Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VA safety inspection fun

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JST

May 23, 2013
Car makes the gas station had in its Virginia State Police database (among others):

Studebaker
Packard
Lam Borghini (sic)
Zundapp (?!)*

Car makes the gas station did NOT have in its Virginia State Police database:

Tesla

Which is how I ended up with a receipt for a 2013 Studebaker.

Seriously, how many Zundapps are inspected in VA each year?

*you may recall the Zundapp Janus as the basis for Dr. Zundapp, the villain in Cars 2.

Looks like you should ask them to pick the Zündapp Janus when you take your Model X for VA safety inspection... the similarity is canny!
wallpapers_zundapp_janus_1957_2.jpg

Ok, that's funny all around. :-D

I went to a Midas in Arlington for my last inspection. Took me longer to pay than it took to inspect because the guy behind the counter couldn't find Tesla in his database. He knew enough about it though to say that when he saw me pull in, he hoped I was only here for an inspection because he didn't know how to fix them. And the inspector knew too - he jokingly asked if I wanted an emissions inspection when I handed him the fob.

My invoice for the Tesla inspection showed a 2004 Mazda 6 wagon -- my previous car, which I had taken there once for an oil change.

Where does Tesla do the initial inspection in VA? Is it at the Audi dealership next door?

Tesla has a VA DMV license. I would assume they can do it themselves now. If they couldn't, there is no way in @#$# the Audi dealer would want anything to do with it.

Edit: see below, I was apparently very, very wrong.

Last edited:
According to this FAQ, the rules are slightly different for new cars:

Virginia State Police - Safety Division

"New vehicles purchased in Virginia that have been inspected in accordance with an inspection requirement of the manufacturer or distributor are not required to undergo the initial annual safety inspection. Placement of an inspection sticker on the windshield of a vehicle will be at the automobile dealer’s option. Such inspection by the automobile dealer shall be deemed to be the first inspection for meeting the purpose of § 46.2-1158 Code of Virginia."

That explains why I've often had dealer service departments farm out inspection work to local service stations when I've asked for an annual inspection at a service visit.

EDIT: Note, also, that the rules are ONLY different for new cars sold in VA. New cars sold in MD or DC still have to have a safety inspection; they can't just have a sticker affixed based on the fact that they are new.

There's an interesting question about whether that violates the interstate commerce clause. I hate VA's car related laws so much that I just might litigate it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hoang51
I asked the Tysons Corner SC about performing VA vehicle safety inspections. They don't do them...instead, they farm that work over to the Mercedes dealer. The reason is this: VA law governs EVERYTHING about vehicle safety inspections --- the price, no appointments (e.g. the inspection station MUST accept drive-ins), etc. And the most important rule: an official inspection station MUST perform inspections on ANY vehicle that arrives and asks for one. The inspection station can NOT restrict which vehicles it will or will not inspect. Can you imagine a guy in his old beat up ICE arriving at a Tesla SC and asking for an inspection of his vehicle? (Hey dude, can you check my flux capacitor for me? I think it is next to the fuel pump..........) And can you imagine the Tesla technicians having to breathe in the ICE fumes from that car? LOL.......

I just had my car in to Tysons for the annual service. The safety inspection was due and I asked if they do it. They said NO but they could have it done and just tack the amount due to my service charge. I said sure and when they called me to say the service was done the only thing I owed for was the $16 for the safety inspection. Saved me a trip.

By the way, has anyone that recently applied for or renewed a car registration noticed that there is now a three year option? One less thing to worry about.

I just had my car in to Tysons for the annual service. The safety inspection was due and I asked if they do it. They said NO but they could have it done and just tack the amount due to my service charge. I said sure and when they called me to say the service was done the only thing I owed for was the $16 for the safety inspection. Saved me a trip.

By the way, has anyone that recently applied for or renewed a car registration noticed that there is now a three year option? One less thing to worry about.

Yep, I renewed my tags in 2014 and they're good until 2017. Of course I had to pay the EV tax times 3 upfront.

Yep, I renewed my tags in 2014 and they're good until 2017. Of course I had to pay the EV tax times 3 upfront.

EV tax? You mean personal property tax, right? Doesn't it go down as the car depreciates - if so, will they give you money back if you drive more than they expect and the car depreciates faster?
Crazy state, I mean, commonwealth :)

EV tax? You mean personal property tax, right? Doesn't it go down as the car depreciates - if so, will they give you money back if you drive more than they expect and the car depreciates faster?

No, I think he's referring to the extra registration fee you have to pay for EVs. I think it's $100/year. Ostensibly this covers the gas tax we don't pay.

Don't get me started on how screwed up the car tax valuations are when it comes to Teslas.

I keep telling myself, at least I don't have to pay MD income tax...

No, there's a separate registration fee for EVs in addition to the standard registration fee for any other car, allegedly to make up for the gas tax you're not paying. That's on top of the personal property tax. $64 per year. We save a bit on emissions inspections though.
Crazy? Dunno. EV-unfriendly? Quite.

Edited to add:
http://www.ncsl.org/research/energy/state-electric-vehicle-incentives-state-chart.aspx (scroll down to Virginia)
Now I'm not so sure. This link above says it's a $50/year EV license tax PLUS a $64/year EV registration tax.
The info on the DMV's web site isn't consistent with itself, mentioning both $64 and $100:
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Last edited:
EV-unfriendly? Quite.

I dunno. If the intent is for all folks using the roads as a resource pay to support such, then seems fair enough. As a matter of fact, I'm (relatively) happy to pay a modest tax just for the sake of removing the argument that EV owners are an entitled bunch, what with all our "free primo parking spaces" and such...

Now, if the subject of what gas/road tax as a whole is actually (ab)used for, that's a whole 'nuther subject, and one for which I might have some strong opinions on...