Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners on LinkedIn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rugbymonk

2008 Roadster #287; 2017 Model S
Apr 25, 2010
NJ
I just started "Tesla Roadster Owners Group" on LinkedIn
My main goal (since teslamotors cannot devote a resource to it) is to exchange regional locations of HPCs so we can do some road-tripping on the East Coast as easily as the West Coasters can!
I will try and limit members to real owners (via confirmation with NY sales) who are willing to share their HPCs with fellow owners.
Please join with your zip code.
Thanks!

I will try and limit members to real owners (via confirmation with NY sales) who are willing to share their HPCs with fellow owners.

Perhaps the group name might be better as 'East coast Tesla Roadster Owners Group', since your post indicates you won't accept West coast 'real owners'. Or did I misread? It would be nice to keep the global name for a global group ... just my thoughts.

Is recargo.com not open enough to support this? I've not tried to add a new charging site, but they do have both public and private stations listed. ... or is your goal to limit the membership to actual owners and thus make the listings more private than recargo?

My main goal (since teslamotors cannot devote a resource to it) is to exchange regional locations of HPCs
please consider adding the HPC's to the Open Charge Map database so that we can all benefit from the data;

http://openchargemap.org/

once the Charging Station is in the OCM database then you are free to use the data for any purpose including commercial applications. All we are trying to do is to provide a single global database that developers can use and save us all the pain of supporting more than 60 different websites;

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openchargemap/forums/forum/1250135/topic/3889257

Last edited:
Is recargo.com not open enough to support this?
with respect, I do not think recargo can be considered 'open'... they seem very reluctant to share 'their' Charging Station data with third parties despite numerous statements to the contrary... here's the official line (I'll let you guess what the response is to a request to share);

"DOES RECARGO HAVE AN API OR AN XML FEED? CAN I USE YOUR DATA ON MY WEBSITE OR APP?

Well … probably yes, it depends on the project. If you have an interest in building an interface to Recargo, or using our data in some way, we would love to hear about it. We are always looking to spread the EV gospel. Please contact us and we will work something out."

http://www.recargo.com/help/topic/13

I think it's a great idea but, it's another fragmented list of charging stations. Can we try to adopt a single solution like OpenChargeMap?

Kevin; do you have anything in the roadmap for 'private groups' i.e. those with bespoke chargers those that only want/need to share with other similar or is that moot?

PlugShare is another platform for home users sharing charging points.

Kevin; do you have anything in the roadmap for 'private groups' i.e. those with bespoke chargers those that only want/need to share with other similar or is that moot?
this already happens to some extent... the Zero Carbon World Charging Stations are 'flagged' in the database so that we can easily extract and display just the ZCW sites if we wish. Obviously, it would also be possible to come up with multiple layers of access if that's something that the OCM users and EV community desires.

We have a developer community of ~20 people now so if someone wants something developed quickly I'm sure some of those people are available to hire... so much easier and cheaper than developing a database from scratch and trying to get people to support it :wink:

The really big win for us all is that OCM only require the Charging Station information entered once, then it's available for every developer to use for free....

Recargo is pretty useless on the East coast IMHO. It's the last site I check. Open Charge Map is much better but often incomplete or inaccurate. Unfortunately you have to look at 3 or more different sites to find what you need. Then you check with other Roadster owners or your Tesla contact to find where the "real" charging stations are (70 amps). I appreciate your efforts with LinkedIn but I pretty much agree with mpt that we should focus on one site like OpenChargeMap.