Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Barrie supercharger to Bluemountain Collingwood & back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 70D and I live in the Greater Toronto Area. Next week, I plan to go to ski at Blue mountain Collingwood and stay there overnight. The hotel that I am staying at doesn't even allow 110v charging.

I will need to charge at the Barrie SUPERCHARGER. But The question is, will I be able to make it to Blue mountain Collingwood AND back to the Barrie Supercharger in the winter (with only one charge) ?

I have a 70D and I live in the Greater Toronto Area. Next week, I plan to go to ski at Blue mountain Collingwood and stay there overnight. The hotel that I am staying at doesn't even allow 110v charging.

I will need to charge at the Barrie SUPERCHARGER. But The question is, will I be able to make it to Blue mountain Collingwood AND back to the Barrie Supercharger in the winter (with only one charge) ?
Shouldn't be a problem as far as I can see

Use this app:
EV Trip Planner

Plug in the round trip, car type (use 60 as there is no 70 option), conditions (temperature) and you will see that you do need to charge either on way there/back/both.

I helpfully plugged in this for the total journey (Markham -> Collingwood -> Barrie) using a Model S 60 to check your scenario:

Speed Multiplier 1.2 (presumes you will be driving at speed of traffic on 400, namely, 115 km/h or more)
Cabin Temp (°C) 22.2
Ext Temp (°C) 2

Distance 199.9 km
Driving Time 2:06
Total Energy Used 48.6 kWh 261 RKM
Average Efficiency 243 Wh/km

Looks like you will need to charge only on the return leg. 70D should have more than enough RKM (rated km) if you range charge to 100% at home before you start. You only need 261 RKM to get back to the supercharger on your return leg, probably will have 100 RKM remaining when you plug in.

Story:

We went to Gravenhurst (much further than Collingwood) from north Toronto last month and charged for 20 minutes on the way there (and grabbed a quick snack at McD's) and one hour on way home (to eat dinner).

We actually charged briefly on the way there because I forgot to range charge and we left home with only 80% battery, and wanted to make sure our day trips in Gravenhurst were not going to be a problem. If we had ranged charged to 100% our S85 like we normally do for long trips, we'd have only needed to use supercharger on the return trip leg.

Addendum:

Do NOT forget to range charge. My wife was not impressed with me on this mistake. She plugs her Tesla in at all times when it's in the garage, and expects it to charge to 90% every night, on the off chance we need to be able to drive anywhere in North America the next morning (I'm only half joking), so we always leave the charging to 90% (the default), and only change to 100% for big trips like this. I simply forgot to set the limit to 100% the night before. ARGGG!!! Oh well, I happen to like McD's fries once in a (long) while...

Last edited:
She plugs her Tesla in at all times when it's in the garage, and expects it to charge to 90% every night, on the off chance we need to be able to drive anywhere in North America the next morning (I'm only half joking), so we always leave the charging to 90% (the default), and only change to 100% for big trips like this. I simply forgot to set the limit to 100% the night before. ARGGG!!! Oh well, I happen to like McD's fries once in a (long) while...
Doesn't everyone plug in pretty much whenever in the garage and charge to 90%? I do as well.

Let us know how it goes, especially what kind of drop in range you experience while the car is parked overnight.

1. Don't stay at that hotel again.

2. You probably won't need to charge in Barrie on the way there, but I suggest that you do - and charge to 100%. There is some loss of range each day that the car just sits there. Also, the first 20 minutes that you drive home - with a cold battery - you will be using much more energy.

3. You have plenty of range to do this trip even on really cold days.

You will be more than fine if you top up in Barrie. I can get to Collingwood and back to Toronto with my S85. I will be up this weekend and have a 30A/240 plug in my garage in Collingwood - message me if you need it. It is listed on Plug Share and I used to get a lot of requests to use it (often by Tesla themselves) but since they put the supercharger in I have not been asked once.

You will be more than fine if you top up in Barrie. I can get to Collingwood and back to Toronto with my S85. I will be up this weekend and have a 30A/240 plug in my garage in Collingwood - message me if you need it. It is listed on Plug Share and I used to get a lot of requests to use it (often by Tesla themselves) but since they put the supercharger in I have not been asked once.

I've also had visits from a few Collingwood travelers, who go up/down via Airport Road. It's hilly, and chilly, and the S60's in particular give folks a bit of range anxiety.
I'm near Airport and Hwy #9, with an HPWC on plugshare. You are welcome to use it if travelling that way. (PS, the HPWC is on the barn, and there's a kitchen, free coffee and a bathroom)