Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walgreens planning to offer EV charging nationwide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the first retailers to wake up and smell some coffee. Where art thou Walmart, Dennys, etc?

Press release: Walgreens Expects to Become Nation’s Largest Retail Host of Electric Vehicle Charging Stations

Walgreens plans to offer electric vehicle (EV) charging stations at approximately 800 locations across the country by the end of the year, making it the nation’s largest retail host. ... The charging stations will feature either a high-speed direct current (DC) charger that can add 30 miles of range in as little as 10 minutes of charging time, or a Level 2 charger that can add up to 25 miles of range per hour of charge.

Great news! With the success of the Leaf, this just may get the ball rolling!

I didn't repost it because Blink has been delivering more press releases than substance, but they did announce a partnership to put charging spots at some Ikea stores.
Each and every deal is nice as it starts paving the way towards ubiquitous charging while shopping someday.

One of the first retailers to wake up and smell some coffee. Where art thou Walmart, Dennys, etc?
This is great news. Thanks.
I would have thought someone like Starbucks would have stepped up. Would rather spend a few hours there than a Walgreens but as was mentioned, there are usually other stores with something to do near a Walgreens. Still, great news. Maybe others with catch on too.

If the Model S goes with whatever the J1772 version of fast charging will be, then their fast chargers may not work but having access to level 2 chargers is still good.

Last edited:
My only peeve is that, for marketing and convenience to power, all of the charging spaces are likely to be placed at the front of the store, probably next to the handicapped parking. Very bad. Unlike in the handicapped parking, lazy boneses know they won't get ticketed in the charging spots.

My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Walgreens Installing 800 Charge Stations before 2012
oakwcj said:
Today's S.F. Chronicle has an article about Walgreens installations in the Bay Area. These are scheduled to open next week:

-- 1333 Castro St., San Francisco.

-- 3001 Taraval St., San Francisco.

-- 191 E. Third Ave., San Mateo.

-- 4070 S. El Camino Real, San Mateo.

-- 2799 S. White Road, San Jose.

-- 780 E. Santa Clara St., San Jose.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/20/BUSD1LK72I.DTL