Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Graph going crazy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
On my recent road trip from Minneapolis to Los Angeles I notices a very odd behavior on my trip meter and energy graph. The graph jumped to different random patterns. It was also not updating in regular intervals but randomly. For some reason the energy graph got messed up.
At the same time I noticed a strange display of the tips. I drove from one SuC to the next and never stopped, never got out of the car. So the most recent trip and the trip called 'since last charge' should be identical. For the most part they are, but several times on my trip, they started out the same, but then got out of sync. One showed a different distance and energy usage. But even more so, they updated at different intervals and the difference in distance varied from 0.1 miles to 5 miles! Sometimes it even showed almost the exact same distance but the energy usage was 20-30% different. That made absolutely no sense as I was just on one continuous drive.

Here is a video of the energy app showing random things. I tried rebooting both screen, but it didn't help. Has anyone else seen this? What could that be? This went one for many hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I presume a bug report was submitted when it happened, if not it is a good idea to submit one the next time it happens. Otherwise it might not be easy to catch and fix, as I presume some specific trigger causes it to happen.

I saw the same thing.

Check around 20 seconds here:

Also note that "since last charge" distance doesn't change from 103.3 miles for the entire time of the video, despite me traveling at 75 mph. I found that it would "stick" for several miles, then only "jump" to make up a portion of the miles (but wouldn't catch *all* the miles).

I submitted a bug on this and they asked me if it reoccurred after upgrading. It has not since then.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this bug last weekend on 7.0 (2.9.68) and 7.1 (2.9.154). It happens with the consumption graph set to any distance, but it's more noticeable on the 10km (5mi) graph. What is happening is that the consumption curve randomly shifts to the left or right by up to 9km about every 3-10 seconds, rather than smoothly moving to the left as you drive. Find a distinctive pattern in the curve and you will see that it has moved left or right after each jump. This is a bit harder to track on the 10km (5mi) graph because the pattern you're looking for might have shifted off the left or right edge of the graph, but it's pretty clear on the longer-distance graphs.

On the trip graph, the predicted arrival battery level bounces up and down a bit too, presumably as a result of the same bug.

I'm so glad the search found this thread. My car has been doing this off and on too. I first noticed it about 10 days ago or so.
One time it was doing this, the "current trip" meter got stuck at 1.0 mile, when it should have stayed in sync with "since last charge" which progressed normally.
I was afraid something may be wrong with my console, but now I think I can chalk it up to software.
Unfortunately, I forgot about the "bug report" command; so I'll be sure to use it next time I notice it.

I reported this bug to Tesla a few days ago and referred them to this thread. They said they would forward my email to the appropriate people, so Tesla is are aware of the problem.

One other point is that I've only noticed this happening at highway speeds, or shortly after coming off the highway. I don't think it happens in slower city driving, but then I may just not have been paying as much attention to the consumption graph in the city.

I've noticed some very odd mileage and Wh/mi readouts on my dash recently, with mileage numbers jumping up seemingly randomly and energy use numbers that diverge beyond explanation. If I fully charge, unplug, and start driving immediately, the "Since XX:XX AM" and "Since Last Charge" readouts should be identical (or at least close to it), no?

Here are some readouts from this morning, driving at roughly 70 MPH:

9:01 AM, Odometer 54,428:
Since 8:27 AM: 41.2 mi, 34 min, 302 Wh/mi
Since Last Charge: 35.4 mi, 9.7 kWh, 273 Wh/mi

9:02 AM, Odometer 54,430:
Since 8:27 AM: 41.2 mi, 35 min, 302 Wh/mi
Since Last Charge: 41.9 mi, 11.4 kWh, 273 Wh/mi

9:06 AM, Odometer 54,433:
Since 8:27 AM: 41.3 mi, 38 min, 302 Wh/mi
Since Last Charge: 41.9 mi, 11.4 kWh, 273 Wh/mi

9:09 AM, Odometer 54,438:
Since 8:27 AM: 45.9 mi, 42 min, 304 Wh/mi
Since Last Charge: 50.1 mi, 13.8 kWh, 276 Wh/mi

- Why is the "Since 8:27 AM" Wh/mi reading about 10% higher than "Since Last Charge"? My last charge was at 8:27 AM, so shouldn't they be the same? Which is more accurate?
- The odometer seems to be going up normally, so why aren't the distances provided on the dash going up at the same rate? I'd understand if there was just a lag in that the distance updated only once every X seconds, but sometimes the distance goes up 0.1 miles, other times it jumps up several miles in an instant. Sometimes the "Since Last Charge" is way ahead, other times its way behind. What is going on here?

I love the car (54,000 miles and going strong on a software-limited 40 kWh), but this just seems...weird...and makes me question other values displayed (e.g. range remaining).

This is that problem I noted upthread. The odometer still works correctly, as does the rated range. But the "trips" app seems to get "stuck", then misses some data in "since last charge".

I reported it to Tesla pre-7.0, and they asked me to see if it occurred again. Unfortunately, it only seems to happen on longer road trips for me.

You should report this information along with date & time if you can.

This bug appears to be fixed in 2.12.45. I drove for about 15 minutes at highway speeds with the 10km Consumption graph showing and I never saw it jump around. It would be great if a few other people who have seen this bug and who have recently got a new firmware update could test it out and let us what they see.

I've noticed some very odd mileage and Wh/mi readouts on my dash recently, with mileage numbers jumping up seemingly randomly and energy use numbers that diverge beyond explanation. If I fully charge, unplug, and start driving immediately, the "Since XX:XX AM" and "Since Last Charge" readouts should be identical (or at least close to it), no?

- Why is the "Since 8:27 AM" Wh/mi reading about 10% higher than "Since Last Charge"? My last charge was at 8:27 AM, so shouldn't they be the same? Which is more accurate?

That is a more detailed report on something I also have seen and reported in a different thread.
Sometimes, but not always, the mileage shown in my "since Last Charge" display differs from what i calculate using the odometer.

Glad it has been reported.

I will see this odd behavior every so often, but *not* to the extreme it displayed as I left the Green River, Utah SC last year. Displayed 2800 Wh or some such, which threw Nav/Trip Planner into a fit that in the end cost me an hour and a half (retracing and charging to a higher and ultimately unnecessary level) at the end of a very long day of driving. Tesla confirmed it was a bug and a couple of patches later, that level of freakout has not recurred.

Updated last Friday, 2.12.45 and I've not experienced the problem over the past 4 days. Trip odometers have not frozen as before and I've not seen the energy graph going crazy.

I had been seeing this daily, sometimes to an extreme. Hope this really has been fixed.

I installed the outlet today, and I will look forward to testing it next time I charge. Bjorn Nyland has a short video that says it was corrected (although the specific error he reported was not exactly when I had noticed, but likely both are aspects of the same error).