Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Brake Pads

Blog Entries
    I've actually discussed brake pad replacement with Tesla service, because one of my rear pads has a little chunk missing.

He told me that they always replace the pads and the rotors. That's because the rotors and pads conform to each other, and it's always something of a wedge - not vertical - because of how the pads engage. So when you change the pads initially only a part of the pad would be in contact. Probably what would happen is poor contact and the pad would wear very quickly at first. This would be true for any brake pad, of course.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

I'd disagree with replacing the rotor with every pad replacement. If the rotor is deeply grooved or chatters when braking I'd have it resurfaced but not replaced. It only needs to be replaced if its been resurfaced so much that its out of spec and will eventually fail due to lack of metal thickness on the braking surface or if the rotor is warped from heat.

In all my brake jobs I've done I've never had to change out my rotors nor resurface them. I didn't have chatters or bad grooves worn in, I've had minor grooves and chose not to resurface. Mostly when rotors are resurfaced is due to them being glazed from being overworked. If I was racing all the time I'd resurface it to get that extra bite when braking hard to coming up tight through to the corners... I'll have to closely inspect the Roadster's rotors when I pull them for the pad change but most likely I won't touch them either.
    Last edited by wiztecy; 08-17-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wiztecy View Post
    In all my brake jobs I've done I've never had to change out my rotors nor resurface them.
    I totally agree. Only once did I HAVE to change the rotors - then again it was probably the fourth pad replacement and the car had 300+K miles. For general driving even if the rotors are slightly grooved, the pads will wear into the groves.

IMHO - replacing rotors and even resurfacing is a combination of CYA and increased revenue on the part of auto repair operations.

Blog Entries
    I know changing the rotors seems like overkill - I'm just reporting what Tesla Service said! There's nothing wrong with my rotors.

In the end I simply decided not to replace the pad, because it wasn't enough missing surface area to matter. Also it was a rear pad; I would have been more concerned about the front.

If I go to Carbotech pads then I'll just swap them, bed them in, and see how things work.

Doug, do you know the root cause of the chunk missing from the pad? Just a possible defect? You're up in Canada, possibly water got underneath the pad and the metal it mounts to, froze and then fractured off a chunk of material and eventually over time. Would be a pretty good size chunk down to the metal, not a chip. Who knows really but just a guess. I've seen small chunks missing on pads, typically on the edges caused from just bad material as well as being old and overworked.
    Last edited by wiztecy; 08-17-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Tesla thought that it had happened due to a very fast thermal cycle. Given that I sometimes take it to autocross and occasionally to the track it is a plausible explanation.

It looks like some companies offer "pre-bedding" for the carbotechs:
    2008-2005 Lotus Elise Carbotech AX6 Front Brake Pads

Anyone care to comment on this? Thanks!
    Pre bedding is unnecessary and throwing money away. All pads have to be bedded in with the specific rotor they will be in operation on. The bedding process does two things, it conforms the shape of the pad to the rotor, especially important if the rotor is old and pad is new. It is also the process of the new pad removing the old pad material important if switching compounds and it also coats the rotor surface with the new pad compound.

Rotors do not need to be replaced when changing pads and rarely resurfaced, normal cars almost never wear out their rotors. I have only worn out rotors when tracking a car, street driving just doesn't wear that much off the rotor or cause grooving or warping.

Can anyone confirm that the 2005-2008 Lotus Elise brake pads will crossover to the Tesla Roadster?

Quote Originally Posted by frequencydip View Post
    Pre bedding is unnecessary and throwing money away. All pads have to be bedded in with the specific rotor they will be in operation on. The bedding process does two things, it conforms the shape of the pad to the rotor, especially important if the rotor is old and pad is new. It is also the process of the new pad removing the old pad material important if switching compounds and it also coats the rotor surface with the new pad compound.
    +1 Was just about to post the same info and decided to read to the end of the thread
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

Can anyone confirm that the 2005-2008 Lotus Elise brake pads will crossover to the Tesla Roadster?
    Yes, you are looking for pads that fit the Elise 05-08 for the Tesla Roadster.

Thread Information