Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awesome easy improvement with trunk lighting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the premium lighting package with the three lights in the trunk. Even so it has seemed that the light has always seemed dim and hard to see things in the trunk at night. I just wanted to give a shout out to the awesome interior LED upgrade from Abstract Ocean (AO). I have no connection with them, but I just am extremely satisfied and amazed at the difference. My 14 year old son did the switch out of all three in the back and one in the frunk in about 10 minutes. They were simply pull the old on out, unplug, plug the new one in. They look identical to the factory Tesla one, and per AO's description are supposed to be 16 times brighter. I believe it, what a difference! The trunk (and frunk) are now extremely well light using the oem plugs and existing holes.

I installed these in the frunk and two in the rear. Very easy and work great. I put one in the rear hatch but didn't like it as is shined in my face when loading/unloading, removed it. I put it in the foot well of the passenger side but did not notice much difference. Might try it next in the puddle lights.
Fantastic product.

After my great satisfaction with the frunk and trunk lights, I got 5 more. I replaced the front 2 under door (puddle?) lights and cut out the recessed areas in the rear and mounted two there. Really cool to have the brighter lights, especially the rear two that I didn't have lights before. All relatively easy. Have two more left for the rear underseats. My Tesla did not come with the premium lighting package.

Send them to AO for re-commissioning ... perhaps they can reuse the lenses?

Ha! No thanks. As it is, I've taken over 3 rooms of the house and one attic, my wife would be really displeased if I take another room for recycling :) We originally did look at ways to upgrade the OEM lights, but they're a real pain to crack open, so it wouldn't have been an attractive option for most customers.

- - - Updated - - -

Send them to AO for re-commissioning ... perhaps they can reuse the lenses?

There was before Xmas...if you've bought from AO before, you've probably got enough points for a discount. I can check for you if you PM me your email address.

After my great satisfaction with the frunk and trunk lights, I got 5 more. I replaced the front 2 under door (puddle?) lights and cut out the recessed areas in the rear and mounted two there. Really cool to have the brighter lights, especially the rear two that I didn't have lights before. All relatively easy. Have two more left for the rear underseats. My Tesla did not come with the premium lighting package.

This is awesome, I've ordered the 3-pack set (12 bulbs + 1 for glove box) for mine. My 85D does not have the premium lighting package either -- the rear door puddle lights were my concern. I was wondering if it would be as simple as cutting out the recessed areas on the bottom of the rear doors and finding the lighting cable -- looks like you did it and it worked well.

Can you elaborate a bit on any issues you ran into? What did you use to cut out the recessed area? How far up inside the door was the lighting cable, and was it taped or otherwise secured inside? Did you need to remove any door trim?

Can you elaborate a bit on any issues you ran into? What did you use to cut out the recessed area? How far up inside the door was the lighting cable, and was it taped or otherwise secured inside? Did you need to remove any door trim?
This thread has most of the helpful info, including this quote:
There are several posts upthread where people described how to do this. The wires for the puddle light are attached to other wires inside the door (wrapped by tape, if it's like say the trunk lights or rear footwell lights). You need to detach the puddle light cable from the other wires and fish it down to the opening where the light fits in. I don't think it's possible to do all of that through the bottom hole (or through the hole where the red warning light is). So all of the recipes I've seen posted for adding the rear puddle lights involve opening up the rear door panel to some extent. It sounds pretty straight-forward, but the opening up the door part was beyond my comfort level.