Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is my battery capacity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tonight I loaded to 100% in my 90D and this morning I had 418 km typical (can this be right)?

Today I have given some demo's and drove really hard so my display says that since my last charge I have user 274 wh/km.
The car reports now 9% battery left with 39 km typical. I drove 245 km and display says I have used 67.2 kwh.

67,2/91*100=73,85 kwh.

Where is my 90 kwh battery capacity?

Strange enough I have the follow detail readout wia the VisibleTesla App:
Battery: 70kWh
Color: Pearl White
Roof: Unknown
Wheels: Silver 19"
Seats: Unknown
Decor: Carbon Fiber
Extended Nappa Leather Time: true
Air Suspension: true
Tech Upgrades: [
Tech Package: true
Power Liftgate: true
Premium Lighting: true
HomeLink: true
Navigation: true
]
Audio: [
Upgraded: false
Sat Radio: false
]
Charging: [
Supercharger: true
Twin Chargers: false
HPWC: false
]
Options: [
Parcel Shelf: true
Paint Armor: false
Third Row Seating: false
]
Newer Options: [
Parking Sensors: false
Lighting Package: true
Security Package: true
Fog Lamps: true
Cold Weather Package: true
]
]

This week I had already several times that a 270 km day was ending in watching out to get home. So I have the feeling to have only an actual range of 275 to 300 km.

Is here anyone with a reasonable explanation?

there is the fact that if you are pulling out power at a faster rate it is less efficient as there will be more heat losses.
and there is no way you have a 70 and pulled 67 out of it with that rate of usage (and still at 9% too)

my record with a 85kWhr is 75.9 kWhr and that was a 4 1/2 hr trip of 242 miles (hills and driving slow)

try doing the same charge sometime but then driving really gently and compare the Whr/km to the power used - should see a pretty big difference

Last edited:
1. You cannot use all 90 kWh, some will always be in reserve to protect the battery. If the charge gets too low, the battery cannot be recharged. The car's software prevents this.
2. Energy used or lost while the car is off is not added to that tally. This includes preheating with the app and "vampire" losses at the very least.
3. The percentage shown is an estimate. You may or may not be able to drive past 0%.

1. You cannot use all 90 kWh, some will always be in reserve to protect the battery. If the charge gets too low, the battery cannot be recharged. The car's software prevents this.
2. Energy used or lost while the car is off is not added to that tally. This includes preheating with the app and "vampire" losses at the very least.
3. The percentage shown is an estimate. You may or may not be able to drive past 0%.

It is possible more in detail about it? can I have just such a case, the main battery is low too, and I can`t charge the ring port is lit in red.
It can not charge, the port is open but does not burn white.

Hi pappie,

Is it possible that after charging stopped and before you read 67.2 kWh, the car was parked for a few hours? Any consumption that occurs while the car is not in drive mode is not counted by the trip meter. For example if charging stopped at 3 am and you left at 9 am, the car would consume a lot of energy for battery thermal management, balancing the battery and connectivity. In cold weather this passive consumption is about 4 kWh per day. None of this counts towards the 67.2 kWh. Similarly after you drove off but before you read the 67.2 kWh, if you left the car parked for a while (air conditioning running or car turned off), consumption during that time is not counted by the trip meter.

The 85 kWh battery has about 75.9 kWh usable capacity. I would expect the 90 kWh to have about 80.4 kWh usable capacity. I can't think of any other reason except passive consumption.

I hope others can use this thread or the 90D Range slowly declining thread and report development of 90D range.

Tesla has claimed that it`s only a range presentation problem. In other words, the range is supposed to be unchanged, even though the car reports is as sinking. One should still get 6% better range in the 90D than the 85D.

However - the energy each km/mile contains is a fixed numer. (i.e. one rated mile equals xxxWh). If users now see that the amount of kWh usable is in line with the range numbers, and that usable kWh is rapidly dropping, then Teslas claim that it`s only a range display issue is incorrect.