auger said, that price is a steal. With such a deal maybe you want a HPWC rather than a generic connection. I admit I like having a Tesla connector at home (mine is a Tesla conectar but NOT a HPWC.

You are right. I asked him what the price difference would be for a 100amp install instead. I don't have the dual chargers nor the HPWC yet, but like to keep the option open in the future. :)

Meeting the electricians tomorrow at the condo we just purchased. Parking spot is in the corner so whatever I install will be under roof but exposed to the wind and rain. If only a 50 amp breaker and 40 amp service is available (may be limits on wire gauge that can be put in existing conduit) should I use a HPWC or Nema 14-50 with mobile connector?

Meeting the electricians tomorrow at the condo we just purchased. Parking spot is in the corner so whatever I install will be under roof but exposed to the wind and rain. If only a 50 amp breaker and 40 amp service is available (may be limits on wire gauge that can be put in existing conduit) should I use a HPWC or Nema 14-50 with mobile connector?
Hi Roland,
In a public place subjected to the elements a hard-wired HPWC would be safer with less liability issues. Imagine a child unplugging the outlet end of a Mobile Connector and jamming a metal object into a live 240 volt outlet..
Larry

That's probably true. I was just pointing out there are solutions to locking the plug into the NEMA outlet if someone was worried about tampering.

I do like the flexibility the NEMA 14-50 gives you--easy to change or exchange EVSEs in the future if the need arises.

Hi Roland,
In a public place subjected to the elements a hard-wired HPWC would be safer with less liability issues. Imagine a child unplugging the outlet end of a Mobile Connector and jamming a metal object into a live 240 volt outlet..
Larry

Most houses have external receptacles that are live, and except in the U.S. they are usually 220V. This hasn't been a big problem. Anyway, if you keep the UMC outside, it really should be in a weatherproof box with only the cable sticking out.

You might be required to put an additional means of disconnect, like this within line of sight, since you are defeating the regular means of disconnect (the plug). The locks are supposed to remain open when in use if no other means of disconnect are within line of sight. The locks on boxes are mostly meant to protect people servicing the circuits. This prevents someone from being electrocuted because someone else energized the circuit. More info here.