Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

high pitched whine from front motor 85 d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine does it as well, under light load from 20mph to the upper 40's. Range mode on. Service center implied that the engineers are aware of it and it will be addressed with a software update.

New 85D also and I have a whine/whistle noise under light acceleration around the 20-40 mark also. Had the SC take a look and they must not of heard it as they stated they only heard normal electric motor noises, which is not what I'm hearing. No range mode on

Same issue with our 70D. Its been into the SC 3 times. Each time after the test drive they have said its not normal and the DU needs replacing. 3 times we have waited weeks for the new DU to arrive but wait, once they have the car for the replacement, the noise somehow becomes "normal for a worn in DU". Quote from the last SC paperwork. The noise is not normal to us and we will continue to press for a fix for the noise.

Are we talking about the milling noise here, or what I believe is the standard motor whine from an 85D? I have driven two 85D's (one being my own) and a P85D loaner and each one sounded identical. The motor puts out a subtle high(er) pitch "whiiirrrrrrr" as you accelerate. Is that what you're referring to, or something entirely different?

Does not sound like the OP is referring to the "milling" noise. My experience has been like @bancroftc described. Some high pitched noise is typical from the front motor when accelerating. How loud is "normal" and acceptable varies from person to person.
Are we talking about the milling noise here, or what I believe is the standard motor whine from an 85D? I have driven two 85D's (one being my own) and a P85D loaner and each one sounded identical. The motor puts out a subtle high(er) pitch "whiiirrrrrrr" as you accelerate. Is that what you're referring to, or something entirely different?

Ours has always had a fairly quiet high pitched whine right around 30-40 mph under light load. I can turn it on and off with very slight changes in the accelerator or speeding up or slowing down. It seems more pronounced in colder weather as well. Overall its a bit annoying and I wish it didn't have it, but unless it gets worse I'm sort of OK with it.

Its normal for a dual motor Tesla...

every one I have driven has this same sound. I can't imagine a large electric motor being 100% silent, you could insulate the heck out of it I guess.

I can just hear mine when the radio is on, so I'm in the camp of "it is what it is". I didn't buy my Tesla expecting a perfectly silent car. The tire noise seems louder to me, but again something I knew would happen with the larger wheels.

I'll worry when the noise goes away!

I have two whines!

One is clearly a mechanical gear related whine as you can hear it shunting slightly on light throttle - this was not present on the car at new and has increased since.
The other is an "electronic whistle" that does not change much in frequency. I guess this is the one that Tesla are saying they can refine in software.

My question is (with the SC 75 miles away) how bad does the mechanical whine have to get before it is considered for replacement?

A little cheese with that whine?

Cheese-Deli14.jpg

Seriously though, are we talking about the electric whirr under acceleration or the high pitched and barely audible, tinnitus-esqe noise?

Seriously though, are we talking about the electric whirr under acceleration or the high pitched and barely audible, tinnitus-esqe noise?
I think part of the problem is not everyone can hear the same high frequencies. What is "barely audible" for some is very noticeable to others.

I have an iPhone app call Dog Whistler, and I can make my kids wince in pain when I set it to 16k Hz, and I literally cannot hear anything sound at all. I tested it yesterday for fun and my hearing stops around 13k, my wife's around 12k and her parents stop around 6k.