Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO: budget for either AP or P85 - what would you chose?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I'm actually on the lookout for a CPO car. Now, my wife (aka CFO@us LLC) will only agree to a budget of $60k max. I'd like to have both - performance & AP. Obviously, that is currently impossible to fit into that budget. So my dilemma is: P85 (performance, but no AP), or a "slow" 70D/S60 with AP. Opinions? What will - in the long run - keep me smiling more?

Cheers,
Rog

AP for sure - the tech is too cool. A 60/70 is still pretty fast, and will still give you a big grin at launch.

Keep in mind that Tesla supposedly updates little things on the car every week/month. The older P85 is going to have some differences. Minor things I can think of (depending on date produced) include the silver around the screen change, the mirrors in the sun visor will only be on the newer car, the actual sun visor will be larger on the newer car, the older car may not have folding mirrors, the older car will have older seats, and the newer car may have LTE rather than 3g service. There are probably a bunch more I don't even know about.

Obviously the 70D will also have dual motors/AWD - which has several benefits.

I've had a P85/+ for a loaner a couple times without AP (one was a founders edition). I'd take my S60 with AP over the P85 with no AP any day.

I don't have autopilot on my car, I did test drive one that did and it was pretty cool!
But honestly I just don't see myself using it much beyond showing it off to friends/family.

I would enjoy the torque more than autopilot so my vote is for the P85!

I have not driven car with AP, so I am no expert, but most of my driving is in heavy traffic so I like to have full control of the car. I am also in the group that "there is no substitute for horsepower." I really enjoy the torque of the P85. Lastly, you should think about range. You will get a bit more out of the 85 vs the 70.

As stated above, I'd vote for more range and power of the P85 as its a driver's car for sure....AP 2.0 will probably be around the corner, so wait for the next refresh for them to perfect that (I believe that's one of Elon's top priorities now).....or so at least that's what I'm telling myself!

70D over all else for a budget mind. You want DWD in CT due to winter. Unless you hot-dog it a lot, the P option is more about impressing your friends a few times a year than of any utility. D corning + low speed pop of DWD out of a corner + more range than an S60 makes the 70D the better value. Drive one - I hope you are not doing this all over the internet.

I'd pick a P
Over AP .. - Especially without traffic

(D not sure if I like it any better than my P over 30 mph + it pushes into turns
...thanks to brianman I drove a p85d yesterday!)

the P has probably taken a bigger $ hit than the 70D
also it isn't being made anymore good/bad?

Last edited:
This is a great question. I just pulled the trigger on a P85 CPO for just a hair above your $60k mark.
I didn't even consider a 70 with AP, but that was just based on personal preferences.
Either way you can't go wrong, it depends on how you drive.

This answer really depends on a lot of things. One comes up is how long you plan to keep the car? If it's greater than 5 or 10 years, then it might be better to get the 70D if you can find one in that price. I feel like the AP really shines when you get bored of the car and driving. A tesla is fun to drive, but in a few years, there will be plenty of other newer and better alternatives compared to the current 70D that it will make it look ancient. AP will keep things fresh. For me, I find myself wanting to drive less the longer I own the car. In the beginning, I would never think of letting something drive for me. Especially when I just paid $60K+ for the driving experience!

My take is 70D for long term tesla ownership. Otherwise, get the P85 and upgrade when newer tesla or better competition comes out.
I would skip the S60 regardless if it has AP or not. You will be stopping to recharge too often to really make use of it.

I have not driven car with AP, so I am no expert, but most of my driving is in heavy traffic so I like to have full control of the car. I am also in the group that "there is no substitute for horsepower." I really enjoy the torque of the P85. Lastly, you should think about range. You will get a bit more out of the 85 vs the 70.

You drive in heavy traffic and don't want AP functionality??? That has to be a first... AP functionality is the perfect fit for heavy traffic...

Jeff