Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold weather regen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When very cold that line will be at zero.
In one of Tesla's rather boneheaded moves, when VERY cold, the dashed line will not appear, but regen will be completely disabled. It appears that the dash line only appears when regen is limited, but not fully disabled. And I'll also say that the difference between those 2 levels is mind boggling, even the tiniest amount of regen feels a lot different then when there's none at all!

In one of Tesla's rather boneheaded moves, when VERY cold, the dashed line will not appear, but regen will be completely disabled. It appears that the dash line only appears when regen is limited, but not fully disabled. And I'll also say that the difference between those 2 levels is mind boggling, even the tiniest amount of regen feels a lot different then when there's none at all!

I think when it's at that stage, you will see a snowflake icon next to the battery, which will let you know that they are very cold, and regen will not be on. I also think you get a notification in the screen saying as much.

I think when it's at that stage, you will see a snowflake icon next to the battery, which will let you know that they are very cold, and regen will not be on. I also think you get a notification in the screen saying as much.
There is a notification, but it's a once only thing that goes away quite quickly, I didn't notice a snowflake, I think that's only in the old 6.2 interface? Really I think they should also show the yellow dashed line extending all the way from zero. It's about a consistent UI.

I still get the dashed line when fully disabled.

It appears that the no regen UI is even worse than I thought, not only does it not show the line when fully disabled (if you see the line, you have SOME regen, even if only an unnoticeably small amount) it's also inconsistent.

I did 2 trips with no regen today, first trip the warning popped up that regen was disabled and stayed there for the whole time that regen was disabled, no other indication, but that message stayed at the bottom of the screen. Second trip gave no indication of any form, no warning, no dashed line, nothing, just no regen, once the car warmed up enough for regen the dashed line appeared.

I agree the change Tesla made with how they are displaying (and at times not displaying) the regen limit in Version 7.0 is severely lacking.

The regen limit has a direct impact on how we drive the car. If regen is limited, there should be a visual indication of this fact, preferably also providing us the ability to at least estimate the approximate amount of the regen limit, AT ALL TIMES. Tesla had this right in firmware versions before 7.0. But now in 7.0 in addition to the flakiness and inconsistency that green1 has reported, even when the system works as designed, and notifies the driver of a regen limit when the car starts, unless we keep the power meter on the screen, we do not see any indication that regen is limited while driving. And we do not see if and when the limit goes away. I do generally keep the power meter on the screen, but not everyone does. And for me, if the phone is in use, that temporarily takes the power meter's instrument cluster spot. If used in the other spot, the power meter's spot would be taken by the Nav directions. So even if we are making an effort to see the regen limit as best we can, there are times we are not able to.

Information as important as this, that impacts when we let off the accelerator, and when we need to step on the brake pedal needs to be displayed all the time. It's really as simple as that.

I agree the change Tesla made with how they are displaying (and at times not displaying) the regen limit in Version 7.0 is severely lacking.

The regen limit has a direct impact on how we drive the car. If regen is limited, there should be a visual indication of this fact, preferably also providing us the ability to at least estimate the approximate amount of the regen limit, AT ALL TIMES. Tesla had this right in firmware versions before 7.0. But now in 7.0 in addition to the flakiness and inconsistency that green1 has reported, even when the system works as designed, and notifies the driver of a regen limit when the car starts, unless we keep the power meter on the screen, we do not see any indication that regen is limited while driving. And we do not see if and when the limit goes away. I do generally keep the power meter on the screen, but not everyone does. And for me, if the phone is in use, that temporarily takes the power meter's instrument cluster spot. If used in the other spot, the power meter's spot would be taken by the Nav directions. So even if we are making an effort to see the regen limit as best we can, there are times we are not able to.

Information as important as this, that impacts when we let off the accelerator, and when we need to step on the brake pedal needs to be displayed all the time. It's really as simple as that.

Really didn't mean for this to turn into what it has. It's pretty obvious when regen isn't working as soon as you lift your foot. Heck, you probably know before you even get in the car.

If regen is limited/nonexistent when cold, okay, whatever. If the display of that fact has issues, they can be dealt with. What really disturbs me is I take my foot off the pedal and the car doesn't slow down. For a couple of months now (before it got cold outside) the car always began to slow when I took my foot off the pedal. The behavior shouldn't change like that. The car should slow just as it does at every other time, even if they can't reclaim the energy. I realize that would waste a bit of energy, and because of that maybe they'd want to make a setting for this, but to me it seems much more important that the driving behavior remain consistent.

While mine shows up as an orange line on the power meter, even if it didn't it is immediately obvious when I lift off the accelerator.

Then your regen is only limited, not fully disabled.

He doesn't have the same UX as we do with AP.
We have to remember the non-AP cars still have the full power meter, so his experience may be different.
Versioning pleasures!!!

Really didn't mean for this to turn into what it has. It's pretty obvious when regen isn't working as soon as you lift your foot. Heck, you probably know before you even get in the car.

That's not the point.

I like to be able to know when to lift my foot so I don't have to use the brake, or have to use it very little. If I'm expecting regen and don't get it, I'm going to have to brake. If I get less than I expected, I'm going to have to brake, but I very possibly could have lifted my foot earlier, and avoided that. When it comes back unexpectedly and without any visual indication that it is back, the problem is reversed.

The regen limit, when in place, should be visible to the person operating the car. Period.

If regen is limited/nonexistent when cold, okay, whatever. If the display of that fact has issues, they can be dealt with. What really disturbs me is I take my foot off the pedal and the car doesn't slow down. For a couple of months now (before it got cold outside) the car always began to slow when I took my foot off the pedal. The behavior shouldn't change like that. The car should slow just as it does at every other time, even if they can't reclaim the energy. I realize that would waste a bit of energy, and because of that maybe they'd want to make a setting for this, but to me it seems much more important that the driving behavior remain consistent.
I agree, I actually think they should have an option where it mimics regen using the brakes (optional!) to keep a consistent experience, but failing that, I want to be notified so that I at least know what to expect!

keeping the power meter on the dash is my default setting. I know how much regen is available, and lift the accel pedal accordingly.

Unless you receive or place a phone call (if you keep it on the right side) or have the navigator active with pop-up directions (if you keep it on the left side) in which case you don't know how much regen is available. And even when you do "know" since Tesla made the gauge much more difficult to read, it's much more of a guess than it used to be.