Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X windshield sun glare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vitold

Aug 10, 2015
NM
I think this may be, for the moment, best video on sun glare and front windshield:

One poster wrote that shade can be rotated up. If that's the case than glare shown in the video would probably be non-issue and design quite elegant and sufficient.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad when people post an informational video and have no clue how the thing they are explaining works.

After a lifetime of driving cars where there was no reason or way to flip the shade up instead of down I suppose his brain could not comprehend simply flipping the shade up. Sometimes you have to think outside the box.

On delivery day I drove 400 miles, across the flat desert, going directly West into the afternoon and then setting sun. The shade worked perfectly. I flipped it full up and as the sun dropped lower flipped it down. I dislike wearing sunglasses when I drive and had no problem with sun glare the entire run.

Last edited:
I almost found out. With 60 miles on our car a truck flipped up a rock that scored a direct hit on the windshield. We were going 75 mph when the rock bounced over the glass. No visable damage.

You could say we lucked out and....dodged the rock..damage.
Great escape. Even the insurance guys would be struggling to find out the cost as its one of a kind and brand new.100% insurance for windscreen would be a smart idea i.e without deductibles.

One poster wrote that shade can be rotated up. If that's the case than glare shown in the video would probably be non-issue and design quite elegant and sufficient.
I am surprised that whoever made that video did not think of attempting to flip the visor up and then extend it. Problem solved.

With the visor flipped up I doubt that sun would be an issue for 2nd row passengers. In fact I doubt it would be an issue regardless of where the visor is positioned. But I'm sure we will be seeing comments from X owners soon about that issue.
The X visor is quite versatile, and very effective.

I'm surprised to some negative sentiment towards whomever have taken their time to make that video (but did not know apparently everything). I think his youtube channel has some of the better videos currently available.

That's my video. To those who are stating you can just flip them up, you do realize that it won't cover the whole pano glass? Can your brains not comprehend that the pano area is greater than the sunshade fully extended? The vid was simply showing the amount of sunlight that comes through the tinted part of the glass.

That's my video. To those who are stating you can just flip them up, you do realize that it won't cover the whole pano glass? Can your brains not comprehend that the pano area is greater than the sunshade fully extended? The vid was simply showing the amount of sunlight that comes through the tinted part of the glass.

Appreciate the video! Looking forward on seeing Tesla and 3rd parties on developing a sunshade.

Thanks for posting all your videos and commentary. Shade is to block sun from blinding you. Upper portion while technically still a windshield is, functionally (if it's designed right), more like a sunroof where tint is normally enough by itself.